Goodbye Jesus

Why Do We Call God God?

Mythra

Man, in retrospect my post came across as quite smug ^^

I tend to get carried away with etymology, it's a nerd-thing I guess.

Biblegod's proper name is Mr. Yahweh Elohim, "Yahweh from the assembly of El." But you're not supposed to say his name out loud, so ridiculously, Jews substituted the name of another god, Adonai (Adonis). Europeans eventually substituted "Lord" as a translation of "Adonai." 

Egyptians called him "Iao," which may have been nomina sacra for "Ialdabaoth," which is Aramaic for "Child of Chaos." 

Child of Chaos? That doesn't sound promising!

Dahwali :-)

"God" is simply one out of many germanic words for "Deity". It is not a biblical name, but a title, and a direct translation from greek "theo" and latin "deus", which in turn were translations from generic semitic words for deities. 

rjn:  Nice explanation! Seriously.  If your post was written from the top of your head, you're a man of hidden talents.

But my point is still the same.  The word god, when capitalized, means MY God.  The christian god.  The only real one.  

Hey how many of you know that Joshua and Jesus are the same name in hebrew?

Joshua of Nazareth.  has a ring to it.  Kind of like Emmanuel Christ. 

Mythra: Yeah, pulled that stuff out of my ass, Wouldn't call it a talent though, history and linguistics (especially historical, comparative and anthropological linguistics) is just something I'm interested in, and there are probably a few mistakes in there.

Regarding Joshua/Jesus, yeah, I've heard of it, but isn't big J's true name Yeshua? Maybe it's just a tad different, whether one uses hebrew or aramaic.

EDIT: I just realised "pulling something out of ones ass" indicates bullshitting, which ofc is not what I meant. What was I thinking? XD

Like so many things in the US, God is an acronym:

Guns

Oil

Drugs.

Casey

• Like 1

i hate it when im on FB or something, and I see a picture that says something like "Click like and share if you believe in god!" And I'm like..."um, which god?" and i read the comments on the picture and people say "Praise Jesus amen" "Yahweh is the one true god"

It really bothers me because Christians tend to live in this box where they only focus on their god and kinda brush away those who believe in other gods. they assume when people say "god" they are referring to theirs. 

Some Christian worship songs bother me, and they even bothered me when I was a believer. Saying that God's fame is the highest, and that everyone will bow down to him, and how great he is, etc. You can tell it's just another brainwashing mechanism. They convince you that your god is the only real one, so you fall into the trap of evangelism and repeatedly coming to church because you've learned that Jesus is the one and only. It reels in more church members and establishes regular weekly church attendance. these people believe if they lose faith then they're going to hell. it's mental abuse in disguise of a loving savior.

A loving god wouldnt allow you to be tortured forever if you believe in a different god(s), or none at all. I refuse to believing that bullshit again. Most of "gods people" wouldnt be being brainwashed and mislead in church, on top of doing fucked up things because of the bible. Example: the salem witch trials, they justified their twisted actions by quoting the verses in the bible that speak against witchcraft and sorcery.

• Like 1

Some Christian worship songs bother me, and they even bothered me when I was a believer. Saying that God's fame is the highest, and that everyone will bow down to him, and how great he is, etc. You can tell it's just another brainwashing mechanism. 

You mean songs like this one? woohoo.gif

When He rolls up His sleeves

He ain't just putting on the ritz

Our God is an awesome God

There's thunder in His footsteps

And lightning in His fists

The Lord wasn't joking

When He kicked 'em out of Eden

And it wasn't for no reason

That He shed His blood

His return is very close

So you better be believing that

Chorus:

He reigns from Heaven above

With wisdom power and love

I think that might be the only christian song that includes the lyrics "puttin' on the Ritz"

Reminds me of the movie Young Frankenstein. tongue.png