Goodbye Jesus

Sometimes I Sorta Miss Christianity

Yohann

Don't get me wrong, there's more I don't miss and I could never go back (I'm 40s and have been de-converted for about 6 years). I'm just saying that having a personal savior and a ticket to heaven was a pretty sweet deal.

I guess Morpheus from the Matrix was right: "The mind has trouble letting go..."

• Super Moderator

I get it. I myself miss the good old days when Santa brought me shit every Dec. 25th.

And welcome!

I don't miss the religious stuff, but I miss some things we used to have with it. I had a blissfully happy childhood and church stuff meant seeing people and feeling connected. Don't have that now... Mundane life is petty and hollow compared to what I had back then.

Yohann, I think what you're feeling is normal. It seems to be quite common to seek out other forms of spirituality, or rationlize away the problems with Christianity, when a long time believer rejects their faith. That apparently is just part of the process for a lot of folks. Thankfully, that too shall pass.

I still miss my old pastors and priests...

But that's only cuz my scope needs adjusted...

• Like 1

Welcome, Yohann.

I feel more like Fweethawt - probably because I never was quite sure if God existed and I always suspected the game was rigged so that I would go to hell anyway.

I've heard several people here say they miss prayer, or that it was a habit; or that they miss being able to give all their problems to God. I think it's normal; it's part of the grieving and loss.

Is tough giving up your once routine Sabbath Day "..kick back and relax through Sunday skule and services.." .

Thing is for me now there is no need to program life around Weds and Sun evenings to fit "their" schedule.

Use extra time to do what you want, take this gift of hours once wasted by black robed whores, spend it as precious coin.

Having a feeling for Community once you a out of that herd might be hard to find. My only help with that is to pick up an interest and go run with it. 

Please, enjoy your really new life, set a course sail for unknown shores.

kevinL

if you miss it come to church

you won't miss it again

welcome btw

you won't miss it again

welcome btw

Um, I don't think returning to church after 6 years is going to make him feel any better, but maybe that's just me.

Welcome, Yohann, I hear what you're saying.  We're glad you're here.

you won't miss it again

welcome btw

Um, I don't think returning to church after 6 years is going to make him feel any better, but maybe that's just me.

i mean people would be remember why he/she left at the first place

you won't miss it again

welcome btw

i mean people would be remember why he/she left at the first place

Oh I see now, yeah that would probably vaccinate him against it, lol.

I sometimes miss the social aspects of church attendance and the emotional highs I got during worship services, but no way could I ever go back to it. I hear you, though. Welcome to the forums. :)

Then there are the people that are absolute and totally complete assholes for six days and twenty-two hours of the week and when they show up for church, they're the nicest, kindest people you could ever hope to meet.

Church is a breeding ground for hypocrites...

Everyone, meet my father.

• Like 2

I miss it in the same sense I miss my hemmoroids.

• Like 1

Guest Furball

2 reasons i miss it. 1. the fear of hell still resides-2. i have no friends, no one to love and no one to love me back. I am a true loner in every sense of the word. Supposedly reading god's word to me and then praying to him made me feel like i mattered to at least someone. Like that bible verse says, there is a friend that sticks close than a brother, meaning jesus. I wish it were true. 

I don't miss the routine of going to church gatherings, that got boring and forceful after a while. I don't miss having to worry about whether someone knows something in particular about me that only they and God know. Meaning, God might "reveal" something about myself to others that I wouldn't be comfortable telling them myself otherwise. I don't miss people wanting to "lay hands" on me, or pray for me because they thought I was "going through." That scared the shit out of me. Because I'm such a private person, and they wanted to take advantage of that to force me out of my comfort zone all of the time. That's invasion of privacy, crossing boundaries that I never allowed. So, every time I think that I miss anything about my experience with Christianity, I just remind myself of all these things. It's a facade, really. 

Welcome to the forum. 

I understand what your saying, I miss an automatic social circle that got together every week more or less to discuss the thing they all had in common. I wish that I had a book club like that or that my internet friends who discuss tv/movies we love would be able to get together like that but they either live all over the world or there are no social groups anywhere near me that I am interested in. That is one of the most difficult things after deconverting. Its like do you still speak to them, especially since you didn't really have anything in common besides that. Even if you do, like I do with some friends, the religion conversation does inevitably come up.

I don't miss one little thing! But as i have said before the social aspect was never a thing for me and to those who lost friends and a social subculture it must be hard.I suppose life may have been simpler but that was because of the self deceit of my time in Christianity.