Goodbye Jesus

What Would Happen If The Bible Became Law?

EdwardAbbey

It’s possible these things might happen if the Bible were the law of the land in America:

all religions outside of Christianity would be outlawed

all religious art would be outlawed

blasphemy would be outlawed; questioning gods existence, the bible, Jesus, Yahweh, possibly atheism would be outlawed. Atheists would be required to attend religious training.

Ministers and preachers who deconverted from Christianity would be brought up on charges of heresy

working on Sundays would be against the law; church attendance would become mandatory, people would be taken away in hand-cuffs to jail.

self-defense would become illegal

adultery would become illegal and possibly punishable by death penalty

homosexuality would become illegal and homosexuals, lesbians and bisexuals would be rounded up by the government and sent to “Transforming Faith-Based Centers”

lying would be outlawed jail time required. Not to be confused with lying under oath (perjury)

personal desire would be against the law (Commandment # 10)

In short, America would be declared a “faith based nation” !

I seriously doubt that even the theists would want to live in such a country.

Comments?

In short, America would be declared a “faith based nation” !

I seriously doubt that even the theists would want to live in such a country.

Comments?

You haven't read much about Christian Reconstructionists, have you? :scratch:

They are working toward everything that you've described above because, you see, it is God's Will™.

Ref" RAH, "Revolt in 2100"

Cross Ref: daFatman's "Reloading Vetos for upcoming Ballistics Parties daily"

Mix..

Synthesis would be a Free Nation, Free People, well on way to Constitutional Restoration.

The barest bones, simplest condensation and summary of situation i can do.

"ain't'a willing to die for it? Then the fuckin' thing may not be worth livin' for"

kL

I agree that this would suck, but I don't understand the religious art thing. Most religious art was made by Christians. I hardly think anyone would outlaw it entirely, since it would promote the cult in places like museums and people's homes, and thus be good advertising.

If it became law I'd either-

A. Move away.

B. Create a group to overthrow the government

You're the man, Epo.

I agree that this would suck, but I don't understand the religious art thing. Most religious art was made by Christians. I hardly think anyone would outlaw it entirely, since it would promote the cult in places like museums and people's homes, and thus be good advertising.

Well, they'd certainly outlaw secular art. Xtian art is maybe too close to idolatry for the proddies.

Of course, if the ring-kissers took over they'd probably promote xtian art.

Either way secular, humanistic art would be banned. Along with legal abortions and contraceptives. Probably women would also lose the vote.

Actually, the whole proposal in the OP sounds an awful lot like the Taliban, doesn't it?

You know there would be war with Canada damn near immediately if that happened.

My state would be effectively cut off (fortunately). I'd be a refugee in Canada. Unless I moved somewhere else before the shit hit the fan. Which would be a wise move.

I would then try to garner sympathy and make valuable contacts for the likely resistance pockets that would spring up in America.

You would also find out pretty damn quick just how few Fundies are in the so called "majority". Just cause they're loud.....doesn't mean they are the true majority. I don't think it would last long.

You know there would be war with Canada damn near immediately if that happened.

My state would be effectively cut off (fortunately). I'd be a refugee in Canada. Unless I moved somewhere else before the shit hit the fan. Which would be a wise move.

I'd move to Canada if it happened. It's close enough to the Minnesota border anyway.

Well, they'd certainly outlaw secular art. Xtian art is maybe too close to idolatry for the proddies.

Of course, if the ring-kissers took over they'd probably promote xtian art.

Either way secular, humanistic art would be banned. Along with legal abortions and contraceptives. Probably women would also lose the vote.

Actually, the whole proposal in the OP sounds an awful lot like the Taliban, doesn't it?

Okay. Yeah, I can see the secular art being banned, except maybe for paintings of flowers or some such thing.

Yeah, I'd definitely be out of here, or else loading up a few vetoes myself. If such a thing happened, I'd be married and we'd possibly have kids then, so I'd just want them safely away from Jesusland. I'd run up my little 13-star American Flag on foriegn soil and take a moment to mourn What Once Was.

I don't think Xian art would be outlawed. Fundies make lots of art, even just the whimsical, limp-wristed soft n' fuzzy Jeezus stuff. Art is good propaganda, and despite what the Scripchahs clearly say about idols and such, fundies would have loads of Xian art. After all, they aren't exactly known for following the Babble to the letter.

I'm not sure if women would lose the vote. Again, only hardcore fundy groups would want that. Mainstream Xian women are too empowered to permit that, and they are just as pesky as the men in promoting the deathcult, so the churches wouldn't want to lose that. Xian women leading women's seminars and retreats and so on are also great propaganda tools, and in the end, spreading the deathcult is what's important. Women may not lose the vote, but would it really matter? What would there even be to vote for anyhow?

I can see war with Canada and Mexico, et al, but only for the "desparate need to bring the Gospel to the unbelievers." That'd be the excuse - and that I can sadly see all too well. Again, spreading the deathcult is what's important, no matter how many corpses you have to stack up, first.

All the other oppresiveness, yes, that'll happen. Free speech will be in name only, only state-authorized fundies can have guns, lifting a finger to do anything more than preach the wurd on Sundays will be illegal, blah blah blah.

I doubt, in a country with so many religious and political factions as America that such a thing could really take deep roots. But, if it did, America will be a nightmare and the Founders will be spinning in their graves.

It actually makes me thing of The Handmaid's Tale. I doubt it would get that bad, but it sure would be bad enough to make me want to move elsewhere.

