Goodbye Jesus

The Big Question

ironhorse

Here is Wisdom:

Trying to understand some people is like trying to smell the color 9.

Once you understand this, then you may understand ironhorse.

Really people We don't even know this guy. 

I checked the book of life twice.

He isn't in there.

• Like 4

Here is Wisdom:

He isn't in there.

There's many a true word spoken in jest.

Here is Wisdom:

He isn't in there.

There's many a true word spoken in jest.
I know what you mean. I was JEST passing through, and I typed that in all seriousness.

• Super Moderator

Who here IS in the Book of Lice?

• Super Moderator

Er, LIFE.

No!  No...  Florduh!

You almost had it right, there.  The Book of Lies.  ;)

No!  No...  Florduh!

You almost had it right, there.  The Book of Lies.  wink.png

No, that would be the Bible.  Florduh was talking about a different book that is mentioned in the Book of Lies.

And this...

http://www.ex-christian.net/topic/62720-no-shit-sherlock/page-28#.U_sSF_ldVzM

Posted Yesterday, 09:08 AM

bornagainathiest, on 15 Aug 2014 - 9:04 PM, said:snapback.png

Ironhorse,

Do you agree that the cause of science is attributable only to the skills of observation, analysis and logical deduction?

(Bump!)

(Re-Bump)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Super Moderator

And this...

http://www.ex-christian.net/topic/62720-no-shit-sherlock/page-28#.U_sSF_ldVzM

Posted Yesterday, 09:08 AM

bornagainathiest, on 15 Aug 2014 - 9:04 PM, said:snapback.png

Ironhorse,

Do you agree that the cause of science is attributable only to the skills of observation, analysis and logical deduction?

(Bump!)

(Re-Bump)

Bumped on BAA's behalf.  Ironhorse, please make good on the promise you have made to address all of the issues put before you.

Do we Extians detest IH's POV because it is so cold?  No. Do we detest it because it is too hot?  No.

We detest it because it is lukewarm. 

• Like 2

The Big Question

Does God exists?

This, I think, is the big question in life.

Strange that people think of their religious beliefs in black and white, all or nothing terms. No wonder religion is waning in the West. There is very little creative thought.

If one was to seriously ask this question then the very first question to answer would be… "what is a god?"

The entire premise screams for a definition, and then a method for examining that definition. Then you would have to take it to, "How can we examine this - what evidence is required?" and then "what could be the nature of this thing?" and so on and on down the line. You may come to the question of who this thing may be (after establishing that it is existent and then sentient).

Otherwise it's all speculation and imagination. I know the OP assumes that 'god' means Yahweh… but that is also a very broad speculation, considering the history of religion. There are many forms of 'gods', some much, much older than Yahweh.

What is the methodology?

If one was to seriously ask this question then the very first question to answer would be… "what is a god?"

The entire premise screams for a definition, and then a method for examining that definition. Then you would have to take it to, "How can we examine this - what evidence is required?" and then "what could be the nature of this thing?" and so on and on down the line. You may come to the question of who this thing may be (after establishing that it is existent and then sentient).

Otherwise it's all speculation and imagination. I know the OP assumes that 'god' means Yahweh… but that is also a very broad speculation, considering the history of religion. There are many forms of 'gods', some much, much older than Yahweh.

What is the methodology?

Thank you Ravenstar! I've harped on that very issue for a while now. Setting asside all of the man-made, religious notions of what a god is (the essential characteristics differ depending on the religion), we really have no working definition of what a god even would be. What characteristics must a being have to be accurately called a god? Religion starts with very specific presuppositions about what a god is, it's characteristics, wishes, etc., based on no evidence. Then, in an attempt to validate it's views, it attempts to work backward toward supporting a general god concept, a concept it already presupposes to be true. Appologetics is the epitome of an exericise is confirmation bias.