Goodbye Jesus

Pathological Lying

RealityCheck

I'm a realistic person, I know it isn't possible to tell the truth 100% of the time.  There are just individuals who I consider pathological liars who've been present in my life.  It's impossible to juggle so many lies at the same time hence they eventually slip up.  They've been like a cancer, eating away at my trust towards people.  They've slowed my recovery from religion and are almost impossible to detect initially.

I just had to put this small rant out there as it's been an issue that's come up again recently.

If they lie, that's their problem, not yours. Often it's just a defense mechanism anyway.

If they lie, that's their problem, not yours. Often it's just a defense mechanism anyway.

That depends on the lie. If you don't catch a lie soon enough, it can cause you a lot of problems.

I have a family member who's a pathological liar and likely a psycopath or sociopath. Since this person was declared unwelcome at family gatherings, there have been zero fights at said gatherings, when it used to happen every time. This person is a silver tongued liar, easily manipulating people who haven't known them long enough to have been stabbed in the back. They've gone through their life, destroying other people's happiness and finances with no sense of guilt or shame (at least they seem to have realized that violent felonies are no longer in their best interest). That's not the actions of someone's who's been hurt and just can't trust enough to be honest; this is someone who lies maliciously for their own short term benefit with no concern for who they might hurt in the process. Who makes lies a pattern of their entire life, and never appoligizes or tries to make anything right when they're called on it. The best you can do is cut conact with them to protect yourself, and hope they don't go lieing about you to your friends or the cops in an effort to hurt you.

On some matters they are better off if they are lying than when they actually believing their lies.  bill