I haven't read the Handmaid's Tale, but I've heard of it. Is it a good read?

it would never happen.

White Raven hit something profound with "finding out how many real fundies" there are. The christians should be thanking thier lucky stars there are people like us out here. Go over to worldmagblog sometime and read some of the stuff there. I am always hearing this stuff about how if you don't like it, then move; how the christians are going to make this a moral country again (personally, I can't find a single place in our history where anyone would be considered very "moral" by todays standards).

Fact is, if it weren't for the people like us, then the denominations would turn on each other like a pack of rabid wolves. Christians have pretty much been in charge of things for the last 1500 years, and when they didn't have pagans or witches or infidels to weed out, they turned on each other (by making each other pagans, witches and/or infidels).

The reconstructionists are pretty screwed up in thier thinking people would accept the changes they want. On the surface, a whole bunch of people pay it a lot of lip service, but in practice, NOBODY really wants their crap. It would be the Taliban. Thier laws are basicly the same as the OT law the reconstructionists jerk off to. The majority of evangelicals are total hypocrites on this count; it all sounds great and holy on the surface, but in practice I doubt 1% would tolerate it for very long (I guess it all depends on how quickly they brought it all in). Just as an example, wanting to abolish abortion is all good and fine until thier 12 year old daughter gets pregnant. My brother used to work at the abortion clinic in Waco TX, and he said a clear majority of people coming in admitted they were against abortion until it happenned to them; he even said that a pretty fair number of kids were being forced to have the abortion against thier wishes by thier parents.

This is probably the saddest thing about the evangelical variety of Christians; most don't even realize how hypocritical they are until something happens to them. The freedom of choice is most often wrong unless they are the ones being forced to choose.

Looking at history, Christianity never really works as a theocracy. Islam on the other hand have been able to keep countries under religious control for very long times, without any big changes or challenges. If this country became Christian, it wouldn't worry me so much, because the majority of Christians are not fundamentalists, only the minority are working to these goals. What I'm saying is that even if 70% are Christian, there's probably only 5% that actually wants this. I do think however that the country is becoming "Christianized", and some of the Christian ideas and beliefs established as laws. Like anitabortion laws, anti-homosexual laws, etc Maybe eve non-blasphemy laws. But a completely reformation of the system won't happen. There's just too many different kinds of people.

Hey,

What happened to the people that are against political correctness? I see three of ya up there!

>Runs like hell before Wolf bites her on the ass and then ducks before Nivek unloads his auto, and dodges so Eponymic can't nip at her heels!<

:-}

The government of the US has tried to govern morality in the past. Prohibition came about due to lobbying and protesting by the Women's Christian Temperance Movement. It taught us that trying to control morality was a miserable failure. It created more crime, instead of preventing it.

Taph

The government of the US has tried to govern morality in the past. Prohibition came about due to lobbying and protesting by the Women's Christian Temperance Movement. It taught us that trying to control morality was a miserable failure. It created more crime, instead of preventing it.

Taph

Just like the outlawing of drugs has. You think they would have learn.

I haven't read the Handmaid's Tale, but I've heard of it. Is it a good read?

This really is good if you like dystopic literature. I've read it many times.

Don't forget Taph, they DO govern morality in the US right now. It's called the FCC...

This entire thread outlines why Christians have no real basis to claim biblical law as the basis for the American legal system. Only 2 1/2 of the 10 commandments are actually against the law (perjury, a specific form of lying, is illegal, but lying in general is not).

Either way, if this did happen, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be getting my Heavy Metal magazines anymore... :(

:shrug:

Taph

Just like the outlawing of drugs has. You think they would have learn.

I agree fully with both of you, and with greasemonkey's post. They all point to the same thing; Xian moral laws are too hard to live up to. Not because they're too challenging for us poor sinful little dears, but because they are unreasonable. They allow for no flexibility and are simply aim too high for most people to accept. That, and they are simply unnatural and people won't accept them, anyway. People don't want their behavior legislated unless the health and/or safety of others is at stake. Otherwise, folks want to be left alone to live as they see fit. That's the crux of why laws based on Xian morality don't work.

Who cares if two guys or two girls want to get it on or get together? Doesn't hurt anyone. Or if some people want to get loaded or toasted - they're only hurting themselves, not anyone else (provided they don't drive when they're fried). Or if someone wants an abortion? You see where I'm going with this, but sadly, most lawmakers who are still under the spell of Xian morality and appeasing a cranky tribal god still don't see it.

But as long as they try to stick their noses into other people's lives, we'll be there to give them a good swat.

I agree fully with both of you, and with greasemonkey's post. They all point to the same thing; Xian moral laws are too hard to live up to. Not because they're too challenging for us poor sinful little dears, but because they are unreasonable. They allow for no flexibility and are simply aim too high for most people to accept. That, and they are simply unnatural and people won't accept them, anyway. People don't want their behavior legislated unless the health and/or safety of others is at stake. Otherwise, folks want to be left alone to live as they see fit. That's the crux of why laws based on Xian morality don't work.

Very true......after all, look how well Prohibition worked out!

If the bible became law, a lot of people in this country would be forced to smoke pot (per bible law) until they died from it.

If the bible became law, a lot of people in this country would be forced to smoke pot (per bible law) until they died from it.

Which Biblical law is that?

I can not see that happening because then you would have a war over which christian denomination would be ruler.. lol They all get along so well.. lol

The Bible used to be the law, it was called the Dark Ages.

Just remember...

"No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!"