Goodbye Jesus

Death Bed Conversion

themonkeyman

I think it may be possible given my current state, although I hope to have at least a few decades between now and that point. 

I'm only going to hedge my bets against the xian god?  Out of all the thousands of gods humans have reported on that's the one?  No.  I'm going take my time and accept them all when my time to die comes.  I'll tell each one, in turn, that they're the only one for me.  For gods they seem to be rather stupid when it comes to the death bed conversions of humans so I figure this should work out just fine.  I'll throw in a few that I make up on the spot just to be sure I'm not missing any...just to be on the safe side.

mwc

• Like 1

I hope I will have found peace with dying by that time. But if not, then no. Because if their god is all-powerful, he will figure out that I'm converting out of fear and not actual belief. If on my deathbed something happened to guarantee that I would live indefinitely until the next disease or whatever, I would forget about the conversion and go back to living my life, which would make the change of heart meaningless.

The imaginary god christians made up for themselves could care less if you love him. If you fear him and follow him that is all he needs or wants it seems.

Christians use the word love all the time but there first thing they do with a child is teach them to fear god and his wrath and fear hell.

Funny thing is if you did this to say your house pet. Like you got a new kitty and then taught it to fear you first how do you think that pet would react and would others call what you did abuse?

its a lie no matter which side you look at it from.

Don't worry about dying so much you have no choice in the matter and never did. Live each moment of you life with vigor and self respect and fuck the conversions.

I am totally going for the dead bed conversion.....I'll see you all in Hell (from the safety of Heaven)

• Like 1

Hey folks how many of u on your deathbed would join Christianity just to hedge your bets?

I wouldn't.  It would be a waste of time.    There will be plenty more meaningful things to spend those last moments with.

Not me. I worked too hard to finally be free and be true to myself. There is no way I'm giving that up.

Hey folks how many of u on your deathbed would join Christianity just to hedge your bets?

Or how about, hedging your bet on yourself instead, and saying at death "If you exist fundie biblegod, please send me to Hell , I'd rather be there than have to be with you."  If you're wrong, you burn for eternity, but at least you get to keep your morals and dignity.

The more I study evolution, the more I may not revert to asking for forgiveness if I've been wrong. I've always thought there might be a small possibility that I could be wrong and that has always caused me to worry. My husband and I are on a journey together to find out some truths. Last night we watched a 3 hour documentary called, ''My Inner Fish''. It was totally AMAZING!! If any of you get the change, watch it. Studying evolution is helping to convince me that I do not have to be afraid on my death bed.

Hugs

The more I study evolution, the more I may not revert to asking for forgiveness if I've been wrong. I've always thought there might be a small possibility that I could be wrong and that has always caused me to worry. My husband and I are on a journey together to find out some truths. Last night we watched a 3 hour documentary called, ''My Inner Fish''. It was totally AMAZING!! If any of you get the change, watch it. Studying evolution is helping to convince me that I do not have to be afraid on my death bed.

Hugs

I just got the book! Can't wait to read it!

It's great that you and your husband are learning about all this. Evolution really is fascinating; learning about it has changed my attitude towards life in many ways. Glad it's doing the same for you. The bolded sentence is especially encouraging.

When I was still a christian I had a moment when I thought I was going to die. There I was, getting carried by the current, swallowing water and thinking: "so this is it. This is how is going to end for me. ". No praying, no thoughts about god or heaven. It was all about survival, staying afloat. Maybe I was a shitty christian to begin with. Or maybe like a poster said above, we're all atheists while we sleep and have to make an effort to believe.

So no, I don't think I will have a deathbed conversion. (Unless I have any sort of brain injury or tumor)

When I was still a christian I had a moment when I thought I was going to die. There I was, getting carried by the current, swallowing water and thinking: "so this is it. This is how is going to end for me. ". No praying, no thoughts about god or heaven. It was all about survival, staying afloat. Maybe I was a shitty christian to begin with. Or maybe like a poster said above, we're all atheists while we sleep and have to make an effort to believe.

Never thought of it that way before.

Glad you're okay! I also had a moment kind of like that when I was still a Christian, an incident with a tall building. I had been 'feeling God's presence' as part of some mental health issues, but in the moment I felt very alone...not like God was missing, but like he had never been there to begin with.

I sat in ICU for 24 hours this summer and the thought of converting never entered my mind.  Not even a little bit. 

I can't predict what I would do in a moment of weakness, although it depends on how accustomed I am to nonbelief. Most likely I would think about going wherever I was for the billions of years before I was born, and how the atoms in my body would soon be part of other living things. Hopefully no wandering priests would attempt a deathbed conversion or my last words might be "fuck off".

Saw a documentary about a UN guy who died in a bomb attack in Africa I think.  Rescue worker tried to pray with him to get right with god and the UN guy says "why don't we focus on something that will help us here" or something like that. 

The rescue guy telling the story is obviously OFFENDED at the response... I just laughed.  What absolute clueless nerve to be offended by the dying guy wanting to be just left alone in his final minutes.

you tell 'em Helv!

I try to live every day knowing that it could be my last in the sense of... Am I happy, content, challenged??... all the good stuff.  As much as one can on a daily basis.

I think I'm already dealing with that question now so I don't see a rapid shift occurring.

If I'm still young enough when it happens, I'll probably be thinking about how much I'm going to miss with my woman.  She's hot.

• Like 1

Heaven is filled with very bad people.  

Hugs

I just downloaded this PBS program and watched the first hour. WOW! Fascinating! Always wanted to try and understand evolution. I think this is the beginning for me. Thanks, Margee!

Did Martin Luther ask for last rights on his deathbed? After all, in his day, faiure to be a Catholic meant sure damnation, just like failing to be an evangelical Christian in the U.S. means surefire damnation in the U.S.

Any former muslims turned Christian gone back to their former faiths?

What about former Jews? Other faiths?

Five months ago I would have said, maybe. And still I am divided: I would never do so for myself. But could I fake it for the sake of the wife and daughter, if they are still believers by then? I know firsthand the traumatic situation of believing someone is in hell, and so I might consider it at that moment in order to prevent them from experiencing this trauma. But then, that means I'd have to be willing to fake it, and be a good actor to boot, while facing death perhaps in pain. I have no fears for myself after the body shuts down, but I loathe what evangelical Christinsanity does to loved ones after the person has died. I fear death a lot less now that I'm not a Christian, than I did when I was.