Goodbye Jesus

Revival By Stephen King

Deva

This book was just released yesterday on Kindle. I have probably read about 30 pages and it seems promising.

I already like it because it does deal with religion (in part). King has quoted H.P. Lovecraft in the introduction and referenced "The Great God Pan" by Arthur Machen and also dedicated the book to many of the great horror/fantasy writers in Lovecraft's circle of friends. Looking forward to reading something really dark by King again and am hoping this one doesn't disappoint. 

If anyone else is reading it as well, let's discuss.

• Super Moderator

Let me know if I need to read it!

Let me know if I need to read it!

You definitely do if this is the genre you're into...I haven't read Revival yet, but I've read King before and this one is said to have the most terrifying conclusion he has ever written. Can't wait!

• Super Moderator

King's 11/22/63 is my all time favorite book. After that comes 'Salem's LotIt and The Stand. I imagine I'll like this one.

Florduh you have got to give me a little time to read it.  So far, its hard to put down.  It reminds me a bit of Pet Semetary. The only mistake I made was reading some descriptions in advance about it that sort of gave some of it away - but I have no idea how it ends.

I suspect this is partly a book about King's own experiences with religion in the Methodist church and maybe why he is not longer a believer in the Christian God.

Hey Deva!

As a tangent to the main thrust of this thread, I'm a big H.P.Lovecraft fan too.  zDuivel7.gif

Used to play the... Call of Cthulhu  ...rpg, in those ancient, forgotten aeons before 'puters were invented. wink.png

I dunno quite why, but 'modern' (written) horror/weird fiction just doesn't quite grab me so much as the classic stuff from yesteryear. 

Anyway, my fave 'Cthuloid' authors are HPL himself, Clark Ashton Smith, August Derleth, Robert Bloch, Robert E. Howard, Donald Wandrei, Lin Carter and Ambrose Bierce. I've also got a soft spot for Edgar Allen Poe, Algernon Blackwood, Lord Dunsany.  You can also count Ray Bradbury, Fritz Lieber and Roger Zelazny in there - if you want to veer off towards science fiction!

Happy to talk about any of those writers or anything vaguely Cthuloid, if you want, D.  smile.png

Thanks

BAA

Hi BAA:

Yes those old stories pack a heck of a punch! H.P. Lovecraft and Co. wrote some of the darkest fiction ever devised.

I have read at least some stories by all the authors you mention. I was a huge Lovecraft fan in the 90s and even collected some copies of Weird Tales from the 20s and 30s. Read all of Lovecraft's letters published at that time (5 volumes).  I even located the house where H.P. Lovecraft stayed here in Florida when he would go to visit his friend, Robert Barlow. It is still standing and located in DeLand, Florida.

I am about 40% through King's book and he is throwing some hints around.  Great first three or four chapters to this book, and now, unfortunately, its dragging a bit.  We shall see.

OK, its gotten a bit more interesting again..

Ok D!

Dayum!  I can't find it now, but some years ago there was a spoof site you would have liked, called the... Miskatonic University College of Unknown Sciences.

'snot there any more.  

wink.png

BAA.

Finished the book. Well worth a read, especially if you like the Lovecraft mythos- type stories. The ending is great. Its just getting there that is a bit of a struggle.

Without giving away anything I will just say - He had a good thing, I just wish he could have increased the supernatural, visionary stuff, and decreased the amount of detailed material about the life of a rock musician (the main character) the drugs, the sex life, etc. 

I suppose if you are a musician or play guitar or anything then that part would be more enjoyable.

There is a lot in this book that is also anti-Christianity.  I think that many ex-Christians on this site would enjoy that part of the book.

Haven't read any King in years, but loved "Thinner" and "The Running Man" (although the film with Arnie was awful)