Goodbye Jesus

To Be Christian Is To Refuse To Enjoy Life

SBeeland

Most Xians don't follow their Babble's own laws because of the contradictions, and simply because it's too much bother. The fundies are one thing; the rank-and-file Xians believe that Jesus is good, Satan is bad, and going to church and saying your prayers is important to help become a good person. That's it. Nothing about following the Babble's laws, memorizing Babble verses, or even reading the goddamned book. That's the Xianity I grew up with. The only problem I have with that is you believe, just like any fundy, that going to church, praying, and being a Xian are necessary to be a good person. That makes it hard to talk to people like that about deconverting. My folks are like that, they practice minimally, aren't all wound up about it, but are certain that believing and praying and attending Mass is necessary for good people to do. They don't entirely realize that you can be a good person be just applying your natural reason and natural compassion, cutting out the middle man entirely :shrug:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sofia

• Amethyst

• Vixentrox

• SBeeland

I believe it was Jaded who originally posted one of my favorite quotes on the ExC forums.

"Christianity: the haunting fear that someone, somewhere is having a good time." :wicked:

Wow! It's nice to be remembered and quoted Woody (and not in my bosses office!)

For too many christians it is true. I have seen allot of people who put their own happiness in life off because they feel that they are "earning" their reward in the afterlife. Mostly I have seen people in dead end jobs, unhappy relationships, giving up hobbies and interests, passing up chances to go out or on vacation for harmless and innocent fun. What bothers me about it isnt that their religion is keeping them from enjoying life, but that they are using it to justify their own misery. They can mope around and do nothing because if they spend their time praying or studying it's like contributing to the afterlife 401k.

I was talking to a friend I haven't seen in a while. She hates her job, lives with her alcoholic parents, has almost no friends, never get's out and feels that she doesn't have the skills to do anything other what she is stuck in. When I asked her why, she told me that it didn't matter, she has jesus, she was born unworthy and the only thing that matters is the afterlife. There is nothing sadder in life than someone who's only ambition is to crush their remaining ambition. I wanted to sit her down and rip her fairy tail apart...tell her it is all bullshit and get her head out of her ass. Probably not the best approach I'm thinking...

The trouble is that religion is not what kills people's enjoyment. The miserable christians where going to be miserable anyway. Maybe they would have been miserable muslims, mormons, raleans, scientologists, atheists, angry hippies....whatever. Screwed up people are going to be screwed up, religion just gives them a way to justify it to themselves and those around them. Many are forced into it by family, friends, or society. Either they end up being happy well adjusted religious folk or they get out if they can't deal with it. There are the happy parts of the bible and their are the angry parts, you can find justification for either lifestyle (or wonder if god is really schizophrenic or just those who made him up!)

Yeah, a lot of people are forced into religion but don't have the courage to leave because they fear rejection or whatever reason(s). I know Christians who enjoy their lives and I know Christians who don't.

They use religion as an excuse to not take a few risks once in a while, even if the risk is just going to see a fun movie that might involve something that their church doesn't approve of, or listening to music on the radio that isn't on a Christian station. And because they are afraid of taking risks, they see the people who do and judge them harshly. At least, they are the kinds of people I grew up around.

Wow! It's nice to be remembered and quoted Woody (and not in my bosses office!)

Hehe, I hear that. Damn walls and their damn ears... :lmao: