Goodbye Jesus

Do Any Of You Still Pray?

mick

I always prayed and meditated on "God" not Jesus ever since my younger day.

Like christians I thought I had a relationship with God, and yes I still pray to this unknown "God".

Whether it is self delusion, i don't know, but definately benefits my mind.

Can I ask why you pray? If this man in the clouds is omniscient, then what can we possible tell him that he doesn't already know?

I always prayed and meditated on "God" not Jesus ever since my younger day.

Like christians I thought I had a relationship with God, and yes I still pray to this unknown "God".

Whether it is self delusion, i don't know, but definately benefits my mind.

Can I ask why you pray? If this man in the clouds is omniscient, then what can we possible tell him that he doesn't already know?

When did I ever claim that the God that I pray to is "omniscient? I kind of believe in a the Pantheism system of God.

I guess prayer is more of a self changing thing and the ability to reclaim my inner strength.

I truly believe in the saying "God help those, who help themselves". I have always lived my life, by giving it the best I can, and the rest I leave to circumstances beyond my control. In a way I worship "chaos", I suppose, in the hope that it works in my favour.

In short, I really don't know what I am praying to, but it has worked out in my life for quite some time.

PS:A lot of my praying comes in the form of meditation.

As ex-Christians do any of you ever still pray, talk to Jesus even years later, wonder if you are wrong and still ask him forgiveness or even mercy. I am sincerely asking/wondering.

For this question I have a pretty much standard reply: Praying to a deity(s) is like asking Santa for presents. No, I have absolutley no reason to ask any one of the millions of gods or goddesses that man has invented for anything. Would you ask Thor to keep the thunder down if you're trying to sleep? Sounds silly, right? Well, that's how your question strikes me. It's as if you, plain out, asked me if I still have an imaginary friend. No, I don't.

What you're describing, though, I have a name for. I call it residual programming. Even after you stop believing these little bits of programming lie domrant waiting for some situation to activate them. They fade away with time, but in the mean time what you can do is replace said god with any manner of god or goddess. Then laugh and think to yourself how silly it all it is and move on.

A doctrine of the faith that I have always believed is eternal security, once purchased by Christ nothing can separate you from Him and salvation, even yourself. If you have ever been saved then you still are now years later after your "de-conversion".

Purchased? Christ, according to Christian mythology, was forced by his evil Daddy into a tortorous death -- even after he begged for mercy! And for what? So his Daddy could forgive people? Does this strike you as totally ass backwards and completely retarded? Let me give an example. Say someone raped my wife. Now, instead of going after the person who did this to my wife, as a sane and rational person would, I decide to take out my frustration on my son. Yeah, instead of seeking real justice I take my son and send him off to be executed! Pretty nutty, huh?

Saved? No, I was never "saved." I was saved, however, from the sheep's life. Besides, according to Christian mythology (see: Hebrews 6: 4-6), once you leave the death cult, that's it. It doesn't matter if you're "saved." Also, in Matthew 12:31 it states, "Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men." Now, obviously I've done this many times before, but Fuck the Holy Ghost! There we go. Guaranteed Hell! Wooooo hoooo! Mansion by the Lake of Fire! Ah yeah! See you at the Luau!

I am just wondering about these things. This is new for me, and unfortunately is a secert buried only in my own heart. My wife is devout and will never renounce her faith, ever. My young children are in process for a life of this as well. (Once I had children that became old enough to ask questions of me, is when i really began to realize I do not believe much of it. I blame much of it for my fears and anxities, and it upsets me to think if CHristianity is false, what it will do to my children.

That quite a defeatist attitude. Why don't you try speaking to her about what exactly has you convinced that it's all false? Living a lie is torturous. Don't do it to yourself. Be honest and work through it. See what happens. It might actually be positive!

When I met my wife we were both Atheists. In fact, it was this type of person I was actively searching out. I had gone out with Christian girls and it just never worked. I knew what I needed and I went out and found it. Now we're an unstoppable team with two great unbelieving children!

Not to repeat song lyrics but "I'm sorry, I don't pray that way".

And forgiveness is overrated. You do wrong, you make up for it the best you can, you move on.

:shrug:

And forgiveness is overrated. You do wrong, you make up for it the best you can, you move on.

What song might that be from?

Maybe "Tainted Love" by Soft Cell.

Speaking of song lyrics related to praying, I would compare any "prayer" of mine

to the song "Prayer" by Disturbed. Usually after a few beers.

Maybe "Tainted Love" by Soft Cell.

Bingo. :grin: