Goodbye Jesus

It's Not Worth It

Worthless

Yes but those 10 words led me into atheism so, worthless, you best stick to your memorized tripe and don't think too deeply about it

Hi,

I'm a Christian here.

Just wanted to say I read the posts every now and then. Let us pretend that Jesus is not real. He was just a man, a lunatic, or didn't even exist. He never died for you, He never saved you. You were brainwashed etc.

But what if IT is true? What if there really is a heaven and hell, and you are going straight to hell, where you will burn and be tormented for all eternity?

A wise person would go back and return to the flock and serve Jesus just in case. Maybe you will have to put up with hypocrisy, and judgment inside the church....but at least that is only for a short while compared to suffering in hell for all eternity.

It's not worth it.

That's Pascal's wager, it's a very old and notoriously very bad argument, because it's based on a fallacy called "false choice" - where you give people only two choices (to believe my religion, or none) where there are really an infinitude of other options, that are discounted for no reason at all:

Why not ask yourself that question about every single other religion out there? What if it is true that you'll be reborn as a potato beetle for failing your obligations in this life? What if you're going to hell for not being Muslim? What if you're going to be a hungry ghost after you die, because you're not the right religion? 

You see, all of these other options have just the same stakes, and just the same evidence that you have. This is no way to try to convince people. Seriously, though, I think all of us, including yourself, deserve an explanation as to why you're Christian, as opposed to all of the other religions, or - if you'd prefer - why your specific sect of Christianity, in the face of all of the various alternatives. Arguments of the form: "it's true because I believe it's true" are also circular thinking, and similarly no kind of argument, so none of that nonsense, please.

• Like 2

Why doesn't the Holy Spirit send us a Christian who can answer our questions and astound us with God's wisdom?  It should be easy since God can do anything.

• Like 1

Why doesn't the Holy Spirit send us a Christian who can answer our questions and astound us with God's wisdom?  It should be easy since God can do anything.

The almighty Jesus doesn't just, you know...  'do' stuff. 

• Like 1

"It isn't in Gods plan".

"It isn't in Gods plan".

I noticed that Worthless was on last night and read this thread for quite a while.  However the Holy Spirit called him to do something else instead of responding to the conversation here.

"It isn't in Gods plan".

I noticed that Worthless was on last night and read this thread for quite a while.  However the Holy Spirit called him to do something else instead of responding to the conversation here.

I wonder what could be more important for the Holy Spirit than to save a bunch of sinners going to hell? I guess that us puny humans don't have the means to determine what the Great Ghost has in store for us or why it does what it does.

Not sure it's a good idea for a Christian to hang out on a website with those destined for Hell. :)

Not sure it's a good idea for a Christian to hang out on a website with those destined for Hell. smile.png

Shhhhhhhh!   Don't let our secret out.  I was about to win another soul for Satan.

Guest Furball

I think most people here have committed the unforgiveable sin, which is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. There is no hope for most of you here. Your fate is sealed.

I'm not God and I can't see into each person's heart, but if you had the Holy Spirit as some of you say you have, and now have renounced it...that's it. That makes me sad.

Make yourselves as comfy as you can now because that is all that is left for you.

What you think doesn't matter. If you did think, you would have made a real thinking decision on whether christianity is true or false based on evidence. Most people on here have not committed the blasphemy against the holy spirit, becoming an unbeliever is not committing that sin. 

No one here renounced the holy spirit. We didn't choose this. I begged and pleaded with your version of god to not let me depart from your version of faith. Since your version of god did absolutely nothing to prevent me from becoming an unbeliever, doesn't that leave the fault with your god and not me??????

I am very comfy thank you. Your right, this life is all that i have left for me because there is no after life. You have -0- proof that there is an after life. 

Since you have no clue what any of us have gone through in our deconversions, and are making blatant false accusations against us, that makes you a liar, and all liars will have their part in the lake of fire. So Mr. Worthless, make yourself comfy as you can now because that is all that is left for you now. 

-peace/cat

• Super Moderator

What is really "not worth it" is arguing with these folks with blinders firmly in place and thinking we might penetrate their darkness.

BUT, others do see these exchanges and many will see how religious belief can get us mired in denial and prone to make stupid and unfounded statements and arguments. Posters such as this, even the hit and run variety, provide a valuable service to those wanting to take an honest look at beliefs.

Guest Furball

Posters such as this, even the hit and run variety, provide a valuable service to those wanting to take an honest look at beliefs.

Well excuse fucking me.

• Super Moderator

Wrath?

"It isn't in Gods plan".

I suspect he has nothing else to say without repeating himself.

• Like 1

I think perhaps some of you secretly wish you could come back, but can't anymore because of the unforgiveable sin.

You guys took the long hard road alone. I can respect that in essence. I have read some of the testimonials and see that it is not easy. You weren't meant to do it alone. You weren't meant to walk alone in this world. I urge everyone who has not committed blasphemy to return to their Maker, the One who loves them.

