Goodbye Jesus

I'm Being Openly Atheist In My Work And Life

SerenelyBlue

I don't know if this is good for me or not, but I am openly giving my opinions and views in life, even though they are atheistic in nature. I call myself a apatheist to whomever asks, but I practically remain agnostic atheist too.

I am no longer afraid of not being liked because of my materialist and atheist views. I don't know if this is a good thing. I've let my defenses down. I'm openly my unique self. It is liberating.

• Like 5

Cool!  Your results will probably reflect on the environment and culture where you live.  Everybody should be allowed to live honestly without having to fear harassment.

Cool! Your results will probably reflect on the environment and culture where you live. Everybody should be allowed to live honestly without having to fear harassment.

Thank you, so far it seems that no one has ostracized me.

The other morning a bunch of us from work went to breakfast and a buddy of mine who knows I'm an atheist asked me to say grace. He did it to be funny. And I laughed...

Right before I folded my hands, closed my eyes and said, "Oh, god, I'm going to fuck this food up!"

Everybody laughed and I was made aware of another atheist at the table. Pretty sweet little bit of coming out I have to say.

I sometimes forget that some people work in environments where their income or career could be threatened by lack of belief in Jesus. I work for a science company, and there people would probably be ostracized if they possessed any evangelical Christian leanings. We have a few cultural Christians in the workplace, and that's it. I hope your honesty is well received or at least tolerared by your coworkers.

I think this is great. I really feel for those of you who live in communities and work in places where being openly atheist could cause you real problems rather than just the odd look of shock and disapproval.

I am fortunate to live in a place where your beliefs are pretty insignificant.

I found people more accepting in my workplace and were willing to ask questions some said it gave them the strength to tell people they too are atheists

I don't know if this is good for me or not, but I am openly giving my opinions and views in life, even though they are atheistic in nature. I call myself a apatheist to whomever asks, but I practically remain agnostic atheist too.

I am no longer afraid of not being liked because of my materialist and atheist views. I don't know if this is a good thing. I've let my defenses down. I'm openly my unique self. It is liberating.

Of course it's good for you.  Whether it will be good for your employment prospects is another matter.  But for you - to be yourself is about the best position you can have.

Hope this goes well for you.

I have worked for ten years in the accounting department of a huge mutual fund company in New Hampshire. The topic of religion never comes up at all. I know that New Hampshire ranks near the bottom of church attendance in the nation so I suppose that has something to do with it. I have never heard of anyone mentioning what faith they are or what church they go to so I suppose religion to most here is just a big…Meh..Whatever. I love it.

Outside of work the only people I know who go to a church are several of my gay male friends. “Oh you really should come. This church is really gay affirming.” I have let them know that I have no desire to go and that I don’t hold their belief, but part of me just wants to scream! “What’s The Matter With You!”

I've been pretty open about it with most of my colleagues. I was pleasantly surprised that no one treats me any differently than before. I've even had several deep and respectful discussions with people and a few have told me privately that they don't believe either but still go to church because of their wives. My boss is a huge bible thumper and I guard myself around him. He may have heard through the grapevine but I think it's possible he would hold it against me if he knew. He's a cancer survivor and gives all the credit to God. Fuck doctors and nurses and the advanced treatments that he went through.

I like to think I've had a little influence on one of my friends. He divorced two years ago and began dating. He abstained and talked about how hard it was. I frequently told him that it's ok to have sex. He now lives with his girlfriend, even though they go to church on Sunday's.

I think it's important that we're open about our lack of faith as it shows them that we're no different. My morals are as strong as any of theirs.