Goodbye Jesus

Article About Fundamentalism

Celsus

http://www.joebageant.com/joe/2005/12/what_the_left_b.html

Excerpt:

"Jesus merely raised one hand a few inches and a yawning chasm opened in the earth, stretching far and wide enough to swallow all of them. They tumbled in, howling and screeching, but their wailing was soon quashed and all was silent when the earth closed itself again."

-- From Glorious Appearing by Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins

"The best thing about the Left Behind books is the way the non-Christians get their guts pulled out by God."

-- 15-year old fundamentalist fan of the Left Behind series

That is very scary. The same people would criticize Harry Potter for some childish magic, while shouting "hurrah" when those books describes mass-murder of innocent people.

http://www.joebageant.com/joe/2005/12/what_the_left_b.html

Excerpt:

"Jesus merely raised one hand a few inches and a yawning chasm opened in the earth, stretching far and wide enough to swallow all of them. They tumbled in, howling and screeching, but their wailing was soon quashed and all was silent when the earth closed itself again."

"The best thing about the Left Behind books is the way the non-Christians get their guts pulled out by God."

The Left Behind Series is frightening in its power .....

One minister I know (very liberal) served in the Vietnam war. Since this whole mess started in Iraq he has spent innumerable hours gathering books and sending them overseas to the troops.

He and I were talking once and he was telling me that the most requested series of books (from the troops) is the Left Behind Series. He tells me it's the first time in his entire life that he's ever refused to distribute a specific reading request. He can't reconcile distributing such material to young soldiers in Iraq or Afganistan.

It is frightening what that whole book series is doing to the minds of an entire generation of young people :(

I remember looking at the Left Behind books a few years ago now - when searching for gifts for my youth group. I knew they were horrid even back then. And such a marketing scam as well - its the series isn't it - that is written several times for different age groups, so there is the version for Mum and Dad - the teen version and the younger kids version ... so the whole family can scare themselves witless together.

I remember thinking - looks like Tim and Jerry were exposed to the film 'Thief in the night' in the seventies and are now passing on the fear.

Anyone else get shown that film? I understand it produced some impressive altar call figures.

I remember thinking - looks like Tim and Jerry were exposed to the film 'Thief in the night' in the seventies and are now passing on the fear.

Anyone else get shown that film? I understand it produced some impressive altar call figures.

Oh yeah. Because of that film and my obsession with rapture-oriented books, I was convinced I would never see old age. This mentality kept me from setting any goals for myself when I was younger and as a result I didn't graduate from the university until I was almost 30. The stuff is just pure poison. If you ever want a good laugh though, watch Jack Van Impe and his wife Rexella (yes, it's true). The last time I watched those two I went into fits of tear inducing laughter. Some of these rapture preachers are sincere, but I think old Jack and Rex are just posing for dollars. They are always hawking books and tapes and the routine they do is over the top.

If you ever want a good laugh though, watch Jack Van Impe and his wife Rexella (yes, it's true). The last time I watched those two I went into fits of tear inducing laughter. Some of these rapture preachers are sincere, but I think old Jack and Rex are just posing for dollars. They are always hawking books and tapes and the routine they do is over the top.

Like this you mean? :blink:

Animals in Heaven?

Dr. Jack & Rexella Van Impe

For anyone who has ever lost a beloved pet, Dr. Jack and Rexella Van Impe have good news! You will see your furry or feathered friends again - in heaven! Explore this exciting truth taught by twelve of the greatest Christian theologians.

You will see and hear the exact spine-tingling statements from the pens of men like Dr. John Walvoord, Dr. Billy Graham, Dr. J. Vernon McGee, Dr. John Calvin and many others. This video study deals with animal intelligence, animal communication, and how animals literally teach humans some valuable lessons.

The problem is, people fail to realize that such books are just fiction. The Left Behind series is just one authors (or isn't two?) interpretation of the end of the world. Problem is, many people have eaten it up and take it as truth.

But then again, these are the same people who think a 2000 year old archaic book is "truth". Not surprising that they can't seperate fantasy from reality.

It even said that Catholics were not saved and were not raputered,

They make the "new" pope the head of the new world religion.

Tthe old pope was raptured because he was a true **cough cough protestant cough ** christian/

Unfortunately, I think Bageant is spot-on correct in his assessment.

