Crash Course To Misery

Guest BreathinHeathen

Guest BreathinHeathen

Today I had an incredibly vivid dream that is still making me feel ill to this moment.  While the details are fuzzy, I remember some clear bits and pieces.

For those who do not know, my brother recently got accepted in the holy order he has been applying for.  Since his senior year of high school, he has always wanted to be a priest.  He always has felt that God has been calling him to live the religious life.  He then enrolled in Franciscan University in Steubenville which is one of the most Catholic colleges you can be a student of.  Later, he decided to enroll in the Pontifical University of St. Thomas Aquinas in Rome.  He will be receiving his baccalaureate in Theology this year and will start the process of joining the Dominican order.

In the dream I had, he had finally come to the realization that his Catholic faith was wrong.  Being distraught with a flood of emotions, he became very violent, and abusive to people.  While this was a dream, I'm not sure how inaccurate to what would happen if he did deconvert at this point.  Hiss entire adult life so far has consisted of pursuing a goal that is not real.  He has been brainwashed to believe false ideas about the world around him.

All I want to do is find a way to help him.  I see his future and want to do what I can to stop him from doing something horrible.  It's not only difficult because he would reject any help I would offer, but my family would also push him in a bad direction.  While I have nonreligious family members, most don't care about religion, or wouldn't know how to handle a deconversion like this.  The rest of my family would try to bring him back and would try to halt any progress I might have.  And being that I am the only one in my family that has deconverted so far, I would have to be the one to try and help.

He's spent a large amount of money, time, and energy building a cruise ship bound for an iceberg.  All I can do is watch from the life boat and hope I can save him from drowning.

Has anybody else had siblings or family members who went into a clergy position?  How would you deal with it?

I hear ya.  It's so hard watching someone you love and care about do something that's against their interests.  I would love to see my family members deconvert but at the same time I know the experience would be rough on them.  It's a catch-22.  It's also something we can't really do anything about.  It looks like he's not likely to open his mind in the short term... but there is always the long term... where there's life, there's hope.