Goodbye Jesus

Praise God! What A Blessing!

mymistake

Okay I don't rant too often I hope but I need to vent about this somewhere or it's going to drive me nuts.

I was over at my folks house helping them out when my parents decided to have a conversation in front of me.  My dad opened their credit card bill and apparently they spent less than usual so he mentioned the number to my mom.  Immediately she broke into praise for Jesus.

Wendybanghead.gif 

Because it's not math.  It isn't self control.  Only a miracle can explain spending less.  It must be super-natural.

Gaud fooken damnit

If you have five bucks in your pocket and you don't spend it then you will still have five bucks in your pocket.  Praise God!  What a Blessing!   WendyDoh.gif

• Like 2

Hearing that kind of shit from family members must be painful.

If they're so desperate to find "miracles" in such trivial things, then what does that actually say about what they really think about "miracles"?

Okay I don't rant too often I hope but I need to vent about this somewhere or it's going to drive me nuts.

I was over at my folks house helping them out when my parents decided to have a conversation in front of me.  My dad opened their credit card bill and apparently they spent less than usual so he mentioned the number to my mom.  Immediately she broke into praise for Jesus.

Wendybanghead.gif

Because it's not math.  It isn't self control.  Only a miracle can explain spending less.  It must be super-natural.

Gaud fooken damnit

If you have five bucks in your pocket and you don't spend it then you will still have five bucks in your pocket.  Praise God!  What a Blessing!   WendyDoh.gif

I personally would not want that much micromanagement from Jebus. :-) Though actually I think silly stuff like that is a kind of practiced Religious Tourette's Syndrome. 

I was over there today and she did it again.  She started praising Jesus because her blood sugar had a good score.  No it isn't what you eat.  It isn't self control.  It isn't the medication that so many scientist worked hard to develop and test.  It's a miracle of Jesus.  She chooses to be ignorant of science so everything is magic and Jesus is the wizard who controls the magic.

Jesus is driving up my blood pressure.   mad.gif

I could not bear to hear this from close relatives on a continual basis.  I am so sorry.

Feel free to add to your rant whenever they say something else dumb.  You will find sympathy here.

• Like 1

Just had the same thing happen with my mom. My dad smoked 3 packs of cigarettes a day for most of his life and golly........... he developed lung and throat cancer.

He recently went through a series of aggressive treatments and went for a scan today. All clear.

My mom thanked their god and everyone for their prayers.

I so want to ask what would have happened if they had prayed and NOT taken him for radiation & chemo.

The lack of self-efficacy and reason is truly astounding. Gah!

I wonder if theres a word for that way of thinking.

Perhaps the phrase: magical thinking.

If they're so desperate to find "miracles" in such trivial things, then what does that actually say about what they really think about "miracles"?

It says that they don't really believe in them.

This was one of my problems during my period of increasing disillusionment with the church - 'Praise God' was the knee-jerk response to anything good that happened.  With some people, it grew more and more ridiculous, and any vestige of realism was long gone.

I strongly suspect that this tendency to interpret everything good that happens as God taking care of your life, is, in reality, evidence of a subconscious awareness that actual miracles aren't happening the way they're supposed to - so reality has to be reframed so that it fits the belief system.

• Like 4

I am truly convinced that people are too lazy to actually think about issues.

I'm not being snarky and throwing that out as an insult.  I literally mean it.  When I started thinking about things, my life iimproved because I was making much better decisions and interpretting information more clearly.  I reached goals that had sat there out of reach for years.  duh!

It takes time to learn to think and it takes effort.  It hurts the head occasionally.  People do not want to do this.  People need to do this.

• Like 5

• Super Moderator

funnymentalism  GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

True, without a doubt.  Too lazy, or too stupid, or too fearful, there are so many reasons.

Probably not the case with many here, though, given what people have been through to get here.

Basically, we're the ones that know we have no excuse not to think.

And that knowledge really is a blessing :)

I remember when people would place a notice in the public notices section of the classifieds:

Thanks to St. Jude for prayers answered.

rolleyes.gif

I remember when people would place a notice in the public notices section of the classifieds:

Thanks to St. Jude for prayers answered.

rolleyes.gif

Remind me not to donate to St. Jude...or any religious fund, for that matter.

...Probably not the case with many here, though, given what people have been through to get here.

And that knowledge really is a blessing smile.png

ha I see what you did there at the end.

No one has the excuse not to think!  No one gets a pass.

I hope that athiests will ensure that they put that thinking to use in all areas of their life as well.  So many things to decide about in life. 

Denial...?

I know it was a frustrating situation, but I chuckled out loud at your description of what happened. So ridiculous.

• Like 1

True, without a doubt.  Too lazy, or too stupid, or too fearful, there are so many reasons.

Probably not the case with many here, though, given what people have been through to get here.

And that knowledge really is a blessing smile.png

Oh before I woke up, I was lazy as.  I never bothered to think too deeply about xianity, just kept believing, god works in mysterious ways, it will all make sense when we get to heaven yada yada.  But I woke up, and discovered I can do skepticism just fine.

MM, I wonder.....who did your mom blame when the credit card was too high? Who did she blame when he had the cancer?

From what I remember, I used to blame all things on the devil and then the people in the church would confirm to me that I'm being attacked by Satan and then I would take the 'bull by the horns' and I would straighten out Satan's deceptiveness with 'god's guidance' and be able to praise god for the new results!!  It's sooooo Crazzzzyyyyy making........Wendybanghead.gif

Hang in there my friend!!

Big hug.....

Are you sure you aren't my sibling? ;) this is my family to a "T". I so understand how you feel.

I recently had an acquaintance move to a new area. Prior to arriving they came to the new area several times and looked for a house to buy. they finally found one they loved and put in an offer. When their offer was accepted all her posts on fb were "praise God for finding us a house!"

Yeah because your week of looking for a house, putting in the proper paperwork, and applying for the loan had NOTHING to do with it. *headdesk*

I am a closet non-believer so I still go to church weekly with my family.  I see it every Sunday.  During prayer time they mention somebody for prayer that has had some kind of medical issue and request prayer for their healing.   They tell about all kinds of things the doctors are doing for them, surgeries and medical procedures they have had done.  Then the next week they talk about their improvement and praise god for answering their prayer.   No mention of what would have happened if the Doctors hadn't done anything.  If they aren't getting better then "lets just continue to pray and have faith that god will heal them in his time."  Anybody ever heard that one before?  Ha Ha

My personal favorite is the relapse prayer combined with cyclical healing. Someone gets well (usually without medical intervention), then they relapse (or backslide if it was a "sin sickness"), then everyone prays and they are healed again (or delivered from sin, evil, whatever). Everyone praises God and whoo hoo, it's a miracle. What usually happens is the person seeks professional help the second time, medicates, sees a non-faith based shrink, gets out the bad relationship or work situation or what have you the second time and that's why they are healed.

As soon as they follow Godly advice and quit medicating, stop listening to doctors or return to their previous situation such as a bad marriage or the real world ie not rehab, 12steps, hospital, jail, etc, they relapse and/or backslide and the cycle starts all over again.

So much for miracles, eh?

Jesus is driving up my blood pressure.   mad.gif

Was is low before? Praise Jesus!

If you put $5 in your pocket, then forget about it. Then find it while you're doing the laundry. God must have magically put it there!

I don't know how common people think that, but I know several. No way money was forgotten or miscounted. God made the amount of money go up!

Likewise they might claim that the credit card bill that is lower than normal is a miracle because God deleted a few purchases off of there. My response is "You probably just paid cash for that item." Oh no! It was made on credit card and God deleted the charges! Praise Jesus!