Goodbye Jesus

The Pattern Of Deconverting Loved Ones

UnFundEd

I'm curious to hear from some of you who have been on this path for a while, and who have (intentionally or not) led a spouse or significant other down this path as well. I suspect that there is sort of a template for how this usually works, consisting of:

1. Coming out to them

2. Being asked "Why?"

3. Responding to the question with various observations and evidence

4. A cycle of debates over time

5. A period of silence and pondering

6. An announcement by the spouse that he/she has also deconverted

Has anyone had an experience that followed a different pattern? What time period does this tend to take? In my own experience, I can look back 5 and 10 years and see that I was already on the path of deconversion, but didn't realize it. If folks in your inner circle are not already headed this direction, I imagine it takes longer than if they are already questioning.

i'm bring up questions and making out small points to some of my family. especially the younger teenage cousins. i wanna get SOME free thinking going on. at least get it going in the younger ones. *behind the backs of out parents*

like, where does god get HIS morals from? don't they seem suspiciously manmade?

did you know the bible is almost completely anonymous?

isn't it odd that a world wide flood 6000 years ago went unnoticed by other civilizations?

i haven't dropped the "a" word to my family. but my coworkers and friends know that i am an atheist.

i'm bring up questions and making out small points to some of my family. especially the younger teenage cousins. i wanna get SOME free thinking going on. at least get it going in the younger ones. *behind the backs of out parents*

like, where does god get HIS morals from? don't they seem suspiciously manmade?

did you know the bible is almost completely anonymous?

isn't it odd that a world wide flood 6000 years ago went unnoticed by other civilizations?

i haven't dropped the "a" word to my family. but my coworkers and friends know that i am an atheist.

I would imagine that the subtle approach is used by many folks. In many regions and families the Xian tide is somewhat overwhelming.

That's pretty much how it happened under my roof.  The extended family will never deconvert.