Goodbye Jesus

Who Knew

themonkeyman

Agreed on the good effects of the Internet.  That said, I will state the obvious and point out that this works both ways.  Evangelicals have never shied away from using modern communication to propagate Jesus, and they have very quickly adopted electronic media.  Yes, the Internet is a wonderful resource for learning about the arguments against Christianity.  But how many of us previously used the Internet to listen to sermons or to read texts both modern and ancient on Christianity?  During my years as a Christian I absorbed material from all of my favorite Calvinist pastors, and consumed the entirety of the ante-Nicene church fathers, all without paying a dime since it was available online.

I certainly don't fear knowledge or seek to censor it, and I'm glad these things are available online.  But know that Christians use the Internet to preach Jesus, just as their predecessors used street corners and soap boxes.

Very true. There is a concept in mass communication known as the gatekeeper theory. In the pre-internet days, in order to reach a mass audience, you had to pass through a filtering mechanism. For news, it was the editors. For books, it was the publishers. The list goes on. There is a good side as well as a bad side to such a system. With the internet, anyone can have access to a huge audience at no cost. The main problem for the unaware is vetting the quality of a source. Websites can look quite legitimate and be completely fraudulent, and with current methods of keeping domains private, you have few ways to discover the true backer of a site. About all you can do is trust sites that are up front about their ownership.

Very true, Older. I'm sorry I hadn't read your post when I wrote mine!

As to the video: WTF??!! Fat white primates dressed up screaming and jumping up and down?

Makes Gay Pride parades look sedate.

As to the video: WTF??!! Fat white primates dressed up screaming and jumping up and down?

See? Without the internet, you wouldn't have enjoyed this religious experience. They are not drunk, as you suppose. They're just high on Jesus Juice. The Big One is pleased by this display of zeal for the Lord.

By the way, "Fat White Primates Dressed Up Screaming and Jumping Up and Down" is a much better title for this vid than "Teen Campmeeting 2015."

Agreed on the good effects of the Internet.  That said, I will state the obvious and point out that this works both ways.  Evangelicals have never shied away from using modern communication to propagate Jesus, and they have very quickly adopted electronic media.  Yes, the Internet is a wonderful resource for learning about the arguments against Christianity.  But how many of us previously used the Internet to listen to sermons or to read texts both modern and ancient on Christianity?  During my years as a Christian I absorbed material from all of my favorite Calvinist pastors, and consumed the entirety of the ante-Nicene church fathers, all without paying a dime since it was available online. I certainly don't fear knowledge or seek to censor it, and I'm glad these things are available online.  But know that Christians use the Internet to preach Jesus, just as their predecessors used street corners and soap boxes.

Very true. There is a concept in mass communication known as the gatekeeper theory. In the pre-internet days, in order to reach a mass audience, you had to pass through a filtering mechanism. For news, it was the editors. For books, it was the publishers. The list goes on. There is a good side as well as a bad side to such a system. With the internet, anyone can have access to a huge audience at no cost. The main problem for the unaware is vetting the quality of a source. Websites can look quite legitimate and be completely fraudulent, and with current methods of keeping domains private, you have few ways to discover the true backer of a site. About all you can do is trust sites that are up front about their ownership.
Very true, Older. I'm sorry I hadn't read your post when I wrote mine!
That's OK. It's good to know that great minds think alike! ????

Some people should not be released from custody.

I think the Internet has also impacted the extent to which people feel they need local community.

I think evangelicals underestimate the threat of internet technology. I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to go dark in the future.

I think that video set my IQ to -20. Absolutely crazy. It makes me wonder how these same people would feel if that video was played back at their work place or family events. Think they would still be proud of themselves?

If someone was to act that way out in a store or somewhere like that someone would probably call the police or something along those lines.

....and just to think i was part of the xtian cult once.

• Like 1

See? Without the internet, you wouldn't have enjoyed this religious experience. They are not drunk, as you suppose. They're just high on Jesus Juice. The Big One is pleased by this display of zeal for the Lord.

By the way, "Fat White Primates Dressed Up Screaming and Jumping Up and Down" is a much better title for this vid than "Teen Campmeeting 2015."

Indeed. There are clearly no teens in this video.

I think the internet is an excellent thing all around. Of course, religious zealots will air their views as much as anyone. Of course, the religious faithful will visit only the sites that agree with their prejudices. But they will do that with or without the internet. However, now skeptics can review a wide range of views without having to fully immerse themselves in one church environment after another. They can freely compare various ideas without being held as a captive audience. Having the insane post their thoughts publicly just makes their insanity all the more apparent to anyone willing to ask the question.

2 things...

1. From their gestures they seem to be doing p90x for church meetings. See the jumping and sweating. This is good for older fat guys.

2. Well I forgot while typing 1.

• Like 1

Ah says it's been removed by user now.

I think that video set my IQ to -20. Absolutely crazy. It makes me wonder how these same people would feel if that video was played back at their work place or family events. Think they would still be proud of themselves?

If someone was to act that way out in a store or somewhere like that someone would probably call the police or something along those lines.

....and just to think i was part of the xtian cult once.

I grew up in churches like this. A lot of shouting, bible-waving, "Hay-men"s and "Preach the fire down, brother!" Very little sanity. No wonder I am the way I am!

And in answer to your thought as to what these people would feel if the video was played back . . . Angus informs us that they've removed the video. Damn. They always remove the good ones!