Goodbye Jesus

Visible Jesus Tattoo - What Would You Do?

MasterV

So, just got a question. I wonder what you guys would do about the following conundrum. As an 18 year old, deeply religious charismatic christian I got a tattoo. A jesus fish, fairly visible on my underarm, and not too small. Now I want to get rid of the thing. Sadly I live in Norway. The thing about Norway and tattoo removals is that it is extremely expensive, and we do not have a lot of money. Not yet anyway, just finished my M.Sc. and continuing with a Ph.D. so I am not getting rich anytime soon.

So, what would you do? I have had friends suggest I turn it into a 1950s rocket ship. Or a DNA strand. Or a Darwin Fish or perhaps have a dinosaur eat it. In either case I do not know how the artist would deal with ΙΧΘΥΣ written in it. Anyway, would you wait and save up, would  you go to a tattoo artist and save a buck? I really really loathe the thing to be honest.

Goodbye Jesus
  • Super Moderator

If thine eye offends thee, pluck it out.

Nah. Seriously, how many guys have a tattoo of their ex-girlfriend's name? If it bothers you that much, seek out an artist who specializes in cover ups. They can do magic with an undesirable tattoo. Much cheaper than removal and will probably look better, too. Not to mention less pain!

Welcome to the forums! :)

If it were me, I'd probably get a coverup, especially if it bothers you. My older brother has a cross on his right shoulder and I asked him if he was going to get it covered up (he deconverted a few years ago), but he said he looks at it like a part of his history, so he's fine with it.

On a side note, I have always wanted to visit Norway. When I was in highschool (late 1990s) and the internet was taking off, I got involved in mIRC chat and frequented a chat room that was frequented by a lot of Norwegians (mostly males). I got to know quite a few of them and chatted with them on the phone from time to time. I had big plans to run away to Norway after I graduated, but it never ended up happening. I used to know quite a few phrases in Norwegian that they had taught me, but I long since forgot them.

If it bothers you that much, seek out an artist who specializes in cover ups. They can do magic with an undesirable tattoo. Much cheaper than removal and will probably look better, too. Not to mention less pain!

Agreed. I've seen some amazing coverups. You wouldn't believe what they can do.

So, just got a question. I wonder what you guys would do about the following conundrum. As an 18 year old, deeply religious charismatic christian I got a tattoo. A jesus fish, fairly visible on my underarm, and not too small. Now I want to get rid of the thing. Sadly I live in Norway. The thing about Norway and tattoo removals is that it is extremely expensive, and we do not have a lot of money. Not yet anyway, just finished my M.Sc. and continuing with a Ph.D. so I am not getting rich anytime soon.

So, what would you do? I have had friends suggest I turn it into a 1950s rocket ship. Or a DNA strand. Or a Darwin Fish or perhaps have a dinosaur eat it. In either case I do not know how the artist would deal with ΙΧΘΥΣ written in it. Anyway, would you wait and save up, would  you go to a tattoo artist and save a buck? I really really loathe the thing to be honest.

There is a tv reality show about tattoo mess ups and how this one tattoo artist creates new images out of them. That's not a bad idea, making a new creation out of it. Or you could leave it be, and let it serve as a reminder of how far you've come on your personal journey away from religion. smile.png Either way, good luck.

easy peasy ^^^

Congrats on starting your PhD! You are entering into a storied tradition of throwing away the next several years of your life in endless bouts of sweat and misery. I have recently emerged from these trials. Crazy as it sounds, that's my way of trying to be encouraging. Yeah, the pay sucks, but trust me it gets a lot better once you secure a real job.

In the mean time, I'd suggest the Darwin fish. I've wanted to stick one on my car for awhile, but for some reason my wife (who's no more Christian than I am) won't let me.

Put legs on that fish.  And don't worry about the Greek.  It just means fish.  Tell people you and it evolved.

mwc

• Like 4

I think a dinosaur eating a fish that has the writings on it might be pretty fun. And the darwin fish too...it gives the thing a whole new meaning. Like faith can not withstand science.

Also if you just keep it the way it is...for that reason it is quite helpful that you live in a country that has short summers...except if you are one of those fortunate people not freezing that fast and wearing short sleeves all year long.

think of a style you like and go on google images.I am heavily tatooed and i always go there for ideas.Your tattoo artist can tweek it a bit or advise about good ideas/fusions based on print outs you do of the things you like.You can celebrate your new life by using new concepts as a cover up and obliterate another part of your christian past which i imagine you would find very satifying.

You could get one of those Just Say No cross-out symbols tattooed over it.

• Like 1