Christian fascists aren't going away any time soon. Even if we have

a brief respite from them in the next election, they'll be festering

below the surface, waiting for another GWB to force Gawd to bring

on the Rapture. It's pretty damned frustrating, living in a country

full of so many functionally semi-literate, mentally ill fucktards. (Yes, I

know I used to be one of them, for which I hang my head in

shame....at least I'm older and wiser now!) I'm with Bageant....

I'd rather watch the Christian fascists destroy this country from a

long, long ways away.

:(

Sick fuckers...sorry, I couldn't help that comment! Although, I can understand that this has been brainwashed into them, that is my first response.

I've never read any of the "left behind" series. However when I visited my mom over the Christmas break, I noted that she had the DVD, Left Behind in her movie collection (someone had given this copy to her).

Out of sheer curiosity I watched it. I actually found it to be quite entertaining..and nothing more. It was somewhat melodramatic in parts, and essentially Christian propaganda at its best. The only thought racing through my head was..."you've got to be kidding me if you expect me to buy into all of this" The films within the "end-time" genre which I find to be much more well-done and thought provoking would be Rapture (Mimi Rogers), or The Seventh Sign(Demi Moore)

Oh and by the way, my mom also had the movie which would be Left Behind's "alter ego"...

namely Bruce Almighty :lmao:

I have always said about those books, what if the Islam or any other religion besides Christianity had written books like that? Americans would be outraged.

Jack Van Impe is supposed to have the entire Bible memorized, but whenever he quotes scripture he looks like he's taking a crap. I think he can't read the cue cards. And Rexella, that women's voice. I swear she sucks helium.

Taph

• 2 weeks later...

Excerpt:

It's a shame that such rubbish is taught....however, one of the fruits of the spirit may come in useful here..Patience.....in about 50 years when Jesus hasn,t come hopefully they,ll see it for what it is. Unless of course the lunatics get their hands on nuclear weapons and bring about Armaggedon.....or have the lunatics got them already?

• 2 weeks later...
That is very scary. The same people would criticize Harry Potter for some childish magic, while shouting "hurrah" when those books describes mass-murder of innocent people.

Amazing, isn't it?

Xians never cease to amaze me.

Joe Bageant is brilliant!

Xians never cease to amaze me.

Funny that in the most religious country (US) such (scary) values and beliefs flourish. Those dang religious fiction books will out sell the bible (another fiction religious book) any day now! :wicked:

Maybe the reason for the obsession with the scary horror bible stories is that the chruch is so fucking boring!

Funny thing is that they even made movies out of this starring none other than Kirk Cameroon. I saw this in online DVD rental shop and nearly fell of my chair because of mao:

Left Behind

Left Behind II: Tribulation Force

Left Behind: World at War

Check out the protestant christians not sparing the catholics even here.

You know, my old high school has these books in its library.

Who wants to help me start a letter-writing campaign to force them out?

Unlike the Bible which has at least some historical and literary value, these travesties have nothing, and should not be sitting on the shelves of a Federally-funded public school for checkout by students (even the BIBLE isn't allowed to be checked out. You wanna skim through the copy, you have to do it IN the library, since it's filed under "reference/literature", and reference books must remain in the library at all times).

You know, my old high school has these books in its library.

Who wants to help me start a letter-writing campaign to force them out?

Why do you want to force out fantasy literature?

It's a shame that such rubbish is taught....however, one of the fruits of the spirit may come in useful here..Patience.....in about 50 years when Jesus hasn,t come hopefully they,ll see it for what it is.

If they haven't figured it out in more than 2000 years, don't expect another 50 years to do it. After all, according to the NT, Jesus is reported to have told his followers that he would return within their lifetime. Didn't happen as far as I know, unless there are some very, very old xians around someplace. And how about the countless xian "prophets" who have predicted the end of the world, right down to date and hour? It's easy to be a true-believer if you can just ignore true facts.

It is sickening and downright demonic. I cannot reason how people could still be into this anti-human deathcult after reading trash like this for themselves. Xianity sure does a number in turning off people's natural sense of compassion and decency, replacing it with pseudo-values and hatred in the name of their god.

Why must Xians indulge in such blood-soaked trash? I don't know for sure, but maybe it's because some of them are jealous of Satan. All they hear about is how evil and nasty Satan is, get jealous that they are not that bad-ass, and create their god in an even more evil image to get their rocks off on. After all, their god is portrayed in the Babble as worse than the devil himself.

Tim LaHaye is writing the 5th gospel. If Christianity is still around 2000 years from now, they will read his books as either history or prophecy, failing to recognize that they are works of fiction, just as today they fail to recognize the first 4 as works of fiction.