Goodbye Jesus

Death Bed Conversion

themonkeyman

Hey folks how many of u on your deathbed would join Christianity just to hedge your bets?

• Super Moderator

Count me out.  Even if christianity is true, I sure as hell don't want to spend eternity with their god.

• Like 4

If I worked up a sufficient fear of that nearing death, I probably would embarrass myself by desperately accepting anything I'm offered to presumably avoid that death.

• Like 1

I tell myself I won't but until I'm faced with it, I can't say for certain that I wouldn't offer up a generic prayer to a deity that may be out there.

I can't see myself calling on any specific gods though.

• Like 1

Perhaps I would if I get Alzheimer's or some other kind of dementia.  If I forget everything that happened and all that I learned in the 21st century then I would be a fundamentalist Christian again.

• Like 1

I'm with MM.  It would take something like Alzheimer's for me to believe enough to do that, the former, less informed "me" resurfacing.

• Like 1

I prefer hell than spending eternity with bible god.

• Like 2

Who knows? Even if I did it wouldn't mean anything. Decisions made under fear are not valid.,  Rip

• Like 3

If I decided to hedge my bets on my deathbed, I would really hedge them and not limit it to Christianity. Limiting it to Christianity is not much of a hedge. I think that, if I were to hedge, I would pray something like this: "God or Gods of the universe or multiverse or whichever one or ones of you have jurisdiction over me, if there is a hell and I am required to believe something to escape it, let it be known that I do now declare such belief. I have this one final request. Perhaps when I go to your Heaven, or heavens, or whatever realm, if any, over which you rule, you could explain to me what I now believe. Salutations in whatever form, if any, you prefer."

• Super Moderator

I've always been a bit of an extremist, though.  So, if I'm going to thumb my nose at the existence of god or gods, I'm going all the way with it.  Even if a god appeared right next to my death bed and proved itself to be real, with indisputable evidence, I'd still say, "Fuck off."

Hey folks how many of u on your deathbed would join Christianity just to hedge your bets?

Both my parents did in those final moments... so genetically speaking I'm probably a goner. :-)

I like the idea of Summerland better though and will probably work up my own eternity fantasy along those lines  before I go so I'm not scared.

Perhaps I would if I get Alzheimer's or some other kind of dementia.  If I forget everything that happened and all that I learned in the 21st century then I would be a fundamentalist Christian again.

Dad was a staunch hater of religion from the time he was a teenager until Alzheimers set in. Then he was more welcoming of Jesus.

Anything's possible, especially under heavy sedation, but I doubt it. The hostility level against the Christian religion is just too high.

Nope. Not a chance.

CHateB_894.png

My Pascal's Wager is that Yahweh's hell is the washcloth in my bath.

• Like 1

Surely if God did exist he would see through such a ploy anyway?  If you aren't genuine then its not going to save you anyway...

• Like 1

Eventually my body would get used to the pain in hell....

• Like 2

Mark Twain has been quoted as saying, "I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.”

I feel the same way. I see no evidence whatsoever for the existence of a deity, and if there is one, I don't want anything to do with it, him, or her.

• Like 1

If I do a death bed conversion to Islam do I get 72 hot babes in the afterlife?

• Like 2

I would not.  Neither of my parents did that when they died.  My grandmother died in front of me when I was 4, and she just died, she didn't make any statements at all,.  From what I understood, she was tired and done.

• Like 2

I hope I will have found peace with dying by that time. But if not, then no. Because if their god is all-powerful, he will figure out that I'm converting out of fear and not actual belief. If on my deathbed something happened to guarantee that I would live indefinitely until the next disease or whatever, I would forget about the conversion and go back to living my life, which would make the change of heart meaningless.

• Like 1

No!!  I have to be true to myself, or else what is the purpose of having a self at all.  I have decided with absolute certainty that I am not a Christian.  It seemed at the beginning that "the gods" or fate or call it what you will, had destined me for Christianity by uprooting me from my natural family and planting me in a hardcore Christian fundamentalist one.  But just as soon as the fates had put me on that path, they ripped me out of it again.  I was slowly led on an unexpected journey out of Christianity.  I never knew there was such a place as "out of Christianity" because Christianity had been the only option with my adoptive parents.  It was only as I came out of that strict and cruel religion did my chains start coming off and I started to be able to become myself.  I didn't do all of that work of becoming myself just do put my chains back on at my death bed.  I didn't break away from cruel Yahweh just to ultimately end up back in his arms. 

To do a death bed conversion would be the ultimate rape.  It would be the rape of myself.  It would toss everything I have striven for- to be my own person against all the odds- to the wind.  It would be an insult to all indigenous people who have suffered under the yoke of Christian faith being forced down their throats just like it was forced down my own.  At my death bed, I will be confident in who I am.  Not confident in where I am headed-which is probably straight to nonexistence-but I can be confident in who I am as a person. 

• Like 4

I can't predict what I would do in a moment of weakness, although it depends on how accustomed I am to nonbelief. Most likely I would think about going wherever I was for the billions of years before I was born, and how the atoms in my body would soon be part of other living things. Hopefully no wandering priests would attempt a deathbed conversion or my last words might be "fuck off".

• Like 1

I'd probably take a line out of Hobbes' book.

"A great leap into the dark."

I feel similar to rach. I can't see myself submitting to slavery on my deathbed after having found myself and my freedom. I mean to die a free woman.

There's a condition. If, by any chance, evidence for God's existence turns up (which I don't expect to be possible but I'm stating its possibility for the record) then I would examine the importance of the evidence to my belief system.