Goodbye Jesus

So, I Had A Dream About Hell Last Night

violetbutterfly

That was fun. Stupid brain manifesting subconscious fears.

So . . . 

details please.    :)

I'm on my phone so the short version...

It was bizarre...I went to a house with a group of people, and it started out alright. It was a neat house, but apparently it was a trap. At one point, we were all led to the basement by one particular guy. Then he locked us in and we realized there was a huge underground series of rooms filled with people, and we were never getting out. A bunch of us decided we were going to wait by the door and when he opened it again we were going to ambush him. We did and got back to the upstairs of the house. Then I realized the door guy was just a pawn and the real "brains" was a normal looking woman in her 20s. I kept trying to run away and she kept catching up, of course. I ran out to the front of the house, where there was a lake. There was a busy world happening on the other side of the lake. The woman and I were on the beach in a stand off and she suddenly morphed into the typical satan with horns and a tail and started doing all the usual fire breathing, etc. I asked if this was hell or if I was still on earth and I whatever the answer was, I wasn't dead yet. I kept trying to get away but of course Satan kept catching me. Then I realized (as if this would work) that if he couldn't see me or hear me, I could get away. So I ripped out his eyes and ripped off his ears and he was momentarily disoriented so I swam across the lake clutching them in my hand. I got up on the shore and I was in front of a police station. A group of cops were sitting outside and I ran up to them and started going on about how the house across the lake was hell and there were all kinds of people trapped in the basement and that I was holding Satan's eyes and ears and of course they laughed at me like I was crazy. I was trying to get someone to believe me when Satan appeared to take me back so I could find out what else was waiting for me in the basement. I was filled with an overwhelming sense of dread that I was doomed for eternity....and then I woke up. Fun!

• Like 3

Guest CutiePie

If a christian was to read this they will tell you how God is talking to you, and he's warning you. 

Dreams are simply just our thoughts & nothing more. I'm sorry you had that dream though. :( *hugs*

Thanks, sweets. It was definitely unsettling.

But that's funny because lately I've given God a few more chances...like God, please show me you're here and you do care, show me one tiny gesture and I'll come back....and nothing.

So he's had plenty of opportunity to win back an unbeliever with his unending love but instead would choose to scare me back with threats from the devil.

That's lovely.

• Like 1

Yes, that dream sucked!  I think fear of hell is one of the things that is hardest to wash out of our hair.  But the whole hell thing is so immoral and also contradictory to other parts of the Bible that it's an obvious control mechanism.  Plus maybe a way of symbolizing human fears, as it was in your subconscious.

I still have dreams on rare occasions that I'm either back at church or at seminary or something. 

God had plenty of chances to win me over in Dreams- I asked himself so myself! 

Unless dreams of being seduced by other guys or humiliating my enemies in class is God's will, I have been disappointed.

Funny I had a dream many years ago I went to hell and fell in love with Satan's daughter. I thought if God had a son then Satan had a daughter. Now if you read gnostic works the Sophia is female so its kinda close

I'm sorry that you had this awful dream. It sounds like it was scary for you. I hope if you do have a lingering fear of the underworld, that it will go away soon.

But I still thought it was hilarious. You ripped out Satan's eyes and told the cops you beat up the devil.... :lmao:

Sounds to me like you beat the hell out of him!

*snicker-snicker-snort*

I'd be "momentarily disorientated" too if someone gouged out my eyes and ripped off my ears.

All the same, I'm sorry you had this dream. That's all it is, though; fantasy. I'd look up if it means anything, because dreams are indications of the subconscious mind, but beyond that don't let it get you down.

Guest Furball

I have had dreams about hell before. One time god in my dream shoved me into an oven to roast me, but the door opened up at the last minute, and i got out. I was a christian when i had this dream, so i interpreted it that i deserved to go to hell but god had mercy on me at the last minute and let me out, which represented salvation.

