Goodbye Jesus

Comparing Hell In The Ot & Nt

Lautermilich

Growing up as a fundy, I was taught as many only very select parts of the OT so it would make it seem that the NT fit it perfectly. Doing some research on my own has shown me that is cleary not the case.

Are there any OT references to hell where people will be tortured as in the NT or are all the references simply to being dead?

I guess it wasn't necessary to instill fear in people until it came time to convert the pagans.....

nope... no real reference. what we know as "hell" is mainly based on revelation and by the works of milton.

also interesting is satan. it never says in the OT that satan is the devil. just in the NT, which we all know we cant trust in the first place.

[whatever was in there is all propaganda. you can asks the jews... theyll go off on the subject matter. funny how fundies seem to never question why the jews, "God's choosen people," dont believe in the NT or JC]

but as i was saying... just like it never says the snake in the garden was satan either. fundies quote revelation 20:2 "And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years," to say that he was the snake in the garden. first off, nowhere in the NT does it say directly that satan was a "dragon, that old serpent." second, look at the context in which it was written. it just said he was a dragon... of course calling him a serpent next refers to him being a serpent.... not a snake.

but anyway....... i know the question is of hell, but usually we think of satan when we think of hell so sorry if i went off on a tangent.