Goodbye Jesus

The Bible And Rape

Angel

I did some looking around the net and located this site:

http://www.evilbible.com/Rape.htm

After reading the scriptures pointed out, I am absoultely stunned and appalled.

The one quote that stood out to me was this one...

(Deuteronomy 22:28-29 NAB)

If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her.

What kind of loving god would make the VICTIM MARRY THE ATTACKER?!?!?

Please tell me that I am understanding this correctly. I know that I also ran across some reading that said that it was not rape, but fornication they were talking about???? (Christian sites)

I know what I read.... and what I got out of it was that the god in the bible is deranged and cruel! I started to believe this of him some time ago about other issues, but this really ices the cake.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Angel

• Taphophilia

• godlessgrrl

• Vigile

Top Posters In This Topic

No, you read it right. Horrific isn't it? The whole damn thing disgusts me, I just love how apologists try and explain this away, it's pathetic.

It is pathetic. When you have been through something like that, the last thing you want is to be stuck with the asshole the rest of your life.

Precisely. the Old Testament contains some of the sickest shit known to man in terms of religious writing. It's proof that Xians live in fear of their god when they read garbage like this and deliberately choose to justify it to themselves rather than condemn it as any naturally moral creature would.

The Holah Babble is one of the biggest reasons I am no longer Xian and shall never be.

No, you read it right. Horrific isn't it? The whole damn thing disgusts me, I just love how apologists try and explain this away, it's pathetic.

It is pathetic. When you have been through something like that, the last thing you want is to be stuck with the asshole the rest of your life.

The victim has to marry her rapist only if she cries out. If she doesn't cry out or no one believes that she did, as in no one heard her cry out. She is put to death.

Taph

Oh, but check this out:

Deuteronomy 22:22

22 If a man is found sleeping with another man's wife, both the man who slept with her and the woman must die. You must purge the evil from Israel.

Now then. This dude must die. And it might not even have been rape. Why?

Cause he messed with another dude's property, of course.

Or this from Deuteronomy 21:

When you go to war against your enemies and the LORD your God delivers them into your hands and you take captives, 11 if you notice among the captives a beautiful woman and are attracted to her, you may take her as your wife. 12 Bring her into your home and have her shave her head, trim her nails 13 and put aside the clothes she was wearing when captured. After she has lived in your house and mourned her father and mother for a full month, then you may go to her and be her husband and she shall be your wife. 14 If you are not pleased with her, let her go wherever she wishes. You must not sell her or treat her as a slave, since you have dishonored her

So, there we have it. After you kill the mother and father, take the little cutie home, pretty her up a bit, and she's yours.

Thus sayeth the LORD.

I guess the fucktard (excuse my french) that wrote that didn't think the she may have an enormous hand wrapped around her throat, a big knife waving at her, or terrifying threats making impossible for her to scream. Even more proof that the bible was written by men.

It was a fucktard that wrote that!!! I agree 100% Could not have been anyone with sense.

And yet...christians tend to ignore this or say "That was the Old testament", as if 50% of the Bible doesn't count.

I think Mythra has it nailed on the head: it's all about messing with another man's property.

Women in the OT are a commodity, walking wombs. Not people. The OT rape and marriage laws and practices aren't about protecting or valuing women at all, they're all about the men. What the men wanted, what they wanted control over, male honor, male prerogative, preventing male humiliation. Think of Lot offering his daughters to be gang-raped so people wouldn't hurt his houseguests. Think of the penalty for a woman who wasn't a virgin when she married: she was stoned on her father's doorstep, to show the world his shame.

A woman who's not a virgin when married might have had kids with someone else, who might later compete with your kids. Gotta control the pussy, dontcha know.

That's my hypothesis, anyway.

The Biblical attitudes towards women were reason #3 why I ditched Xianity, btw. There's no place for a person like me in that religion. I demand no less than full humanity.

Guest Enforcer

What I find interesting is how they use that same old testement to "prove" Jesus is lord and to denigrate homosexuals. It is written that Jesus said not to break even the slightest of the law. He was supposed to fulfil the law not replace it. I guess uncle Paul says you don't have to follow the law so who cares what the messiah has to say about it. :Wendywhatever:

And yet...christians tend to ignore this or say "That was the Old testament", as if 50% of the Bible doesn't count.

The wilful ignorance & denial that Christians engage in is really is the most disgusting, frustrating, and sad thing that Christians do.

The wilful ignorance & denial that Christians engage in is really is the most disgusting, frustrating, and sad thing that Christians do.

They accept it all because, if they don't, they have to give up their golden carrot of everlasting life. :Duivel7:

As we all know, death just isn't the same without everlasting life. :Duivel7:

:HaHa:

How many carrots is that Golden Carrot? :)

How many carrots is that Golden Carrot? :)
A lot! Just imagine Main St. in Heaven. :HaHa:

I was always amused by the story of the woman caught in adultery who was brought to Jesus. He who is without sin etc, etc,etc...

Whatever happened to the guy????

Judges, Chapter 19

"22": Now as they were making their hearts merry, behold, the men of the city, certain sons of Belial, beset the house round about, and beat at the door, and spake to the master of the house, the old man, saying, Bring forth the man that came into thine house, that we may know him.

"23": And the man, the master of the house, went out unto them, Nay, my brethren, nay, I pray you, do not so wickedly; seeing that this man is come into mine house, do not this folly.

"24": Behold, here is my daughter a maiden, and his concubine; them I will bring out now, and humble ye them, and do with them what seemeth good unto you: but unto this man do not so vile a thing.

