Goodbye Jesus

When Your Ex Pastor Dies

GypsyMoon

So, mother informed me today that my old pastor is pribably going to pass in the next 24 hours. He has cancer, his wife passed away a few minths ago and I couldn't make it to her funeral.

I'm curious, did anyone here bother going to funerals like that? This guy was a huge part of myblife for 17 years, not entirely positive but I have as many good memories as I do bad ones when it comes to him... I'm just not sure whether to go or not and I should probably figure it out now cos I'll have to organise childcare

I won't go to my former pastor's funeral when he kicks the bucket. I might dance on his grave afterward, though. Sorry, my experience was completely negative, so I don't know that I can help you. In your shoes, I'd probably go to pay my respects to a person if they had any kind of positive influence that led to me being me today. Otherwise, I'd skip it.

• Like 2

I won't go to my former pastor's funeral when he kicks the bucket. I might dance on his grave afterward, though. Sorry, my experience was completely negative, so I don't know that I can help you. In your shoes, I'd probably go to pay my respects to a person if they had any kind of positive influence that led to me being me today. Otherwise, I'd skip it.

He sure didn't help me get to where I am today, thanks, that answers that :)

Glad I could help.

• Like 1

Pay your respects after the churchy crap and when they have lowered him in the ground. This is all, of course, if you felt the need to do so. You said you had 50% of good memories of him, no? Then you can do it at the gravesite, again, if inclined as such.

So, mother informed me today that my old pastor is pribably going to pass in the next 24 hours. He has cancer, his wife passed away a few minths ago and I couldn't make it to her funeral.

I'm curious, did anyone here bother going to funerals like that? This guy was a huge part of myblife for 17 years, not entirely positive but I have as many good memories as I do bad ones when it comes to him... I'm just not sure whether to go or not and I should probably figure it out now cos I'll have to organise childcare

Will going to the funeral help you grieve? Will you need to grieve? Do you feel you need to support the family of the deceased? Not really any other reason to go if you would really rather not go, imo.

Guest Furball

why do people grieve christian deaths?? Aren't they all in heaven right now?? you would think people would be celebrating christian deaths and having a dance party at the gravesite because they are in sky disneyland now. sorry to be a dick but it's how i feel

i wouldn't go, why should this person make your life harder by trying to find childcare just so you can go look at his gravesite

waste of time 

sorry gypsymoon

When my Mom died, the church held a "Celebration of Life." I hate how they think changing the name of something changes its nature. Halloween becomes "Autumn Harvest." That's the main one that pisses me off.

I went when the old bishop died from my old church. I don't remember if it was a good or bad experience. I wouldn't go today for anyone's funeral in that church. Do as feels right for you. You don't owe anyone. I used to think I owed people but I no longer feel that way. Nor do I feel like I have to prove anything to them. I don't know about you but for me that can make a difference in what activities I participate.