Goodbye Jesus

Does Anyone Ever Wish They Still Believed In God?

Mike D

As they say, it takes a weirdo to spot a weirdo.

Busted!

:lmao:

but I do love you guys....even if you're weird.

Then you must be weird, if you love us weirdos. :)

(And only weird people use bold-face text... hehe)

You mean only cool people use bold-face text!

As they say, it takes a weirdo to spot a weirdo.

Busted!

:P

I have had that happen a few times. A few years ago I lost my father and my mother has had a few close calls. Every once in a while I think about how in the end I will get old (or maybe not), get ignored by society, get sick, try to hang on, and eventually die. It definitely makes me evaluate what I am doing with my life, and contemplate the point of existence, and if there is anything other than this life. It's a pretty unsettling feeling and it can come on without a lot of warning. I also get the feeling that there needs to be more to life than working your ass off to accumulate junk that doesn't really matter, or working the best part of your life away so you can afford to waste away in a nursing home later.

Makes me wonder if there is a god or higher meaning to life, but it is really just a hope and not an honest conclusion.

Not cool, but it does pass...

Today for some reason I was feeling really emotional, which is very rare for me. It was a warm day and I was driving down some long lonesome deserted highway in the middle of nowhere where I could see a thousand miles in every direction (I live in the desert), with all the windows down and the warm wind blowing around me, watching the sun start to set in front of me, and there was some POD song on the radio in the background and I felt really good. It was one of those picture perfect moments in life that don't come along very often, like the ending of a really good movie where the hero drives off into the sunset to live happily ever after. But as I sat there enjoying the moment, for some reason my mood changed. I started thinking about my life, and and how hard I work so I can afford to buy all this expensive crap to make me feel good about myself, so I can look at others and think to myself "fuck you, I am better than you", and I got really pissed off. I got pissed off that this is all my life is, and in the end none of it matters, and I got pissed off that this is all there is, this shitty world, with all of its suffering and misery and death and in the end there is nothing. And then I just felt sad, and I felt like crying. And for a moment I found myself wishing I believed in God.

Maybe the circumstances were different, but has anyone else ever felt this way?

About 50% of the time at the moment

That is getting better, it was 90%, so I'm obviously moving in the right direction

The futility of life does tend to hit me and it's probably a good things I have so many responsibilities, or I'd probably have topped myself in despair earlier on in the process. But then I have a moment of pleasure and realise that while I'm here, I might just as well enjoy the ride. There may be no hope for an afterlife and no ultimate set goal to aim for, but there's always hope that life brings fun and pleasure and even a bit of joy to balance out the shitty bits and that by looking at the way I live my life I can get more of one side and less of the other.

From what I know of panic attacks, this was nothing like that. In what happened to me earlier I was perfectly calm, except just very sad. Just for today anyway,

Mike, the only similariity I meant to point out was how our emotions can change quickly, and sometimes the speed of that makes us think that there is something drastically important going on. I didn't do a very good job explaining it, jaded had better comments. But anyway. it sounds like your going to be fine. I don't want you to miss my point of having fun, though. That's what prevents that kind of despair. It works for me, and I've had enough low-points to make suicide very understandable, many times.