Goodbye Jesus

Exploded...

Ellinas

I work.

I'm out of the house from c.07:30 to c. 18:30 every weekday.  I know some work longer.  But it's still enough.  And I resent Mrs E's church claiming my free time.

So, tonight, I refused to accompany her to listen to a report by some pious nutjob missionary.

But I did agree to pick her up afterwards (she doesn't drive). We even agreed that I'd arrive 10 minutes after the meeting was due to end, to give her time to have a chat.

And what happens?

I'm sat there for 30 odd minutes waiting because the pious arsehole missionary doesn't have the decency to shut up on time.  The meeting finished 40 minutes late.

So I was less than agreeable when she finally appeared.  Apparently swearing about the time I've wasted and refusing to accept that the solution would have been to have accompanied her is not the sort of reaction she would like.

Well, too f***ing bad.  Next time she will be taking her mobile to let me know once the pompous holiness has decided to deign to allow people to leave the building and resume their normal lives.

• Like 2

Yes. If I'm picking you up, it's okay for you to wait while I get there. I'm the one doing a favor; it is not my job to wait for you. Let me know when you are done, and I will head out then, and you can wait for me. Too bad about swearing though. Maybe a calmer tone?

It's frustrating when your loved ones are brainwashed and you have to watch them devote time and money to scam artists.  Then you are the bad guy if watching this happen doesn't make you happy.  I especially love missionaries who expect everyone else to pay for their vacation.  My old pastor wasn't satisfied with jus taking our money and time.  He had to also tell my wife that our marriage was doomed.  I'm so glad that she doesn't attend that church anymore.

Perhaps she should get a driver's license.

• Like 1

What a windbag!  The missionary went 40 minutes over the allotted time?  One thing that I have noticed about pastor-type people (and I include missionaries in there) is that they loooove to talk and looove to hear themselves talk.

I would have had the same reaction as you, Elinas.

My old pastor wasn't satisfied with jus taking our money and time.  He had to also tell my wife that our marriage was doomed.  I'm so glad that she doesn't attend that church anymore.

That's despicable.

Not surprised you got annoyed.

I don't get why she didn't just take her phone and message you *anyway* why is that a big deal for her?

And really, does she not have any friends to drive her to these places? 

Yeah. "Text/call me when you want me to come" is often the best approach in these situations.

I get that some people can't drive for medical reasons or whatever, but I think that your wife should take her cell phone and leave when the thing is scheduled to be over, or as others have said, text you when it's done and you can show up. It's nice of you to be doing that when you're not emotionally involved in her church. Wait, does she know you de-converted? What else do you do in there?

I cannot count the number of times in my religious youth some nut job windbag ran WAY over on Sunday mornings. It was sort of understood you'd shut the hell up at noon- some cases they went until 12:30. Very few attendees had the balls to get up and leave. 

That is so annoying, Stamps. Our service was supposed to be over at 11:30 - after the sermon, there was a hymn - and the preaching itself would extend sometimes 20 minutes or so longer. The one in Ellinas's story was worse, but I have little patience for types like that: I want to go home and have lunch, not sit in the sweltering hole any longer.

• Super Moderator

If someone is to pick me up at some appointed time, I AM THERE AND READY regardless. They are doing me a favor and it's just common courtesy. I see no excuse to keep someone waiting, barring extreme illness or death. Sorry, I'd just have to get up on my hind legs and put an end to this foolishness once and for all.

Next time just show up an hour late so she has plenty of time to just stand around and wait.

mwc

• Like 1

Yes. If I'm picking you up, it's okay for you to wait while I get there. I'm the one doing a favor; it is not my job to wait for you. Let me know when you are done, and I will head out then, and you can wait for me. Too bad about swearing though. Maybe a calmer tone?

Although it was quite some time ago, something similar has happened before.  The calm approach clearly was ineffective.  Sometimes you have to bear your teeth and snarl

Not surprised you got annoyed.

I don't get why she didn't just take her phone and message you *anyway* why is that a big deal for her?

And really, does she not have any friends to drive her to these places? 

It's not a big deal for her - we're of an age and generation where having a mobile to hand is not automatic.  In fairness to her, she simply did not think to take it.  Neither did I think to suggest it before she went.  But I now think she'll remember next time

I get that some people can't drive for medical reasons or whatever, but I think that your wife should take her cell phone and leave when the thing is scheduled to be over, or as others have said, text you when it's done and you can show up. It's nice of you to be doing that when you're not emotionally involved in her church. Wait, does she know you de-converted? What else do you do in there?

I turn up on a weekend and sit in sullen silence.  She knows my heart is no longer in it - but I get the impression she doesn't want to know anything beyond that.  I've taken the decision to let things develop in her time.

Perhaps she should get a driver's license.

She's in the latter half of her 6th decade - it's not going to happen.