Goodbye Jesus

Racism, By Ayn Rand

nightflight

NF, incredibly (to me) I remember reading this article in the original Objectivist Newsletter, to which I subscribed at that time.

There's much of what she has to say that still rings true to me, but there's also, I think, a kind of studied over-rationalization -- the result of her political philosophy -- regarding some policies which ought to arrive out of just thinking about the decent thing to do.

I moved away from Objectivism as I began to conclude that no philosophy can be as flawlessly integrated as she claimed hers was, and that, as error-prone thinkers, we humans should try always to err on the side of doing too much for the undeserving.

See, I am not a Randian, I'm not an Objectivist. But I agree with much of Ayn Rand's philosophy. That was the point I was making by posting. What led me to this was some of the rhetoric surrounding Corretta Scott King in the last few days. There are some voices who say that you cannot admire the woman if your politics are different; its all or nothing. I think that is ridiculous.

See, I am not a Randian, I'm not an Objectivist. But I agree with much of Ayn Rand's philosophy. That was the point I was making by posting. What led me to this was some of the rhetoric surrounding Corretta Scott King in the last few days. There are some voices who say that you cannot admire the woman if your politics are different; its all or nothing. I think that is ridiculous.

I don't really know that much about Ayn Rand. I read about objectivism in a book that debunked some cults and wierd beliefs. I just thought it was an interesting read. I posted the links because they made similar arguments as the book I read. Sorry, I didn't mean to accuse you of anything. I just thought it made for interesting discussion.

I don't really know that much about Ayn Rand. I read about objectivism in a book that debunked some cults and wierd beliefs. I just thought it was an interesting read. I posted the links because they made similar arguments as the book I read. Sorry, I didn't mean to accuse you of anything. I just thought it made for interesting discussion.

Its alright. I should've made myself clear; sloppy posting on my part.

I understand what prompted your starting your thread, NF, and I agree with the point you make.

It's kinda why I say that it's counter-productive for some of us to pigeonhole ourselves in the political Left or Right.

I've never read anything else by Ayn Rand that I've found to be particularly sound--at least, nothing that you couldn't find in other thinkers in ways that I found to be better articulated. She doesn't really count as a philosopher; I don't know of any philosophers who take her seriously. I sure don't.

So... yeah. I didn't read the link.

Your friendly neighborhood philosophy major

HadouKen24