Goodbye Jesus

The Bible Is The Book Of Magic

EdwardAbbey

What else can the bible be classified as but nothing more than a book of tales, legends and magical tricks by an entity created in the image of humans with superstitious minds?

As I’ve said in another thread, the bible is a fairy tale for adults who have abandoned rational thinking. It is a fairy tale for adults no different than Santa Claus is a fairy tale for children. It is a story book of an imaginary cosmic magician.

At least a child will eventually outgrow their belief in Santa but what’s the problem with adults having so much difficulty rejecting their beliefs in a fairy tale Deity?

I think the main problem is that Christianity is an irresistible force for believers and find it extremely difficult and fearful to break free from.

http://www.jovialatheist.com/ufo.html

Well, now I'm really wondering if the books aren't the low level understanding writings of men who were told and witnessed many things and described it as best they could. Shows there is no God, just nonEarth beings of 46 chromosomes who were more advanced than we are now, and totally foreign to our ancestors back then.

We may find out some day.. or not, because we'd probably kill them for spoiling everyone's fantasy and great wars.

No showing at a theatre near you

post-1105-1138436059_thumb.jpg

What else can the bible be classified as but nothing more than a book of tales, legends and magical tricks by an entity created in the image of humans with superstitious minds?

I think the main problem is that Christianity is an irresistible force for believers and find it extremely difficult and fearful to break free from.

I always find it baffling & funny, that the religions it replaced as the primary religion in Europe & the mid East are now all widely accepted as mythology.

I sure hope that we begin to see people begin to widely accept the same of the Christianity & the others before I die as well.

At least a child will eventually outgrow their belief in Santa but what’s the problem with adults having so much difficulty rejecting their beliefs in a fairy tale Deity?

Actually, do children actually outgrow their belief in Santa, or do they just now eat a grown-ups cereal, so to speak? Aren't they still eating cereal though?

I don't think it's Christianity that is the irresistible force, but human beings belief in magic is.

:magic:

Having supernatural beliefs is very natural for human beings, and since Xianity is the spirituality most folks are raised with on this end of the world, that becomes their spiritual outlook. They are raised from birth to accept it, to never dare to question it, and to fall back on it whenever anything gets tough. No alternatives are ever permitted, and there is said to be no way off that one way street.

Even as a Xian, towards the end of my belief in it, I began to see that the Babble is more like a book of myths and fairy tales, with talking animals and world-altering events and fantastic creatures for which there is no evidence for the existence of. The fact that none save Xian sources claim to have any secular evidence for the Holah Scripchahs also bolstered that. More and more to me, the Babble looked like just that, mythological, made up babble, and of a decidedly shoddy and inferior quality.

I wish it would happen in my lifetime, too, but I think it will take a few more generations for Xianity to finally be thrown down and open-minded philosophies like Deism or Agnosticism, etc, to catch on. People are getting tired of being muddled and weighed down by religious bullcrap and are yearning for real spiritual freedom, and that trend is not likely to stop. Eventually, Xianity will be just another myth, and Islam and Judaism will follow in time.

I wish it would happen in my lifetime, too, but I think it will take a few more generations for Xianity to finally be thrown down and open-minded philosophies like Deism or Agnosticism, etc, to catch on. People are getting tired of being muddled and weighed down by religious bullcrap and are yearning for real spiritual freedom, and that trend is not likely to stop. Eventually, Xianity will be just another myth, and Islam and Judaism will follow in time.

Good post Wolfheart,

As far as I'm concerned, atheism and freethought is real spiritual freedom. It reminds me of this great quote by Robert Ingersoll:

What is it to be spiritual?

To recognize the finer harmonies of conduct -- to live to the ideal -- to separate the incidental, the evanescent, from the perpetual -- to be enchanted with the perfect melody of truth -- open to the influences of the artistic, the beautiful, the heroic -- to shed kindness as the sun sheds light -- to recognize the good in others, and to include the world in the idea of self -- that is to be spiritual.

The bible isn't a very good book of magic, though. I think Solomon's Greater Key and Goetia were much better written.

As far as I'm concerned, atheism and freethought is real spiritual freedom. It reminds me of this great quote by Robert Ingersoll:

What is it to be spiritual?

To recognize the finer harmonies of conduct -- to live to the ideal -- to separate the incidental, the evanescent, from the perpetual -- to be enchanted with the perfect melody of truth -- open to the influences of the artistic, the beautiful, the heroic -- to shed kindness as the sun sheds light -- to recognize the good in others, and to include the world in the idea of self -- that is to be spiritual.

:)Edward Abbey... thanks for sharing that! It is wonderful, and I am saving it. IMO, it deserves to be posted again, so I did. :thanks: