Goodbye Jesus

Why I Am Not A Feminist

Daffodil

Damn good stuff, and 100 % true. See also Athena Brown's great blog on the topic.

Now lean back and watch how our resident 3rd wavers will:

1. claim the gal in the video is bought by The Patriarchy™ to spread Lies™

2. viciously attack me, and any other dude who says the vid tells the truth, of at best having no clue about feminism (remember that thing from the video?) and at worst - and most likely - of being a sexist manpig like 100 % of the other men

3. your own opinion, clearly stated by your embedding that video, will be totally ignored. Because in the sick 3rd waver worldview, men are always vile perpetrators, women who agree with them are all victims, but women critizing them make them go "DOES NOT COMPUTE" and thus they will ignore their entire existence.

Hey we've seen it countless times didn't we?

Of course, if our 3rd wavers should prove me wrong this time... well I sure wouldn't be sad about it. Actually I'd wish to see them come to their senses. Oh well. :shrug:

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

The very word 'feminism' implies female. It's clearly about furthering the causes that benefit women exclusively, otherwise it would be called 'humanism.'

Feminism starts with the assumption that the majority of our population, women, somehow do not get a fair shake. They don't explain why a majority who holds positions of power in society as lawmakers, judges, governors, doctors, police, lawyers, etc. are letting themselves take a back seat. They also don't offer support for their axiomatic position that men are better off than women. They can't explain why so many women, whom they claim to represent, want nothing to do with the feminist movement.

I think the women's movement, like the men's movement, is more about boredom and the need to make waves than anything else.

https://youtu.be/nmzH9MHKC7s

Apparently I am a sucker for punishment, but thoughts?

Anti-feminism is everywhere, and it's wrongheaded and based on stereotypical misconceptions and ignorance of feminist history.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator
Anti-feminism is everywhere, and it's wrongheaded and based on stereotypical misconceptions and ignorance of feminist history.

So one can't have another view without being wrongheaded and ignorant?

One can always trust the 3rd wavers... note how Orbit immediately jumps in to confirm my prediction #2. Stay tuned for more... firedevil.giflmao_99.gif

Oh by the way...

"Antifeminism is based on cluelessness!!!" - says the 3rd waver.

"Atheists have no clue what they're talking about!!!" - says the morontheist.

See a parallel there?

I'm not so much opposed to (3rd wave, I guess) feminism as I'm opposed to certain ideas often associated with it, such as intersectionality, gender theory and so on. Many of these ideas DO have some merit, but most of the time it seems to me like they're pushed to the extreme and we get a situation where those who endorse those ideas seem to be at war with reality itself.

Oh, and let's not forget the unholy alliance between people who call themselves "feminists" (quite rabidly so at that) and ultra-conservative fucktards who happen to belong to a minority (="victims"), like islamists. Think this is some made up bullshit by whiny conservative, white males? Learn my language and read our news for the past two weeks. It really is a thing.

Then again, there are several kinds of "feminisms", it's just that the word has become conflated with certain views that dominate the debate today. What about Camille Paglia, for instance?

I don't know what I am. I actually posted this same video on my fb a while back, and it did not get positive results...

Anyway, I think that once you give an ideology a term, it can get twisted to mean something else. 

So I would say I am not comfortable with calling myself a feminist. 

That does not mean that I refuse to acknowledge the wonderful strides made by brave men and women who happen to identify/identified as feminists. The merit of an action is not improved or lessened based on what flag is stamped upon it.

Some people who identify as feminist make the world a little more unpleasant, some make it a little more pleasant, and their actions are certainly not governed by what they choose to call themselves. So regardless of what I call myself, I will treat every person I meet with respect and dignity. And if any feminist has no issue with my actions and ideas and still chooses to think lesser of me over a quibble about an antiquated word, so be it.

FEMINISM is a word. It has never, and can never, accomplish anything. People, feminist, and otherwise, have accomplished these things.

• Like 4

Funny.

Orbit seems to have been hiatus for some time from here. UNTIL something dealing with her favorite stick upside her ass is applied.

THEN she returns with the slight broadside that as usual falls short. 

Interesting,

kFL

As the infamous Wage Gap™ now got mentioned...

...yes there is one. But your standard 3rd waver stops right after this statement, never going on to the reasons. If not even claiming directly that this is all due to the evil evil Patriarchy™.

Studies taking a look at the reasons quite consistently show that the gap is due to women working in jobs that generally get paid less (for both genders) and tend to do less hours in those jobs. If you correct the data regarding these influences, the wage gap becomes surprisingly small all of a sudden.

In other words, women choose to do different work from men. The real question is, is that how they want it, or are they forced into making these different choices? If they do get forced, that's a problem there alright... but it's a very different problem compared to what the 3rd wavers want you to think.

I never see any 3rd waver even try to talk about the reasons for the gap, not even when she pointed to a study coming to just that conclusion as "proof" of her claims. Over time, I can't help but wonder whether this is just a coincidence or whether, you know, they do that to manipulate... very very strange no?... :scratch:

And yes Kev, very strange to see how Orbit pops back up in the forums right at this very moment no? It's almost as if she's really just here to, you know, not discuss things reasonably but just to take any chance to rant against us Evil Manpigs™... :P

You know, as little sympathy as I have for high paid actors and actresses, I did find it fascinating that Gillian Anderson was offered half the amount David Ducovny was to do the reboot of The X-Files. Scully was never a secondary character in the original series - the show never would have lasted without the chemistry between those two. The producers used the excuse that they were going by their original contract percentages or something. I was genuinely surprised by that.

