Goodbye Jesus

I Live In An Intellectual Desert.

RealityCheck

Ha-ha! :-)

Just having fun...

It's the same here… I'm no brainiac but decent conversation is hard to find irl.

sad.png

Especially at my work I feel lonely often due to intellect. I call it IQ lonely. I always wonder where the people are who actually use their brains to think instead of reading gossip magazines...and watching dumb sitcoms. There is one girl I work with and I need to contain myself every time to not be mean and all because she asks the stupidest questions, makes the dumbest comments sometimes just to keep up a conversation when you just want to ponder your thoughts...even when it is obvious that you don't want to be bothered.

Now just starting my latin class as a guest hearer at the University of Zurich I feel so good when I go there. Somehow it feels good to be among others who are in for some brain challenges. It is so different from any school experience I have had. Like almost everyone is in the room about fifteen to twenty minutes early. Never experienced this before. People pay attention and have done their homework...you hardly ever hear those stupid questions about how much you had to do to pass the exams anyways because everyone knows he is there to learn for himself and not for the profs...and knows where to look what he needs to know instead of asking. I just enjoy this atmosphere.

I started to go see poetry slams and other things like that. There are different folks from the ones you meet at work. Since I am at campus three times a week I also see all the activities that are going on. It is a vibrant place with much energy. Parties, poetry slams, talks, whatever...Just the other day I walked towards my classroom and heard music, looking down from the gallery into the patio I saw some musicians playing a tune and it was pretty awesome.

Isn't there any University or library near you? Maybe you can find stuff there and maybe just going there helps to put you into another mood. I know for me it does.

Over here in Germany there's lots of hostility too to those who are using their heads for more than just seal their throats against rainfall.

That kind of surprises me as nearly every German I've ever met seemed very educated and thoughtful.  Perhaps the ones that travel are different. 

I know the Italians hate the German tourists though.  They think they are drunken brutes. smile.png

Yes Vigile, people who travel are different. Very different. When I travel and meet Swiss people, they usually are intellectually on my level. When I am home at work I wonder where those people have hidden (though I have found them to be at the University...)...Also it depends where they travel to and how. There are those touristy tourists who no one really likes...and the individual travelers who are quite different.

• Super Moderator

Is it too soon to talk about the Superbowl?

Some people are still talking about the last one.

Who the f* is Superbowl? cool.png

• Like 1

Who the f* is Superbowl? cool.png

The Superbowl isn't a 'who'; it's a 'what'.

The Superbowl is what a person needs when they get a box of Cinnamon Toast Crunch breakfast cereal so they'll have a container large enough to hold the entire contents of the box.

And here I thought everyone knew what a Superbowl is for ... Sheesh!

Isn't there any University or library near you? Maybe you can find stuff there and maybe just going there helps to put you into another mood. I know for me it does.

There is a small library in this town, I sometimes like to go and hang out there.  There aren't any universities within a reasonable driving distance. 

With that said, I miss my university campus.  It seems like everyone was knowledgeable and passionate.  I remember how there was booths set up promoting some kind of cause or projects.  Sometimes the college of engineering would have some kind of vehicle or device they've designed on display.  You could readily converse with experts on any field if you wanted to, truly it was a buffet for the mind.  Of course at the time I took that for granted.  As many of my friends graduated, they set aside their passion for knowledge.  I haven't lost it yet.

I don't really think these people who don't talk about intellectual things are dumb. I think they simply choose to live the life they live within whatever myths they adopt rather than seriously dealing with reality. They don't want to have to deal with harsh realities of this life. So they bury themselves in their myths.        bill

Some of them are dumb.  But I agree with your overall point.  I believe that avoiding reality out of fear is a childlike trait.  When I let go of belief in myths and faced reality I had finally grown up.  People stay in the developmental stage of religious belief because they fear growing up, they perceive a need for a parental authority figure to define them and tell them what to do and what to think.  Every single day for the last 7 months I have reflected on and celebrated my freedom from that. Vive la deconversion!

Religion is a way to cover up the fear that life is chaos and that we have little control. :-) Others embrace/ignore the chaos. Some drink. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

In high school, I felt so alone, all of the smart people were huge nerds and even my nerd friends were really immature about certain things, and I could never speak with teachers, so all I had were dumb people who preferred small talk so I just read and played video games rather than be too social.

I'm lucky that I have found a few friends at my university who equally enjoy deep conversations as well as fun conversations about tv shows/books etc; and I have great people in my history / political science major where we have great discussions during and after class. I'm trying to work in museums so hopefully, the same or a similar environment will continue into my working career. I love this site because it has such varied topics and conversations goes deep. I joined an ex-c facebook group but it seems that more than half the time, its about silly stuff or about telling each other their problems, (I would rather talk about personal problems to people I know and luckily, my family is good with that apart from the sticking to going to church thing).

I can so fully identify with all of you. Sounds like most of us are in the same boat.

Fweethawt, If you don't mind me asking where in Ohio are you?