Goodbye Jesus

Christian Unions

themonkeyman

Howdie,

In replying to my other post I came up with another wee rant.  Forgive me for this!

When I was in University in 2009 I became a Christian - I decided after much hesitance to join the local Christian Union,  I found that everyone was friendly - They all wanted to know where I came from and more about me,  I got a Spiritual High.

Eventually as the year went on - I joined a small group and Initially I settled in - That was until I started questioning some holes,  Being a new Christian I never knew the biggest taboo was not to question the elephant in the room.  That elephant was the holes and contradictions in the bible.

I asked my Small Group leader leader each week for more and more information until one day they started making excuses that the group was finished etc...   I then found myself one day down near where my Group Leader shared a house so I thought to call in and what I found as I arrived was my entire Small Group getting in cars and driving off.

At that point I felt heart broken - I have ADHD as I say and I find it hard to make friends and one of the hardest things was to find that Christians were the ones who spat me out - I trusted them more than anyone else.

--------------------------------------------------

As time went on I still attended Christian Union and I found that anytime a new person came no-one ever talked to them,  Until I decided one day to start greeting people.  Many people came for a nosy and were not interested but the fact was that the Leadership of the Christian Union never once thanked me for this.

I found come the end of the year the Christians had their Annual Meeting to elect the new Committee and one thing that I observed put me off Christianity was that the people who were on the new committee were 'Close' friends of the old committee.

----------------------------------------------------

When it came down to voting I wrote on my slip 'ITS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE A POPULARITY CONTEST'

At the front they were counting the votes until both old an new committee members were called to see what I wrote down - They all looked at it and then laughed.

After the vote went in favor they said a prayer that went like.

'Dear God thank you for making your vision and plans known,  Thank you for inspiring us and leading us and thank you for not making this a popularity contest'

I was fuming - At that point I made it my mission as a Christian to point out to non christians how big of hypocrites christians were.

----

Rant Over lol

Oh I know the feeling, I too have some learning disabilities and find friendship difficult and despite explaining this I too was chewed and spat out ????

That would have been terrible to deal with! They sound like assholes. Clearly you've come to a better place without them. I felt much the same way in terms of friends in church a few years back, I completely know how it feels. They were quite cliquey and would make it quite obvious they didn't want me around.

I joined the Christian Union at my university as well in the beginning of my studies. I have to agree that for the most part, they were not willing to address the idea of Biblical contradictions; it was automatically assumed it was all true. Questions were fine, as long as they resulted in you still concluding that the Bible and all the Christian claims were true. I'm actually still friends with a fair few of them even though I've left, but it does annoy me that they are unwavering when it comes to Bible being true. 

Christian Unions, based on my experiences of some decades past, are, ultimately, just another tool of evangelism.  To be a member, toeing the party line (at least outwardly) a necessity.  I see them as sort of missionary societies to the student nation.  And I have come to truly despise the missionary mindset.

Sorry you had those experiences. Xians can be so nasty and full of themselves, and heartless.  It's not a belief system that encourages constructive self review.

In case there is anyone reading this who thinks we're ex-xians just because we had a bad experience interpersonally with xians, I want to make it clear that, to a person, we left xianity because we were no longer convinced that it was true, moral or healthy for humanity, but mainly because it's not true.  We don't believe in it, it's that simple.