Goodbye Jesus

I Never Read The Bible.

Guest NewVoyage

Yes, I have read through the series of stories called the Bible five times. It is the biggest impetus for my leaving the faith. The horror stories of the OT made me realize that the ancient Hebrews commited horrible crimes in the name of their "god" (used him as an excuse) or that he was the worst terrorist known to mankind. The things as literal facts I was to take as true just blew me away, i.e. the talking snake, the talking donkey, one bear able to kill 40 people at once, etc. The absolute disregard of the female race as something less than human. Not to mention the number of false prophecies in the perfect word of god, i.e. the desolation of Egypt to the point that no animal would be able to step foot on its ground for 40 years(found in the book of Ezekiel, I believe). These are just some of the many reasons the "god" of the Bible was not worthy of my time, money and most certainly my worship and praise.

:HappyCry:

It's a beautiful thing......

I must craft a review myself. First...*sigh* I'm going to atually pick up the books again, so I can accurately bitch them out.

Interestingly, someone going by the name Christopher Lee already gave a "warning" on these books before we came along. Something about an Adventist slant.....and some Ellen White lady....

:scratch:

The pastor of my church always discouraged newbie Christians from reading the OT, because he said it was "not applicable to our relationship with Jesus", and it was part of the Bible "only as a historical reference", so I didn't read as much of that as the NT when I was a Christian. Having said that though I never read the whole NT through, mainly just parts of it that were introduced through church or bible study.

Although I tried hard to suppress it, the one thing I knew in the back of my mind as a young Christian was that I was actually afraid (like deeply afraid) to read too much of the Bible, because even though I was raised a Christian there was still a certain amount of Christianity (and the Bible) I found to be, well......, absurd. And I could never really shake that feeling the whole time I was a Christian. And because of that I can't really say that my faith as a Christian was ever all that strong (I would call it moderate at its best). So I guess I knew that it wouldn't take much for my faith to be damaged from what it started out as. I just wanted to believe it all so bad and didn't want to risk weakening my faith.

As they say, ignorance is bliss. :twitch:

Mike, that's interesting, your experience explaines a question a little that I never could fully understand. I could not understand how people call themselves Christian, but don't feel obligated to read the Bible.

But now I see that it is in essence because they're told it's dangerous, or they feel they can't handle the bad stuff in there. Basically it's intentionally avoiding the pitfalls that reading the Bible would entail. Subconsciously believers know they could lose their faith by reading the book, and not get it explained by someone experience in excuses (=apologetics).

I read it - twice, all the way through. And twice more for the NT. I sense a pattern here, because doing so also set me up for questioning the bible. Not even apologists could resolve the faith/works conundrum for me - confusion grew and grew.

Xtians! STOP READING YOUR BIBLES! You can't handle the truth - it will destroy your faith! :toilet:

I read the whole thing: Look at me now! I worship a BUNNY! :twitch::fun::crazy:

I read the whole thing: Look at me now! I worship a BUNNY! :twitch::fun::crazy:

I wanna worship a bunny too!

I read the bible when I was a teenager. I think I read it twice. I figured I was dumb because I didn't understand all the bloody parts and all those who lain with who. I ended up reading Palms for the better part of three years.

I could never figure out why so many people had to die if god was so loving. My parents just told me that I didn't understand god. God was much bigger then I and had a perfect plan for all of us.

I couldn't understand how a preacher could pick one verse and spend hours preaching about it. If someone wanted to run circles around me with biblical facts, I'd be out done! Not that I care much. I burned my NIV bible ten years ago. I wonder if you could go to hell for burning a bible?

Anyways, when I confronted a co-paster on his "child abuse practices", I had to borrow a bible so that I could quote a scripture.

I enjoy life without a bible. I just wish I could get the christian suff out of my head!!!! :Doh:

You know come to think of it, I believe my bible is actually at the bottom of a land fill. Maybe that's not as bad as burning it. :Wendywhatever: