Goodbye Jesus

Death Meme

Sybaris

Several times on these forums I have mentioned how I never have subscribed to any religion or deity. I have also read many times on these forums how the promise of an afterlife is a strong draw for the religiously inclined. Most religions have some sort of afterlife or reincarnation so I'll not call out Christianity specifically. Again, not having ever been a religious person I found it hard to make the connection until recently. On Christmas day my cat died. I've been to a lot of funerals for a lot of friends and family but my sadness at those events was more out of sympathy for others than a feeling of loss for myself. This death however is crushing and the strangest thoughts occurred to me the instant I saw my deceased cat............ could she could be recreated if I save her DNA? Wouldn't it be great if Pet Cemetery was real? Where is Dr. Frankenstein when you need him? I so yearned for a time machine to go back just a few hours and make just a little change in my routine that morning. After a while I realized how strong the desire to reunite with loved ones must have contributed to our ancient ancestors creation of heavens and various other realms where the deceased meet again. It is so strong that it has perpetuated through the millennia.

Then I got annoyed........ if the religitards are so fuckin' sure the afterlife exists why do they cry at funerals?!! 

• Like 1

I am sorry to hear of your loss of your cat.  I have experienced this myself.

I think everyone knows deep down that death constitutes an irretrievable loss, no matter how religious they are and try to hide it.

So sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved cat. These beautiful creatures that entrust their lives to us are so wonderful and such great companions. Please accept my condolences. I know how important our four legged family members are to us!!

Having just lost both of mine I'm so, so sorry to hear about the loss of your cat.  :(

If I had the power to grant you more time with your cat I surely would.

mwc

I've seen the fundamentalists actually berate others for crying at the death of a loved one. These are the same that really go after the "death of self" a.k.a. abused wife syndrome.

• Super Moderator

I'm so sorry about the loss of your cat.  I've been through it also and know how rough it is.   

Guest Furball

I am truly sorry for your loss. I had to take mine in to be put down because of cancer. I cried so hard so i know how you feel. The weird thing is, he visits me in my dreams often and comforts me. 

Sorry for the loss of your cats,  I have lost a few, its heart wrenching 

Sorry for the loss you have experienced.

I have no idea how Christians may justify crying at the funerals of other Christians - though I know a number who believe it is a sign of human weakness and carnality to do so.

I had to have my beloved Sara Lee put down just about a year ago - she had been a companion for 20 years and I was absolutely unprepared for how devastated I would be to see her pass.  You certainly have my deepest sympathies.

Sybaris, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your beautiful cat. I had 100% trust  in my companion cat for 17 years (which I don't have with any person on earth) and It can be the most heart wrenching thing to happen to a person. There is no love like it. I hope your memories will keep you content over this loss.

And you are so right. If believers believed in heaven so much....why all the agony at funerals when you know in your heart that you will see them soon at your own death?? I had to re-grieve all my loved ones, knowing that I will never see them again. I have to admit, the belief in an afterlife kept me comfortable enough from completely grieving my friends and family who are already gone.

Big hug for you tonight.

So sorry for your loss. I lost my dog a few years back and I still miss her. :(

My dad actually had the nerve to berate his own mother for not "believing in God's promises enough and knowing she would see him again" when his brother/her son died from cancer just a few months after diagnosis. She ended up in therapy and on some medication to help her cope and he literally told her to "get over it already" I was appalled. But not surprised. That is normal fundie thinking.