You showed strength in the dream by ripping out his eyes and ears, and swimming across the lake while still holding them, then trying to get people to believe you even when they laughed.  Good for you, Strong Lady!  

In a funny sort of way this strikes me as quite encouraging.  Have you a residual fear of hell?  Well, ripping out satan's eyes and ears strikes me as a pretty effective confrontation of that fear.

I'm sorry for your dream. I had several of these during 2014, after deconverting. The best answer I have is it takes time for the emotions to catch up with the brain.

There's a guy goes by the name Lungfish on AtheistNexus. He has a really interesting story of how it all diminished in his mind before it ultimately disappeared. I read his story a year before I officially deconverted. I still think about that.

I have had too many nightmares and the only time I dreamt about hell is when I was Christian, now I have dreams in which I am in a paradise told by specific religions.

Thanks for the encouragement! It's funny now when I read it. But at the time it was scary...you know how sometimes it's more the feeling associated with a dream than what's actually happening in it? It was a pretty terrifying feeling. I've had other dreams where I wake up feeling wonderful and optimistic and a day later that feeling is gone. Same with this one.

I can definitely figure out a lot of the associations from a comedy show I'd seen the night before. And the devil part I probably got from reading this board. So I know it was just my subconscious piecing things together. I don't actively fear hell, but there are probably pieces of the indoctrination still being purged from my mind.

It's funny, but I had a few dreams about hell as a Christian but not one since deconverting. But we are all different and the poisen of religion affects us all differently.

I have to say, I survived a 300 foot fall, battled witches and a terrifying voodoo lady, but I never attacked the devil, much less ripped out his eyes and ears. *toasts violetbutterfly* I actually think I would like to vanquish zombie Jesus instead of the devil. I think of Satan as a good guy, seeing as he is the nemesis of biblegod.

• Like 1

I too think (like Amateur) that there's a lot of positive in the dream. You fight the devil, you harm him, you swim away with what you know is proof of what happened.

Houses in dreams often signify "us" and the room meanings come from word associations, sayings etc so maybe the house & hell in the basement is about how you figured out a doctrine of hell is not a good....er, basis? for your life and self. The normal girl morphing into the devil is your eyes opening to see that what looked innocent and good is not.

The police have authority over us. Are you afraid, or have actually experienced, that someone who is an authority to you (parents or whoever comes to mind) wouldn't take your deconversion seriously?

Dreams can be so weird sometimes. It's cool that you beat up the devil in your dream instead of losing to him. Maybe your brain is trying to sort out the fact that you don't have those beliefs anymore, it's a pretty big deal to go from Christian to non believer, the thought processes you have are totally different, it might take a while to get used to it completely.

I still have dreams of a religious nature sometimes but not as frequently as I used to. Usually when I have bad dreams I dream that I'm on a plane that crashes. I haven't been on a plas since I was 2 1/2.

Sorry that you were psychologically abused and had these awful visions planted in your head - supposedly from a religion of tolerance and love. :(

I had a dream about Hell once too. I was standing in line with my loved ones and we were convinced it was a line to get into Heaven. We waited for a long time as the line shuffled slowly forward. After a while I asked a "line guard" why it was taking so long to get into Heaven. He smirked and pointed at another line going the other way.

"Sir, that's the Heaven line."

I woke up in a cold sweat. I've told family about this dream before and I'm sure they're now saying how it was a prophecy and I'm in the "Hell line".

Christian Hell stopped scaring me when I deconverted and realized I'd never been scared of the countless other versions of Hell that other religions and other Christians have been scared of over the past 3000 years. Why wasn't I scared of the other versions? Because they weren't real. Therefore, mine is also not real.

Religion + Children = Psychological Mess

Hell is an interesting concept though not even the bible quite knows Enoch said one thing Jesus said another, then there's revelations

Answer to a christian interpretation: Typical "god " behaviour. He gives you nowt when ur following him but sends you warning dreams after your deconverted to warn you and display his "love".