I do think there are issues with family planning that come into pay gaps and promotions in the rest of the world. Do women not get promotions as much because they take time out to have children? Do they sacrifice their careers to have children, or are they held back because of the expectation they will have children? I read a comment on another site awhile back in which the female employer said she would not promote family men because they wouldn't be as invested in the company as a single man would be! Wow!

I pretty much agree with everything the woman said in the video. I don't think she even mentioned the inequality in the armed forces. If women want to be equal, they need to accept all the responsibilities of equality, not just the perks. I am personally aware of a couple of female soldiers that got pregnant so they wouldn't get deployed. WTH!? Men can't get out of deployment like that! If you sign up for a job, then do the damn job! The court system should look at parents as two parents, not as a mom and a dad. Which one would be the better custodial parent - the one with boobs isn't automatically better! As far as I can tell, we have achieved equality of opportunity, unless you include the so-called glass ceiling.

• Like 2

(...) sources?

Much of this should be general knowledge already. The often touted meme is simply false propaganda: to say that in comparison to men's earnings, "women earn 77/82 cents per dollar for the same job" is simply not true.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_pay_gap_in_the_United_States

The female-to-male earnings ratio of 0.82 means that, in 2013, the average female FTYR worker earned 18% less than the average male FTYR worker. The statistic does not take into account differences in experience, skill, occupation, education or hours worked, as long as it qualifies as full-time work.

(^emphasis above mine)

Economist June O'Neill, former director of the Congressional Budget Office, found an unexplained pay gap of 8% after controlling for experience, education, and number of years on the job. Furthermore, O'Neill found that among young people who have never had a child, women's earnings approach 98 percent of men's

(^emphasis above mine) Above is just one example of a study that does some controlling of the various variables. There are more in the wikipedia article.

Much of this really should be obvious, given that discriminating by gender this way is illegal.

Even if it for some reason were acceptable, only women would be hired in many jobs in order to cut costs.

Can you please provide your sources? smile.png

That's a good boy, asking the right questions wink.png

I've run into several such cases, on facebook, on German alternative news websites, and such. But as resource to use against the 3rd waver crap I do think Athena's blog which I linked above already is pretty much the best resource you need.

For your convenience, here's the Linky again :)

Then I'm afraid I'd have to dig for quite some time to find my other sources, plus those tend to be in German and thus may be of... limited use for you. But we'll see :)

• Super Moderator
I did find it fascinating that Gillian Anderson was offered half the amount David Ducovny was

I imagine David was initially offered less than he settled for in the end. It's called negotiation. Since the original show, David has continued a successful and visible career, but the public hasn't heard a peep from Gillian until this X-Files rehash came along for her. The original show focused on Mulder as the main character from the start. It is he who has the quest, it is he who chases down leads, it is he who deals directly with the government conspirators. While the role of Scully is crucial to many of the plot lines and Muder's own character development, she remains the Tonto to his Lone Ranger. I can envision an X-Files without her, but not without him.

Couldn't challenge that even if I tried ;)

I did find it fascinating that Gillian Anderson was offered half the amount David Ducovny was

I imagine David was initially offered less than he settled for in the end. It's called negotiation. Since the original show, David has continued a successful and visible career, but the public hasn't heard a peep from Gillian until this X-Files rehash came along for her. The original show focused on Mulder as the main character from the start. It is he who has the quest, it is he who chases down leads, it is he who deals directly with the government conspirators. While the role of Scully is crucial to many of the plot lines and Muder's own character development, she remains the Tonto to his Lone Ranger. I can envision an X-Files without her, but not without him.
Why not just reboot the series using two females as leads. And we can have a black female play Mulder (she can be presented as the original's sister), and replace Scully with either a Hispanic or Arab which can either be the original's sister or even a cousin. Oh! And the two of them just HAVE to be romantically involved with each other! And then, they can each be bisexuals and have those side relationships with an Asian and, once more, either a Hispanic or Arab. But, they'd have to be the opposite of whatever was decided on for Scully.

Simple enough.

Oh! And one of them has to be very aggressive and show dominant traits while the other is completely opposite. I say we make Scully the dom. Should make things interesting during each episode's trademark belief-or-fact argument.

• Super Moderator

Why not just reboot the series using two females as leads. And we can have a black female play Mulder (she can be presented as the original's sister), and replace Scully with either a Hispanic or Arab which can either be the original's sister or even a cousin. Oh! And the two of them just HAVE to be romantically involved with each other! And then, they can each be bisexuals and have those side relationships with an Asian and, once more, either a Hispanic or Arab. But, they'd have to be the opposite of whatever was decided on for Scully.

Simple enough.

Oh! And one of them has to be very aggressive and show dominant traits while the other is completely opposite. I say we make Scully the dom. Should make things interesting during each episode's trademark belief-or-fact argument.

Excellent solution, but you left something out. They need to find a role for the transgender water head kid in the wheelchair. Couldn't hurt if he/she was a midget, too. And Samoan.