Goodbye Jesus

Thoughts From An Article...

Ellinas

I was reading an article this morning - it's in in the current issue of the Fortean Times if anyone is interested in tracking it down, and it may go online once the next issue or two have come out.  It's entitled "Attack of the Poisonous Mushroom Growth" by Robert Guffey.

Anyhow, it was talking about the American reaction to horror comics in the middle of the last century.  It seems to me to boil down to the idea that conservative society tends to look for simplistic scapegoats simply to draw attention away from its' own unacceptable face.

Now, having seen the thread recently about "evangelical war on Hallowe'en", it struck me that conservative Christian attitudes to much of what more well-adjusted individuals would see as a bit of fun or even irrelevant (and Hallowe'en is just one such example) may be in the same category.

"Look how bad the devil is - all these baby eating witches dressing up kids like ghouls...", then is merely a shock tactic for saying "never mind that we worship a genocidal maniac; how dare you all think about something outside of a church that you might actually enjoy..."

Not so much a new analysis perhaps as a different emphasis, but I thought it worth mentioning.