Goodbye Jesus

What Do We Know Is False About God?

directionless

I don't know what is false about gods because I don't know what is true about gods.

So I think we should ask that question.  What is true about gods?  What do we know for certain?  What even is a god?  I'm pretty certain we know nothing, except what lies in rumors and stories, but we presume to know a great deal.

mwc

I was thinking we can choose any definition of God from any religion and find problems in those claims to get a better idea of what claims seem to be possible.

On the question of what is a god, that is a hard one. How about: beings superior to humans (very long lifespan or immortal, greater abilities) but able to affect the lives of humans and respond positively or negatively to human behavior. Of course those gods might in turn have their own gods. Like ET aliens would be gods to humans.

Another approach is to consider the question of supernatural. If everything is deterministic, then it seems to me there is no room left for supernatural things like souls, freewill, etc. I have always hoped that QM might provide an interface for supernatural influence over the natural (sort of like Descartes imagined with the pineal gland), but I don't understand QM.

That is an interesting problem. smile.png

It is false that Gods are falsifiable.

I have heard that, but I disagree. I suppose it comes down to definitions of "Gods" and "falsifiable".

The only proof I can imagine for that claim is that society will eventually refine its concept of God to reduce cognitive dissonance, but we all know that cognitive dissonance is very strong for some Christian theologies. Cognitive dissonance only happens when believers think. As long as the falsehoods are only obvious to a few people, the religion can ignore the cognitive dissonance. Also as human knowledge of science, archaeology, and history increase, we tend to discover new falsehoods in our concepts of God and mess-up the previous concept.

I've never taken a philosophy class. Maybe what you say would make more sense if I knew more.

it comes down to proof.

Christians claim something that they cannot prove. The burden rests soley on them to do so. I simply feel that without material evidence that god is real in the living world of the now that he is not and never was there.

It is not about philosophy.

they say a man named jesus died for our sins and rose to heaven, commited miracles, defied physics and the universal law we are all forced to follow being that we live in this universe. I say show me the proof. Faith proves nothing.

it comes down to proof.

Christians claim something that they cannot prove. The burden rests soley on them to do so. I simply feel that without material evidence that god is real in the living world of the now that he is not and never was there.

It is not about philosophy.

they say a man named jesus died for our sins and rose to heaven, commited miracles, defied physics and the universal law we are all forced to follow being that we live in this universe. I say show me the proof. Faith proves nothing.

That is an good position, but I like to speculate. smile.png I'm curious which concepts of God are almost certainly false.

For example if we can show that probably the historical Jesus only claimed to be a prophet and expected the "kingdom of God" in only a few years, then most of the Christian concepts of God are almost certainly false.

Or if we can show that the world is deterministic, then that would rule-out many concepts like souls, freewill, etc.

Jesus is not omniscient.  When he said that "some in this crowd will still be alive when I return to earth" it did not happen.  

Jesus is not omniscient.  When he said that "some in this crowd will still be alive when I return to earth" it did not happen.

It's kind of weird that this failed prediction is in all the synoptic gospels and Christians can shrug it off. I remember being bothered by this verse each time I read the gospels, but I just moved on to the next confusing or uncomfortable verse. It's like camouflage. smile.png