Goodbye Jesus

What Convinced You That Christianity Was True?

Brother Jeff

I was born into it. Christian school first grade through a college degree, so it would have been pretty surprising if I hadn't gone along with it. I also really thought that the things I was told about the bible, miracles, history, science, my particular religion and it's founders were true authentic genuine facts... I liked being right about everything because God said so.

I was born into it, in a fairly closed rural community. Literally everyone in my life who I had any respect for all had the same story. There was no choice but to believe. Problem was, as soon as I got into my teens and ran into other ways of looking at theology, I jumped ship and started exploring other religious experiences. It didn't set well with the closed community that my parents were part of.

From the time I was able to read relatives were taking advantage of the fact, buying me children's Easter books and things like that. So there's the introduction to Jesus. It just "made sense" to me that God was real. I would go to different churches and had no idea what the hell they were talking about. I had to be about 4, 5 or 6.

I wasn't sold until I was in my mid teens when I got my heart broken by a boy. I thought all the events leading up to that were God's way of showing me how cruel life can be. This was the purity culture talking to me. I thought that if I believed if I was set apart from "the world" then everything would be right and good and I would never have to worry about getting my heart broken ever again. I'd wait on gods good ol' timing to give me the husband of my dreams and I would have saved myself and you know- more purity BS.

I was going to church 4/7 days of the week. But I was also going to school and doing the bible club and swimming. I admit I had some fun times going to the church I went to, but I just grew lazy at trying to keep up my salvation. I didn't even know why I was still going every service. This is the second church I went to. When I was 15 I would walk to this church up the street from me. It was really spooky, y'all. Really spiritual and played on emotion A LOT.

I was brought up immersed in Christianity in the Bible belt.  I was "saved" at age 3, mostly because my older sister had accepted Jesus into here heart recently, and I thought I should too.  Even so, it never really "worked" for me, regardless of the fact that I believed what I was taught.

I began doubting in high school, and probably would have left the faith at that time if my parents had not intervened.  I think they sensed that they were losing me, and waged a year long campaign of constant verbal and emotional abuse along with extremely strict rules regarding all aspects of my behavior.  I spent way too many evenings being lectured and yelled at for 4 hours straight.  It was all over mild teenage issues - I did well in school, never looked twice at drugs or alcohol, was too insecure to approach girls, and didn't get into any kind of trouble.

The summer after that school year I was a depressed, emotional wreck for obvious reasons.  At that point I attended a 2 week long Christian summer camp designed to prepare high school kids for the evil brainwashing professors we would soon be facing in college.  Three days into the camp I had a breakdown during worship.  After all the abuse I had suffered, I was able to embrace the idea that I was a horrible and utterly sinful person deserving of no love or mercy.  In that frame of mind, I wholeheartedly embraced the love of Jesus that was being offered.

Afterwards, my parents fully embraced me, stopped the abuse, and resumed normal expressions of love.  I rode the emotional high from this experience and my parents acceptance for about 3 years.  It took another 2 years to conclude that Christianity is implausible and that my personal experiences of religious fervor can be easily explained by my parent's abuse and my resultant longing for acceptance and love.

• Like 2

Guest sweetcakes

Nothing actually, I was brought up in a Christian household as the years went by I started to stray away from it. Like my status says, a few summers ago I was watching this documentary called Inside Natures Giants and they did anatomy on giant animals in the wild, they even talked about evolution and that's when I started to believe in evolution at the time and still strayed away from Christianity until 2013 fall that's when I became a born again Christian, something convinced me that evolution is truth, the proof is all in front of me when I watched the documentary, with Christianity, nothing really convinced me.

On top of that all when I hear/read about Christians and their testimonies, I figured that to be a Christian you need some over the top testimony to show people what God did something in your life, the things I would read just made me felt worse like holy shit. "I was once a stripper but I felt God calling to me" or some shit like that. 

But really...nothing convinced me.