Goodbye Jesus

Holiday Well-Wishers

R. S. Martin

Much has been said re greetings at religious holidays. Here's a good suggestion posted by Wil Wheaton on Facebook. He says he found it on Reddit and that the source is unknown. This particular piece of religiosity doesn't trigger me but other things do and I know that even if we cope well with things on the scene, there are feelings to deal with afterward. How do you deal with those feelings? Have you any suggestions for others working their way through deconversion? 

I'm posting this here for calm discussion rather than the rants and raves we usually get around this time of year. While we may be triggered by religious greetings, and some greeters may actually have agendas, the best response is to assume it's an innocent good-wish and to treat it as such. But as the post says, if we can't see beyond the words, we might be broken.

Exactly. So let's discuss how to deal with the broken parts.

2us9261.jpg

FROM https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=609544159172130&set=a.109958572464027.8064.100003496539869&type=1&theater

• Like 6

That's the real Wil Wheaton! A.K.A Wesley Crusher from Star Trek The Next Generation!

• Like 2

If you say so. One thing led to another and this image led to his name so I credited him.

sIf you google Wil Wheaton, you'll see what I'm talking about.

• 3 weeks later...

I guess well-wishing greetings doesn't cause me any troubles. As a Christian I said Happy Hanukkah to Jewish friends who also said merry Christmas to us. I don't think Happy Holidays is this sabotaging term many Christians do, and I didn't think so as a Christian: it encompasses all the winter festivities, which are many and prolific throughout the world. Obviously anything done with a clearly underhanded or agenda-driven attitude is repugnant, but most people just want to have a good time this time of year.

• Like 2

Every year I get a Christmas card from the same person explaining about the war on Christmas and how saying Happy Holidays or Seasons Greetings is an abomination. I like to read it to other people who always express astonishment that someone actually sent that for a Christmas card.

They also like to email their friends lists of companies that don't put the word "Christmas" in their adverts. And another extra bad list of companies that made references to other religious holidays that are not Christian. And of course a list of safe companies that we should buy all our Christmas presents from because they put Merry Christmas and no other religious holiday is mentioned in their ads.

They also like to take the offensive adverts to the local store and complain to the local manager about it.

Every year I get a Christmas card from the same person explaining about the war on Christmas and how saying Happy Holidays or Seasons Greetings is an abomination. I like to read it to other people who always express astonishment that someone actually sent that for a Christmas card.

They also like to email their friends lists of companies that don't put the word "Christmas" in their adverts. And another extra bad list of companies that made references to other religious holidays that are not Christian. And of course a list of safe companies that we should buy all our Christmas presents from because they put Merry Christmas and no other religious holiday is mentioned in their ads.

They also like to take the offensive adverts to the local store and complain to the local manager about it.

Aw, that's the Lord's work, right there. /sarcasm

What a waste of human potential these people are.  They could be doing something to help either their community or some of the many needy people in the world, but instead they're putting energy into which words are used to describe a holiday.  Pathetic, in the truest sense of the word.

• Like 1

I would give that guy a "Season's Greetings" card.  Sounds like he needs it badly.

• Like 1

I'm nearly finished with Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 4.  Wesley Crusher has left the star ship to attend the academy.  I'm now anxiously awaiting his return.  The Enterprise just isn't the same without him!  smile.png  I know that this post has little to absolutely nothing to do with the topic, but I just felt like I had to give some respect to Wil Wheaton. tongue.png

Happy Saturnalia to everyone at Ex-C!

• Like 1

What a waste of human potential these people are.  They could be doing something to help either their community or some of the many needy people in the world, but instead they're putting energy into which words are used to describe a holiday.  Pathetic, in the truest sense of the word.

The most sad thing is he really and truly feels he is helping people by doing this. I'm sure he gets that same feeling of accomplishment from it that you would get from doing something actually worthwhile. It's like he's trying to right some wrong in the world. If only he would pick a better cause to dump this energy into.

I love it, probably going to share the image on FB.

I don't get a sense that this person is wishing anyone well. He's waging an out and out war. And yes, that can be energizing, and give a person a sense of accomplishment. I think you mentioned that in a later post. I'm not sure how I would deal with such a person in my life.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm nearly finished with Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 4. Wesley Crusher has left the star ship to attend the academy. I'm now anxiously awaiting his return. The Enterprise just isn't the same without him! smile.png I know that this post has little to absolutely nothing to do with the topic, but I just felt like I had to give some respect to Wil Wheaton. tongue.png

Personally, Wes was hit-or-miss. The one episode where there is a Court-Marshall at Starfleet Academy is probably him at his best.