Goodbye Jesus

Heaven Is For Real

StarGazer

So, this movie is coming out, based on the experiences of some kid in America. Apparently, he 'died' and went to Heaven. Nothing too out of the ordinary, I guess. Except this story gets a sappy Hollywood movie.

But the Christians love it. They swarmed onto the comments section of the video, spewing up messages of faith and praise.

'SOMEBODY in Hollywood is trying to bring God back into the film industry. GOD BLESS'

'HEAVEN IS FOR REAL GUYS. HOPE YOU FIND THE LIGHT. I KNOW I HAVE'

'I work in a hospital, and have seen this happen many times. It's true, hopefully you come to accept it before you die'

So yeah, the Jesus Freaks are pumped for this movie. But the question I have is, would you consider watching this movie? My reaction to seeing my Dad downloading a copy, was to instinctively wrinkle my nose in disgust. 

I would only watch it in order to deconstruct it and provide commentary.  Fortunately there are already plenty of secular commentators willing to endure such films.

Hasn't this movie BEEN out for a while? And since then, the kid and the father have admitted to fabricating the whole story and yet people still don't care? Or was that some other movie? I get these mixed up. They're all the same to me...

http://www.people.com/article/alex-malarkey-boy-who-came-back-from-heaven-hoax

In an open letter to Pulpit and Pen website published earlier this week, Alex wrote succinctly: "I did not die. I did not go to Heaven.

Different kid

I'm aware of at least two books based on at least two different boys telling this type of story.

They couldn't make a movie about it unless Heaven is real.       GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

Seriously though, every six months or so there is a new guy who puts a new book with

the same story.  This meme is such a money maker within the target audience.

If you have a near death experience wouldn't you go to heaven adjacent?

mwc

• Like 1

I saw this movie twice in as many days when it was in the theaters. It was very well done and very emotionally moving. I find the NDE phenomenon fascinating and the current popular "hallucination" theory to explain them problematic at best. The biggest problem with that theory is that it fails to explain the life-transforming nature of most NDEs. It also fails to explain how a person who has little or no measurable brain activity could possibly hallucinate. I have no idea what NDEs are, but I do know that they are not hallucinations. I'm open to skeptical theories that have merit, though. I read the book "Proof of Heaven" by Dr. Eben Alexander and I was initially impressed with it. But, it's not hard to find skeptical responses to it online that debunk it pretty well. I don't doubt that the man had some sort of profound experience while he was ill, but I doubt it was a glimpse of a real afterlife after reading the skeptical responses to his story.

All of that said, though, since I'm not a Christian, I have reason to doubt the truth of this story, as emotionally moving as it was. But, who knows? Wendyshrug.gif Nobody knows what does or does not happen after death. That includes Christians, Atheists, and everybody else. All we do know is that dead people stay dead.

As much as I liked this movie when I saw it at the theater, I have not felt led of the Lard to purchase the Blu-ray. Wendyshrug.gif