Goodbye Jesus

The Attitude Of Jesus

BuddhistCommunist

I noticed alot in my recent studies, that Jesus appears to be forgiving and generous. I noticed that it seems more sinister than this though. I read this verse that was compared to something the Buddha said in "Jesus and Buddha: the Parrallel sayings"

"And whoever will not recieve you nor hear your words, when you depart from that house or city, shake off the dust from your feet."

-Matthew 10:14

So its like turning the other cheek. Until I looked just one verse further....

"Assuredly, I say to you, it will be more tolerable for the land of Sodam and Gamorrah in the day of Judgement than for that city!"

-Matthew 10:15

SO much for turning the other cheek when it comes to non-believers, promising divine punishment for those that will not listen to his disciples.

"But whoever denies me before men, him I will also deny before my father who is in heaven."

Matthew 10:33

SO much for forgiveness! This is more of the attitude of the Columbine kids who killed people because they were picked on, not the testament of a "Perfect, Forgiving" being.

I await to hear the response for christians and Exers alike.

peace,

BC

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lycorth

• Ouroboros

• BuddhistCommunist

• Mythra

There is no evidence of this "Jesus" having ever existed, so apart from the Babble, we know nothing of him. And since the Babble is not written by Jesus but by observers, it's all hearsay, hence I cannot accept it.

I voted myth, of course.

Why do you think that the gospels weren't written until after the fall of Jerusalem?

The story had to wait until a large majority of the Jews were either dead or scattered to the four winds.

If they had tried to sell this story before then, people would have said, NOW WAIT JUST A FREAKIN MINUTE HERE. I WAS THERE. I NEVER SAW ANY OF THIS SHIT.

And, the story of Jesus would be just as well known to us as the story of Banus.

I put "not sure" because my belief about who Jesus was wasn't in the poll. I think the historical Jesus was a Jewish itinerant apocalyptic preacher about whom we know very little since the gospels are hardly reliable accounts.

Who the hell was Banus?

Banus was a spiritual teacher who Flavius Josephus followed for three years.

Either Jesus, or whoever made him up, was scizophrenic. Those are two TOTALLY different attitudes, it's hard to believe they came from the same person.

I'm gonna go with myth, they just don't make up god's like they used to...

The evidence comes up 'Myth' for me. The fact that there are striking similarities to earlier religious saviors, deities and concepts is not very convincing for Jesus to be real.

In the end, I don't really care. The bible is a silly, ridiculous book of fantasies and I don't believe any of it is true.

Yes - I voted myth as well, even if the whole Jesus parable was spawned off the archetype of a natural man. Too much is based on mythical parallels for it to be real. Unfortunately the book as a whole, including what Jesus stood for is morally reprehensible and embellished to such an extend that we will never know the truth. Best to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

What everyone else has said: Jesus is a myth, spawned

when traditional Judaism got jiggy with the pagan beliefs

of the Roman era. And, even if some historical personage

was the basis for this myth, the details of his life have

been so distorted and exaggerated in the Holey Babble

that they have now been lost.

What everyone else has said: Jesus is a myth, spawned

when traditional Judaism got jiggy with the pagan beliefs

of the Roman era.

I agree he is a myth. Jesus is the hebrew version of the pagan self sacrificing

saviour god that has had many names in many cultures around the globe since

at least ancient egypt.

I voted, hot dog. :mellow:

Makes sense - he wants us to eat his flesh, after all.

Hot dogs - the communion wafers of the 21st century.

I voted, hot dog. :mellow:

Makes sense - he wants us to eat his flesh, after all.

Hot dogs - the communion wafers of the 21st century.

Would that be the beef, turkey, or pork hot dog? Or is it the lowfat pork/turkey combo? Or beef, turkey, pork combo? :grin:

Hmm... good question. But I know Oscar Mayer won't be producing them - I don't think they would give a kosher approval to Jesus-flavored weiners :HaHa:

How about that cute little story where hungry Jesus gets pissed at a fig tree

Mark 11:13

Seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to find out if it had any fruit. When he reached it, he found nothing but leaves, because it was not the season for figs.

WTF??

Course you all know Jesus curses the tree and it withers........yeah. That's a stable personality. What kind of sick twisted ego expects fruit out of season and curses nature for not conforming to his wishes?

This guy had better just be myth, because I don't want to hang with someone like that.

You really need an "other" vote in there. :)

I waffled a bit between "Myth" and "Not sure"

I'm not sure he actually existed. If he did, he was most likely a wise man whose teachings have been blown to mythological proportions.

Therefore, I settled on "myth."

