Sign in to follow this  
Guest sylensikeelyoo

Open Invitation To Abortion Debate With A Pro-Lifer

Guest sylensikeelyoo

Topic: Abortion

Proposition: ABORTION SHOULD BE HIGHLY RESTRICTED AND HIGHLY REGULATED. ALL ABORTION CLINICS SHOULD BE SHUT DOWN AND THE FEW EXCEPTIONS SHOULD BE PERFORMED IN A HOSPITAL, OR WITH A PROPERLY LISCENCED PROVIDER.

I will argue the affirmative, as I am coming at it in a pro-life and humanitarian perspective. I personally believe that all human beings, regardless of their stage of development are "people" and deserve protection under the law to some degree. God and religion are not a factor in my reasoning behind my pro life stance.

I would like to challenge anyone who is pro-choice, who believes that Abortion should not be restricted under any circumstances whatsoever, and everyone needs to stay out of people's vaginas, goddammit! :)

Standard competition style format, as outlined in the pinned section.

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

I think that each and every case of abortion is subject to being situational. It is a very slippery slope when you give a governing body the rights to chose what you can and can not do. I say this from being in the medical field since 1992 and have seen real life experiences in the ER(ED) and all the complications that come along with a choice like this.

I have to get past the "should this be a government area or not" problem.

• Like 1

Guest sylensikeelyoo

I agree. In this debate, I intend to highlight what situations I think are acceptable for abortion, what is not, and why this will make things better. I will present evidence of why my premise is a strong one. I am highly against abortion, but I would like to highlight a model that will actually make them affordable, safe, and RARE, like the abortion lobby claims. As it is right now, I DONT think abortion is any of those things right now.

So who wants to argue with me?

I would hate to argue with you, thus far I have agreed with you 100%. In the short time I have been reading your posts, it is obvious that you are MUCH more intelligent than I, and I wouldn't choose to subject you to "having a battle of wits with an unarmed person." That said, yes I am pro-choice.

EyesOpened covered some of my misgivings about government-regulated abortion: the more power we cede to the government, the more they tend to abuse that power. I also concur that the subject hinges on the situation, and should never be used as a casual method of birth control. The main issue that worries me is that often regulation exacerbates the problem. Prohibition didn't stop people from imbibing alchohol, it only provided a foothold for the mafia to increase its influence. The war on drugs has been a losing battle, it has merely made drug lords (here in the US, Mexico and elsewhere) richer, and turned petty drug offenders into felons, thereby increasing our prison population to astronomical and untenable proportions. I even believe that stricter gun control laws would do more harm than good, and make criminals out of otherwise law-abiding citizens while school shootings would morph into bombings or arson. But I digress.

Has anyone here read about back-alley abortions? They were extremely rampant prior to Roe vs Wade, and utterly horrifying! It would often result in a dead unborn child and kill the mother, who were often seeking them only because they already had too many mouths to feed. In other cases, the attempted abortion would fail, and result in severe deformity or retardation.

Excuse my ramble. In closing, I believe that the best way to minimize abortion would be to make contraceptives readily available (even free, if need be) to all women, regardless of age. I look forward to hearing your take on the matter.

If I my throw in my 2 cents, I have a couple of nitpicky problems with your proposition and desired potential opponent.

ALL ABORTION CLINICS SHOULD BE SHUT DOWN

To my knowledge, there is nothing that should be labeled an "abortion clinic".  This is simply shorthand that is used to describe a location where abortions are performed.  If you are referring to things like Planned Parenthood, these are women's health facilties where the majority of what they do actually has nothing to to with abortion.  Abortion is simply one service that is provided there.  Shutting them down would have vastly greater consequences, especially among poor people, than simply restricting access to abortion services.

who believes that Abortion should not be restricted under any circumstances whatsoever

I could be wrong, but I think that you are going to have very hard time finding anyone that would take this position.

• Like 2

I would hate to argue with you, thus far I have agreed with you 100%. In the short time I have been reading your posts, it is obvious that you are MUCH more intelligent than I, and I wouldn't choose to subject you to "having a battle of wits with an unarmed person." That said, yes I am pro-choice.

EyesOpened covered some of my misgivings about government-regulated abortion: the more power we cede to the government, the more they tend to abuse that power. I also concur that the subject hinges on the situation, and should never be used as a casual method of birth control. The main issue that worries me is that often regulation exacerbates the problem. Prohibition didn't stop people from imbibing alchohol, it only provided a foothold for the mafia to increase its influence. The war on drugs has been a losing battle, it has merely made drug lords (here in the US, Mexico and elsewhere) richer, and turned petty drug offenders into felons, thereby increasing our prison population to astronomical and untenable proportions. I even believe that stricter gun control laws would do more harm than good, and make criminals out of otherwise law-abiding citizens while school shootings would morph into bombings or arson. But I digress.

Has anyone here read about back-alley abortions? They were extremely rampant prior to Roe vs Wade, and utterly horrifying! It would often result in a dead unborn child and kill the mother, who were often seeking them only because they already had too many mouths to feed. In other cases, the attempted abortion would fail, and result in severe deformity or retardation.

Excuse my ramble. In closing, I believe that the best way to minimize abortion would be to make contraceptives readily available (even free, if need be) to all women, regardless of age. I look forward to hearing your take on the matter.

About "back alley abortions", i use to see young ladies come into the ER hemorrhaging from their lady parts because of this. Some have actually died right there because they didn't make it in time to stop the bleeding and get them blood. Most of the time we got things under control. This seemed more common in girls from 13-16. You would be surprised how often this does occur. You see more of this in the major cities, downtown hospitals, but it happens at a lot of them.

Guest sylensikeelyoo

I do agree with all of you, that my premise is a little lopsided and I can probably write up a little article about it instead, as I feel that, given everyone's misgivings about my selected avenue, I may not get any challengers.

That said, I propose I change the premise of the debate, if our gracious moderator, Freethawt allows. I say we go ahead and do a standard abortion debate and change the premise to:

"IN MOST CASES, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF MEDICAL NECESSITY, ABORTION IS IMMORAL"

I'll argue the affirmative. If we do that, who would be willing to enter in with me?

• Like 1

Guest sylensikeelyoo

Accidentally did duplicate post. Damn thing won't let me delete it, so I'm changing the post to this. Yeah. Blahty blahty blah. I'm such a dumbass. :D

You still can't find an opponent?  I can step up.

Guest sylensikeelyoo

Yaaaayyyy mymistake thank you sweetie! Let's do it! So we are agreed that the new premise is

"IN MOST CASES, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF MEDICAL NECESSITY, ABORTION IS IMMORAL"

Me in the Affirmative and you in the Counter. Competition style, 1500 word limit in our opening statements, rebuttals, answers to questions, and closing statements. Now that we are agreed, we can have our moderator open us a new thread and get to it!! :D I'm excited to debate with you, my mistake, and good luck to you sweetie!!!