Nah, I have no interest in going back. I'm best buddies with Satan now. devilfinger.gif

• Like 2

Wrath?

Eh, as far as sins go that one is kind of meh.  I prefer lust.

By the way, "Worthless", if you're going the Ecclesiastes route, it's "meaningless", not "worthless".

Just sayin'.

Good answers but this is just a stupid thread.

Good answers but this is just a stupid thread.

Stupid is as stupid does. - Forrest Gump. 

I was as extreme as it gets,    a  KJV ONLYIST,  YOUNG EARTH CREATIONIST, GEOCENTRIST  and realizing The Bible teaches  Ancient Hebrew cosmology of  FLAT EARTH.

I  probably know The Bible better than your pastor,    it's what all my time was spent on last few years and I really sincerely believed it every word.  I had 30+  bumper stickers promoting   "Christ or Hell "     YEC Geocentric,   KJV   anti evolution    etc etc.  I bought old Gideons KJV bibles off ebay to give to people along with chick tracts   to let everybody  know they are wicked evil sinner   guilty of being born.

I know all the   argument for and against   the positions and   I was a loyal apologist, I'm probably a street preacher's worse nightmare  now   and may send them crying to their mommy with their "faith" in shreds.

I could not have believed this stuff any more and could not have been any more zealous      yet then realized it just isn't true.

All you have to do  is stop for a second  and allow the possibility in your mind   that perhaps the " supposed contradictions"  in The Bible    are actual contradictions   and that   Robert Price,   Richard Carrier, and Bart Ehrhman   have   valid arguments.    Imagine then   what   "Christianity"  would look like  if was just manmade with  no    holy spirit"  leading anybody and you see  that is exactly  what Christianity    actually looks like

"Christian guy"      think about it      how many denominations there are   and how that simply  proves  John 16: 13     false   and  1 Cor 14:33    false,    all you gotta do is compare the Bible with reality  within Christianity and easy to see  is what you would expect  if  it is just manmade.

Street preachers  most zealous can yell in a bullhorn at  people at the beach or wherever    and be living by the book  24-7   and yet  cannot ever lay hands on and  heal a single   person on the spot   when according to  Jesus Christ    they are supposed to  Mark 16:18, go look at Ray Comfort's evangelism stuff   motto Mark 16:15  as an order to all Christians    yet  the 16:18  is ignored   because   none of them can actually heal anybody ever.  The Bible never said that   after Jesus, Peter, Paul, that healing would stop when preaching  and yet   ask  a streetpreacher and the "excuse is the healings stopped when Bible was finished  and "those "miracles" were only for 1st century

Compare the average Christian  life with how the new testament   says  Christians will be led by "Spirit"       and see  it just is not true.

apologists claim that you got your conscience, your knowledge of basic right and wrong from the "God" of the Bible  who is supposed to be Jesus Christ front to back  and yet Old Testament morality violates that conscience over and over  with activity ordered by that "God".    apologists brush it off as "Old Testament "  while same time saying God cannot lie, doesn't change and   ignoring that  Hebrews 13:8   has Jesus Christ   supporting  all the  OT stuff that  goes against your conscience while then contradicting it all with sermon on mount.

Once you  shake the mindset of needing  the Bible to be the inerrant infallible word of God,  you will see that    hell is  no more a threat that    Darth Vader sending you to the deathstar

• Like 7

Hey Brian, welcome to ex-C!  Sounds like you are going to fit in here just fine.  I do look forward to hearing more from you.

All you have to do  is stop for a second  and allow the possibility in your mind   that perhaps the " supposed contradictions"  in The Bible    are actual contradictions

Love it!

Welcome, Brian.

Shit just got real again for OP

What solidified  it for me as completely fake, when  having severe doubts  and  interacting with the persons associated with the   KJV  YEC Geocentric  basically people who were   24-7 Bible people, all of them accused me of  never having believed, being a fraud, a devil possessed,  a  CIA  plant   a  Jesuit,    a wicked evil devil   not just possessed but an actual devil,      when   the actual  truth   was  I was a true believer   as zealous as claimed   and seeing that  all of these people   who follow that Bible  literally as possible  and yet no "Holy Spirit"  was around to  tell any of them they were wrong in accusations  it showed me   John 16:13  completely false   and all the arguments against  Christianity are actually true.  

My  "born again"  experience  did change me  but  I think it was just the start of a religious  psychological simulacrum       and I had the personality type   susceptible to it.   If I had been in Pakistan  would have been Muslim for same reason I suppose.    A Christian with  zeal is  annoying at most not physically dangerous   had I been muslim  would probably killed somebody.

I see now how religion had it's time  when  society needed it but now it's   just.... stupid.

After being a young earth creationist  I still  see design  in nature  I just do not know  who  done it  and sure  do not  believe whoever created  really cares if I watch  the Kate Upton Cat Daddy  video

• Like 3