Goodbye Jesus

Top 10 Reasons Christianity Is So Nasty

Castiel233

1- It's god claims to be good, yet his actions are overwhelming evil, causing immense suffering in good people on Earth as they try and square this very cruel circle

2-Salvation is the number one role purpose for the human soul, the bible is not 100 percent clear on how to achieve it.

3- The Bible tells us to trust god and have faith in him, yet also says he is the author of evil, sends strong delusions so that people will believe lies, speaks in parables as so not to have to save people and it pleases god to drive people insane.

4-It sells you the disease(sin), which it claims infects your soul, both of which are invisible. It then has the gall to sell you the "cure" (also invisible) 

5- The Bible commands you to kill your own children for being disobedient.

6-Rape and slavery and not just fine and dandy to Yahweh, they are actually punishments meted out by our heavenly "father" if we piss him off

7-Getting saved by the one thing threatening you is about as wicked as it comes. This is rape 101, consent to sex or get raped anyway

8-God tells the Pharaoh to "let his people go", then overrides the Pharaohs free will , so that he cannot obey, and then kills all the first born Egyptians to punish the Pharaoh......for something he couldn't help

9-You can never ever be sure you have the right theology, no matter what you do. If you are born into a baptist family , yet only Lutherans get the winning ticket, you are doomed to an eternity of hell-fire, because you have the slightly wrong theology...through no fault of your own, and you are not even aware you are in the wrong to boot

10-Let alone the Bible is filled with violence and contradictions, its central doctrine , that 99.99 percent of humans are doomed to hell, makes its a gospel of damnation and the sad tidings of bad news. God it would seem created us (without our permission) and intends for us to be burnt forever, for not being to his liking, despite him being the one who made us.

• Like 5

you summed it all up very well. i agree there is no way i could go back to being a christian again, after everything i learned about the bible and christianity. it still blows my mind how so many christians/former christians, including myself, have not read the whole bible, but yet they claim it is the holy word of god. i read matthew, mark, john, but didn't get to luke. i read many NT letters, and only a few OT books. I never actually sat and read through books like Leviticus and Deuteronomy because i was afraid it was going to raise doubts about the god i believed in.

now that i have left the faith, i can read those books and be amused and, at the same time, disgusted at how people can justify the cruel actions of God in these stories.

where is the verse that commands you to kill your children?

Guest Furball

1- It's god claims to be good, yet his actions are overwhelming evil, causing immense suffering in good people on Earth as they try and square this very cruel circle

2-Salvation is the number one role purpose for the human soul, the bible is not 100 percent clear on how to achieve it.

3- The Bible tells us to trust god and have faith in him, yet also says he is the author of evil, sends strong delusions so that people will believe lies, speaks in parables as so not to have to save people and it pleases god to drive people insane.

4-It sells you the disease(sin), which it claims infects your soul, both of which are invisible. It then has the gall to sell you the "cure" (also invisible) 

5- The Bible commands you to kill your own children for being disobedient.

6-Rape and slavery and not just find and dandy to Yahweh, they are actually punishments meted out by our heavenly "father" if we piss him off

7-Getting saved by the one thing threatening you is about as wicked as it comes. This is rape 101, consent to sex or get raped anyway

8-God tells the Pharaoh to "let his people go", then overrides the Pharaohs free will , so that he cannot obey, and then kills all the first born Egyptians to punish the Pharaoh......for something he couldn't help

9-You can never ever be sure you have the right theology, no matter what you do. If you are born into a baptist family , yet only Lutherans get the winning ticket, you are doomed to an eternity of hell-fire, because you have the slightly wrong theology...through no fault of your own, and you are not even aware you are in the wrong to boot

10-Let alone the Bible is filled with violence and contradictions, its central doctrine , that 99.99 percent of humans are doomed to hell, makes its a gospel of damnation and the sad tidings of bad news. God it would seem created us (without our permission) and intends for us to be burnt forever, for not being to his liking, despite him being the one who made us.

It is a rigged game. You're guaranteed to lose. 

• Like 1

"yet only Lutherans get the winning ticket"

Former Lutheran here. We were subtle about it, but yes, that's the gist of it.

Nice post, although I would like to add my own thoughts on 1) and 10)

God's "actions" are of course non-existent. His utter inaction is to me evidence of his non-existence, or evidence for him not being concerned with his creation.

