Goodbye Jesus

Got Asked A Queston I Have No Idea About

nivek

Why the particular styles of clothing, life and preferences of whatever time their elders then chose?

Most societies change as time flows by, we see it almost daily with the barrage of TV and assorted news programs.

Even the local Hutterites wear jeans, modern work shoes/boots and ball caps. The women and older girls do tend to wear the older styles of clothing and are always head covered.

Just has me curious what or whom made this kind of decision, this awesome social contracting for everyone to follow since "time-X"..

kL

It's based on the idea that all new technology and inventions are from the devil, I think... :shrug:

There was a movement in northern Sweden some 100 years ago that didn't even allow curtains or rugs in the house. Because anything that you had and used had to be useful, and not for beauty. So the women couldn't wear makeup, and everyone wore simple clothes.

I guess it's kind of similar to some of these monestaries where they own anything, and they only have simple clothes.

Somehow a kind of sacrifice, I guess.

The ultimate goal of the Amish is to be totally self-reliant. That's why they are so far seperated from the world, and are usually farmers. That's also why they don't use cars, since if you use a car, you are relying on it and the people who sold it to you, and the people who will repair it when it breaks down, whereas if you have a horse, you can raise it, feed it, ride it, and take care of it all by yourself. Also, they stress modest dress and ways of living, which explains the strange clothes.

I don't have any problems with the Amish, really....they leave pretty much well alone and keep to themselves. If they want to live in a world without exhaust fumes and McDonald's, hey, I'm all for it. :grin:

Amish Abuse

Nevik,

Here's a link for you that describes and explains Amish pracitices. It's an on line book written by someone who escaped the Amish and tried to help his relatives. You'll learn everything you never wanted to know about them. There is also a Former Amish Forum.

There's quite a bit of monkeyshines in the Amish/Mennonite world, some of which are not too pleasant. For all their piety and 'separation' from the world they find themselves all too human nonetheless, with the same weakness and desires as the rest of us.

The ultimate goal of the Amish is to be totally self-reliant. That's why they are so far seperated from the world, and are usually farmers. That's also why they don't use cars, since if you use a car, you are relying on it and the people who sold it to you, and the people who will repair it when it breaks down, whereas if you have a horse, you can raise it, feed it, ride it, and take care of it all by yourself. Also, they stress modest dress and ways of living, which explains the strange clothes.

I don't have any problems with the Amish, really....they leave pretty much well alone and keep to themselves. If they want to live in a world without exhaust fumes and McDonald's, hey, I'm all for it. :grin:

I've seen plenty of Amish in the airports and at the bus station though. Strange. It's an interesting culture from the outside looking in anyway. In the middle of PA where the average American is a Walmart going, potato chip eating, beer swigging slob, the Amish are bright-eyed, healthy looking people.

I don't have any problems with the Amish, really....they leave pretty much well alone and keep to themselves.

That's funny. :HaHa:

You've obviously never worked with them. :HaHa:

They are such nosey motherfuckers. :HaHa:

Usually, they don't know when to leave well enough alone. :HaHa:

I've seen them get under a man's skin so bad, that he cried. :HaHa:

They laughed about it. :HaHa:

And the rumors! Don't get me started on the rumors! :HaHa:

I fuckin' hate them. :HaHa:

:HaHa:

Nivek,

I've questioned Amish people about some of their beliefs and why they do things the way they do. The only answer that I ever got was, "It's just the way its always been." If you ask them any question that begins with the word 'Why', they always say, "It's just the way its always been."

Sort of like they're just programed to say that or somethin'.

In the middle of PA where the average American is a Walmart going, potato chip eating, beer swigging slob......

Hey!

I resemble that remark!

:HaHa:

Dan,

That's funny!

I think the conception that most people have of the Amish comes from movies and TV. In reality, the Amish are a extremist cult.

Taph

They make good furniture, though.

I think the time they stopped was the time that they formed. And how little tech they use is dependent on the community. As it stands I have some Amish way back in my background (and a great-great grandfather who got in trouble for leaving). Really, I haven't had much to do with them to date, however, and can't make a judgement.

I have heard that the genetics clinics around them get interesing, though, as the communities are so small.

Yeah, because they are such an isolated community, their genetic linkage is very pure.

And yes, there are different levels of isolatedness and self-reliance. I remember being at a Cracker Barrel once and looking out the window from my table, and a couple of them had just driven in in a cheap 80's-model Ford and were keeping their eyes on the ground as they walked in and sat down. Very quiet, they were.

I've also seen their kids in tennis shoes before. I always noticed that no matter how old the shoes were (I could tell by looking at the creases in the top and the wearing-down on the sole), they always looked brand-new clean and white.

You've obviously never worked with them.

What work did you do with them?

I feel kinda sorry for them, actually. I mean, you gotta expect someone to be gossipy if the only interesting thing in their lives is barn-raising, and the biggest bad thing anybody does is let a bucket of milk spoil.

Actually, the Amish are not the peace loving people that they are thought of. They are very legalistic and rape, severe child abuse, and child sexual abuse is very common in their communities. They believe that if the person who commits these atrocities says that they are sorry, all is forgiven. Perpetrators are free to abuse again and again and all they have to do is say they are sorry, and the victim has no recourse. They are also especially cruel to their animals.

They are not guarenteed salvation. They don't know if they are saved until after they die. However, only Amish have the chance to be saved.

They shun technology as a way to keep their community together. Though, yes, the rules vary from one ordnung to the next. They have rules that govern everything from the type of underwear they are allowed to wear to the length of a kitchen counter. If a kitchen counter is an inch too long or short, they must rip it out and replace it.

The Amish that I knew in Wisconsin did not have electricity, although they had gas. Gas lights, gas stove, gas refridgerator. No phone in the house, but one in the barn. They can use cell phones but it must be for work and they must leave them at work. They can ride in cars, but can't drive them. They hire drivers to take them places.

I knew someone on line who was Mennonite and she said they play the Mennonite game. They figure out how they are related to the person they are married to. Not if they are related, but how.

Taph