I'm not sure he actually existed. If he did, he was most likely a wise man whose teachings have been blown to mythological proportions.

I'm with Lilith on this one. I think he was a jewish (most likely Essene) teacher whose life and teachings were interpreted through a greek mythological structure and then expanded upon by an epileptic goof ball.

I picked "not sure"...

:shrug:

I’m going to say Wise Man…meaning I think a guy proclaiming to be Jesus, son of the Jewish god, existed but I don’t believe he really was a son of any god. I think he may have been just a moral, peace loving, hippie guy who gained a lot of attention and admiration from the religious folk.

As an archaeology buff, I'm fairly sure Jesus existed. However, I hate how his followers go on and on about what a "peaceful" and "loving" guy he was. Even some non-Christians praise Christ for being such a cool, merciful, loving dude. But I actually find he was far too keen on preaching about being thrown in the fires of Gehenna to be peaceful to any extent. Also, he seems to be rude to people a lot. Like a celebrity snob or something, only this time instead of trying to get autographs, people are trying to get healings:

Woman on road: Jesus, please, heal my daughter!

Jesus, walkin' with his homies: Aw, man! You gotta be fucking kidding me. Go home, bitch. I don't have time for this shit.

Woman on road: Please, Jesus? Please?

Jesus: I told you, bitch, I'm not doing it! Leave me alone!

Woman on road: Oh, pleeeeeeeeeeeease, Jesus?

Jesus: Dammit, fine, your daughter's cured. Now leave me the fuck alone, okay? I did what you wanted. Now fuck off.

I voted "not sure."

Based on scholarship, I think maybe someone named Jesus who was an itinerant "messiah" went around preaching to the masses existed or was possibly an amalgamation of many such "messiahs" However, I think of the Gospels like the old telephone game. You say something to one person than the next and the next until it gets mixed up with other things and becomes something quite different.

The other thing about the ancient world that is very unlike ours is that if they needed a quote they made it up. It's not that they lied, it's how things worked. Everyone in the ancient world understood this. We would think it's lying because we have journalist integrity. However, the ancients didn't see things that way.

Taph

Not sure here. Beneath all the myth, I'm pretty sure that there is indeed a person, not a metasyntactic identity at the center of the whole hubub. Then again there is 2000 years of crap...

As an archaeology buff, I'm fairly sure Jesus existed.

Whoa, whoa, whoa.......hold up right there.

If you have any archeological evidence of Jesus, spit it up right now. I've been begging for this from the xians for months now.

I voted myth, because the Jesus story that we can read in the Gospels are clearly to 99% made up. There might have been a person that was leading a gang of followers, and there could have been a person that did some magical tricks, and was teaching some fancy theological theories, and there were many called Jesus at that time, but I don't think that the person that is described in the Bible (ie son of God doing miracles) existed. Hence, the Bible Jesus is a myth.

perhaps he really was the son of Yahweh, but that would just make him a half-breed

How about that cute little story where hungry Jesus gets pissed at a fig tree

Mark 11:13

Seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to find out if it had any fruit. When he reached it, he found nothing but leaves, because it was not the season for figs.

WTF??

Course you all know Jesus curses the tree and it withers........yeah. That's a stable personality. What kind of sick twisted ego expects fruit out of season and curses nature for not conforming to his wishes?

This guy had better just be myth, because I don't want to hang with someone like that.

How funny..... when I frist saw the title of this thread, that was the very verse that I thought of to get an idea of his charactor. Sounds to me like he was a fry short of a happy meal or something....yet, we are/were ENCOURAGED to be like him. So I guess that means we are suppose to be ignorant, spoiled, childish (with a major problem with the "I WANTS") and are suppose to throw temper tantrums when we don't get our way, right?

OY!!! You are right, I agree with you totally..... don't want no freak around me like that!!!! lol

How funny..... when I frist saw the title of this thread, that was the very verse that I thought of to get an idea of his charactor. Sounds to me like he was a fry short of a happy meal or something....yet, we are/were ENCOURAGED to be like him. So I guess that means we are suppose to be ignorant, spoiled, childish (with a major problem with the "I WANTS") and are suppose to throw temper tantrums when we don't get our way, right?

OY!!! You are right, I agree with you totally..... don't want no freak around me like that!!!! lol

It's the truth, in the end. We hear all about how Jesus is love and all that crap, then we are told things like this and actually expected to treasure it as the sacred word of Gawd.

When you examine it, the so-called "godly" virtues do indeed seem to be selfishness, childishness, violence, abusiveness, and ignorance. When Xians come at you and keep on harping on how we all should be more "god-like", throwing a verse or two out about these traits of their god at them could be good for a laugh.