Goodbye Jesus

...to Become A Believer?

ironhorse

What would be required to persuade you to become a believer?

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

A physical visitation from a god.

Literally nothing else is acceptable.

• Like 2

What would it take for you to disbelieve?

In Christianity?  Jesus would have to show up and let me stick my fingers through the holes in his hands/wrists.  Jesus did that for Thomas (in the story) so it shouldn't be too much trouble for an all powerful God to do it for everyone else as well.  But an imaginary God would never do that.

• Like 1

Become a believer in what?

All of the above posted suggestions. Even then we would still have to figure out who it is. Is it the Christian God, Zeus, Odin? The all powerful being would have to introduce himself to be sure who it is.

See IH, that is another problem with Christianity. Even if a being showed up and made himself known Christians would just ASSUME it was the BIBLE GOD. The being could even just be a life form from a planet where they are 5000 feet tall and not a divine being at all.

Please define "believer", as well as "believe" and "belief".

Next, please identify what it is that I am asked to believe in your question.  Be specific.

I'd be willing to at least consider the question if (just what occurs to me spontaneously):

- the doctrine/writings of the cult would not be internally inconsistent and contradictory at every few letters

- the ones who most and loudest demand that I believe would show by their demeanor that they actually believe themselves

- good, strong, objective evidence for the existence of a Divine power that must be the one of that cult could and would be presented

Good luck with that.

• Like 1

Diddo

Diddo

Do you mean "ditto," as in "Me, too"?

If so, is your current belief based on a physical visitation?

Diddo

Do you mean "ditto," as in "Me, too"?

If so, is your current belief based on a physical visitation?

At first, I thought it said dildo.

Ha-ha!

Then I thought, 'depending on the size, that could make a believer out of anyone!'

Just evidence. Nothing more.

Fwee beat me to it. Evidence.

An honest, detailed and in-depth presentation from you of the physical evidence in the universe that persuades you to be a believer, Ironhorse.

Your presentation should include faithfully and honestly cited data, evidence and material, not culled from Christian sites, but from neutral and agnostic ones.

(The reason for this being that if your 'evidence' requires a special form of faith-based interpretation, then it is automatically invalid.)

These are my terms (which you asked for by asking me what would be required to persuade me to become a believer) and they are not negotiable!

Therefore, I won't be answering any questions of yours about my terms.

Present your evidence according to my terms.

BAA.

• Super Moderator

We WERE believers once. Many of us believed for decades. We were preachers, teachers, Biblical scholars, missionaries and tithing church goers. Despite what most current Christian visitors to this site think, we are not a bunch of ignorant, rebellious heathens who left the religion for fun; it was a painful realization that it was all a load of meadow muffins all along.

We know what it takes to believe. Do you know what it takes to leave? It's not easy, but it becomes necessary once you learn enough and start to think rather than seek the comfort of make believe.

If we had enough actual evidence we would know, we wouldn't have to believe. Do you believe the Earth revolves around the Sun, or do you know it? What would it take for you to believe in Santa, Allah, or Zeus? Even if I knew that there was a "god" who intends to send billions of his children to a place of eternal punishment, I still wouldn't worship such a "god". I would tell him to kiss my ass. I would never go back to Christianity under any circumstances.

Either empirical evidence of a logical argument which I find utterly convincing. I'm afraid I can't be more specific than that, save to say that either would have to be very conclusive. But surely if God wants me to believe, He'll think of something. I'm told that all things are possible with Him.

Ditto Astreja! Why would we have to go on this thing called Faith with the fucking creator of the whole world? If 'he' can make everything else in the universe 'seen' - why can't he make 'himself' seen? Why would 'he' want us to guess?

Evidence... and maybe texts that actually correspond with reality and aren't a blatant rip-off of earlier religions, oh, and evidence.

A personal visit like Thomas got would do it, maybe - though I have a million questions that need to be answered first - I could be delusional, or maybe..idk, ALIENS! lol.

If this proven 'god' is the malicious tribal wanker described in the Bible I may believe, but that doesn't mean I'd worship it.

• Like 1

Haven't you asked this question before, tinpony?

I'd have to have a direct communication from God. See God. And not be hallucinating.

• Like 1

I was a believer once, when I was young and before I knew what I know now.  But I always had questions because so many things just didn't make sense.

So I guess to become a believer again, I would have to have a personal visit from god, and everything that it told me would have to make sense.  So the god would have to let me question it, and let me bring it here on this site and let others question it, too, until I felt comfortable that everything it was saying was true.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

A lobotomy.

I really have no interest in becoming a believer in Christ again. I prefer some kind of pantheism and/or Zen.

• Like 1

Nothing can be done to make me a believer. You will have to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that your god is absolutely and irrefutably real. In which case, belief won't be a factor, knowledge will be available.

But nothing at all will make me worship it, besides maybe narcotic fueled brainwashing or something equally fucked up.

• Like 3

Guest sylensikeelyoo

yeah everyone else beat me to it. I actually used to be a believe in God. Lack of evidence changed my mind. So, if i were presented with sufficient evidence, I would believe again. HOWEVER, even if I was presented with sufficient evidence to prove that God does, in fact, exist, I can't see ever being christian again. If the same god of the Christians, Jews and Muslims is THE GOD and everything they wrote about him is true, he is evil and unworthy of my worship or respect.

• Like 3