I think Christianity central doctrine is that belief in Jesus will save you, not that 99.99% will go to hell.  Again  can think of no actual evidence for this apart from dubious letters in the bible.

I think Christianity central doctrine is that belief in Jesus will save you, not that 99.99% will go to hell. 

To add......

I'd say the central doctrine, is that Jesus will save you from Jesus as long as you accept that Jesus is your invisible master as well as His own dad 

I think Christianity central doctrine is that belief in Jesus will save you, not that 99.99% will go to hell. 

To add......

I'd say the central doctrine, is that Jesus will save you from Jesus as long as you accept that Jesus is your invisible master as well as His own dad 

wait wait...

jesus will save you from Jesus? i thought the central doctrine is that jesus will save you from this world of sin as long as you accept that Jesus is your invisible master as well as His own dad?

am i mistaken?

• 3 weeks later...

To add......

wait wait...

jesus will save you from Jesus? i thought the central doctrine is that jesus will save you from this world of sin as long as you accept that Jesus is your invisible master as well as His own dad?

am i mistaken?

Yes. We are saved from the wrath of God. It is his wrath that sends us to hell, right? and it is the sacrifice of Jesus that saves us from hell. So God's sacrifice saves us from god's wrath. I have an online pastor friend who actually wrote this one time...that the blood of Jesus provides us the only shelter from the righteous eternal wrath that god will pour out through all eternity over all of those who fail to receive Christ. 

shudder...

I no longer follow that one on FB. I also unfollowed the guy who posted (in a different venue) that babies of families who are not in the covenant, who die in infancy, go to hell. He posted about what the punishment would be like for such a one. Can you even believe it? That''s what the doctrine of original sin does. An infant human is born full of sin, thus deserving of eternal damnation. ugh.

Yes. We are saved from the wrath of God. It is his wrath that sends us to hell, right? and it is the sacrifice of Jesus that saves us from hell. So God's sacrifice saves us from god's wrath. I have an online pastor friend who actually wrote this one time...that the blood of Jesus provides us the only shelter from the righteous eternal wrath that god will pour out through all eternity over all of those who fail to receive Christ. 

shudder...

I no longer follow that one on FB. I also unfollowed the guy who posted (in a different venue) that babies of families who are not in the covenant, who die in infancy, go to hell. He posted about what the punishment would be like for such a one. Can you even believe it? That''s what the doctrine of original sin does. An infant human is born full of sin, thus deserving of eternal damnation. ugh.

Yes, the thought of an infant's soul being sent to hell is incomprehensible. I think another problem with this viewpoint is what happened to free will? An infant that dies was never self-aware as a human. So when did the infant make a free will decision to not believe in Jesus?

shudder...

Yes, the thought of an infant's soul being sent to hell is incomprehensible. I think another problem with this viewpoint is what happened to free will? An infant that dies was never self-aware as a human. So when did the infant make a free will decision to not believe in Jesus?

That's just it...in this line of thinking, free will is so damaged by the Fall that human beings are incapable of choosing God, so He does all the choosing. That's what is meant by "the elect" (those whom God chooses to be with him in eternity) and by "foreknowledge" (God knows his people from before the dawn of time...e.g. before the creation of anything, and before the Fall, God has already chosen who will be his.) It is not of man's will, but God's. THAT is almost a direct quote (don't ask me the exact passage, but it is there.)

Yeah...that's Calvinism in a nutshell. God knows and foreordains who is in AS WELL AS who is out, and an infant who is the child of a non-Xtian household is NOT IN.

That's just it...in this line of thinking, free will is so damaged by the Fall that human beings are incapable of choosing God, so He does all the choosing. That's what is meant by "the elect" (those whom God chooses to be with him in eternity) and by "foreknowledge" (God knows his people from before the dawn of time...e.g. before the creation of anything, and before the Fall, God has already chosen who will be his.) It is not of man's will, but God's. THAT is almost a direct quote (don't ask me the exact passage, but it is there.)

Yeah...that's Calvinism in a nutshell. God knows and foreordains who is in AS WELL AS who is out, and an infant who is the child of a non-Xtian household is NOT IN.

Yes, the doctrine of the elect. I think Jehovah's Witnesses may also believe in the election of 144,000 souls, based on a literal reading of Revelations 7. An infant's soul gets sent to eternal damnation... That is a messed-up system right there.