Goodbye Jesus

Your Place In Church

Penguin

Back in my Pentecostal days I mostly just attended. Acted in a couple plays, helped out with some practical stuff, and gave a testimony in (iirc) one service. I wanted to do much more, though.

As a new age Jesus follower I didn't go to church, though I did think positively about it.

Before I tore that half aborted abomination known as Christianity out of my head, we had stopped going to church for a few years, mostly because the old pastor retired and moved away, and I'm really not sure why else, my desire not to open that can of worms always exceeded my curiosity.

Before that though, I was the dreaded "wolf in sheep's clothing", though my shy/anxious disposition and young age gave me enough cover to get by without any noticeable suspicion. Not sure why they are so afraid of us, I was more afraid of being pressured into losing myself if I was found out... Though I guess not all wolves are forced to hide, so to speak.

My participation was minimal at most, tried to stay out of trouble, you know, low profile and all that. Sunday school was usually over by the time we made it to church, so I got to avoid that like the plague. Though I eventually lost where my disguise ended and myself began, hence why I ended up having to tear Christianity out, so to speak.

I promise I'm not a sociopath or anything, just a bit fucked up in the head, nothing dangerous, unless you're in my imagination... Then I make no guarantees, God sure didn't last long.

I was just an attendee.

Fun Question. home group leader 7 years. Oversaw/developed bible study curriculum for all home groups, taught adult Sunday school classes, taught membership classes (indoctrination series 13 weeks long!), taught premarital classes, launched orphan care ministry, led mission teams, worship team...I was all in...

I was a worship leader in both church (charismaniac) and para-church organizations.

Oh well. At least I got to be a rock star. Wendyshrug.gif

• Like 1

I was a worship leader in both church (charismaniac) and para-church organizations.

Oh well. At least I got to be a rock star. Wendyshrug.gif

Yay!  Me too!

I was just an attendee. I went to the LIFE Conference (did anyone else do this?), helped out with children's church, the nursery sometimes, that was about it.

I really didn't have a place in the church. I just didn't know it until the final straw came and I left that stupid church for good 2 years ago. I was never formally involved, so I was a visiting attendee.