"25": But the men would not hearken to him: so the man took his concubine, and brought her forth unto them; and they knew her, and abused her all the night until the morning: and when the day began to spring, they let her go.

"26": Then came the woman in the dawning of the day, and fell down at the door of the man's house where her lord was, till it was light.

"27": And her lord rose up in the morning, and opened the doors of the house, and went out to go his way: and, behold, the woman his concubine was fallen down at the door of the house, and her hands were upon the threshold.

"28": And he said unto her, Up, and let us be going. But none answered. Then the man took her up upon an ass, and the man rose up, and gat him unto his place.

"29": And when he was come into his house, he took a knife, and laid hold on his concubine, and divided her, together with her bones, into twelve pieces, and sent her into all the coasts of Israel.

Judges, Chapter 19
I think of Judges 19 every time that I hear some asshole say something about "allowing the Bible back into the schools".

I sit back and think - what the fuck is wrong with these people?!?!

:vent:

Judges, Chapter 19
I think of Judges 19 every time that I hear some asshole say something about "allowing the Bible back into the schools".

I sit back and think - what the fuck is wrong with these people?!?!

:vent:

They don't actually read it.

Taph

They don't actually read it.

Or, worse, they do actually read it, then do some hefty apologetic calisthenics in order to come up with an excuse for why it was ok in the OT.

Or, even worse than that, they don't do any apologetics at all, and use verses like this to justify treating women like shit.

I can't follow any religion in which gang-rape is only considered something too vile for men to go through, while it's apparently just fine to give up your virgin daughter to be gang-raped, or give up your slave woman to be raped until she's dead. What a way to teach women their value.

That's just fucked up beyond... well, I don't know beyond what. Just majorly fucked up. Rape is rape, regardless of the gender of the victim. Or the perp(s), for that matter.

What I find interesting is how they use that same old testement to "prove" Jesus is lord and to denigrate homosexuals.

I always kind of like it when fundies use the OT to denigrate homosexuals. The OT calls homosexuality an "abomination." *ahem* The OT calls eating pork an abomination as well!

I spoke to a Rabbi once who said that the reasons for this are more evident in the modern day. Pork has to be cooked "just right" or it can be very bad for you. The fact anal sex is a little less than sanitary is self-evident, and the times in which this was written, sanitary conditions weren't the norm. I've never met a jew who was as fanatical about the "sin" of homosexuality as even a lot of liberal Christians. Christians pick and choose the parts they want & dump the rest for the most part; then they use apologetics to try to explain away the atrocities.

I guess the fucktard (excuse my french) that wrote that didn't think the she may have an enormous hand wrapped around her throat, a big knife waving at her, or terrifying threats making impossible for her to scream. Even more proof that the bible was written by men.

Or maybe he (yes "he" as in the writer), provided this as a loophole. Keep the girl from screaming, no harm, no foul.

See Serenity, we still agree on the important stuff :grin:

Or this from Deuteronomy 21:

When you go to war against your enemies and the LORD your God delivers them into your hands and you take captives, 11 if you notice among the captives a beautiful woman and are attracted to her, you may take her as your wife. 12 Bring her into your home and have her shave her head, trim her nails 13 and put aside the clothes she was wearing when captured. After she has lived in your house and mourned her father and mother for a full month, then you may go to her and be her husband and she shall be your wife. 14 If you are not pleased with her, let her go wherever she wishes. You must not sell her or treat her as a slave, since you have dishonored her

What is scary is I can recall clearly reading this when I was an xtian and it was as if my mind was turned off. It's like when you watch a film or a play and you suspend your disbelief.

The more I read from the bible, the more thankful I am that I am not involved in the worship of this god. Someone has to have their head up their ass to just shrug off a lot of what it says, especially this subject. It is amazing how this type of thing is NEVER brought up in any bible study or church service?

Like someone else mentioned, some want the bible back in school??? What for, to teach kids how to judge others, hate, kill and rape???? Sadly, some already know how to do that and do not need any help sharpening those "skills".

A woman who's not a virgin when married might have had kids with someone else, who might later compete with your kids. Gotta control the pussy, dontcha know.

That's my hypothesis, anyway.

Spot on IMO

What is scary is I can recall clearly reading this when I was an xtian and it was as if my mind was turned off. It's like when you watch a film or a play and you suspend your disbelief.

It is amazing what you ignore when you are "programmed". Believe me, I can relate! It is exactly what you said....the mind has shut off. Glad that we reclaimed our brains!

I can't follow any religion in which gang-rape is only considered something too vile for men to go through, while it's apparently just fine to give up your virgin daughter to be gang-raped, or give up your slave woman to be raped until she's dead. What a way to teach women their value.

But don't you see, if it is written in 1460 AD English it's not gang rape. If the same passages were part of a NWA rap the book would be banned as inspiration for hate crimes. It's amazing how they sanitize this stuff in their minds.

I'm not defending the passage that started this thread, but just want to clarify something.

From my understanding, the passage was indeed some sort of protectorate for the raped female. If a man rapes a woman out of wedlock, then she is trashed for life. No one else will want her, so basically, that rule was to make her legitimate in a sense. That man who raped her now has to take care of her for the rest of her life, because he ruined her life in the first place.

No, that isn't a great practice, and again, not defending it in any way, but that's what it was for.

The property rule applies when a man sleeps with another man's WIFE...yep, he messed with another dude's stuff, therefore, they both gotta go.