Goodbye Jesus

Have You Gone So Far As Commit The Unpardonable Sin?

SerenelyBlue

I would never cut good Scotch with water or anything else, so no, I haven't committed that sin.

Casey

A tiny amount of water enhances the taste. It is known.

• Like 1

I never understood what the unpardonable sin was. And anyway, simply not believing is unpardonable - you go to hell for eternity - so why would there be a special "unpardonable sin"?

I guess it means that even if you change your mind, it doesn't matter: you're basically fucked. So God can forgive ANYTHING but thinking/saying a blasphemous statement regarding the Holy Ghost/attributing to the devil/whatever. EVEN genocide! 

People with OCD (like myself) have had a lot of fun with that particular piece of scripture through the ages! Thanks for designing nervous systems and brains with too much adrenaline and cortisol, Gawd! biggrin.png

I think that looking at blasphemy against the holy spirit as an unforgivable sin also causes other problems from a historical perspective. Many of today's Christians are literate and can at least read the Bible for themselves to learn about this sin. But for the majority of Christian history, that has not been the case. Jesus would have verbally pronounced the unforgivable sin during his lifetime (~30-33 BCE). But it was never written down until the gospels, and back then, someone needed to physically have a copy of a gospel and know how to read. The references I've seen put the literacy rate in the Roman empire at maybe 10%. So if you were a convert to Christianity back then, you most probably needed someone to verbally tell you about this sin and that it cannot be forgiven. And that gets extrapolated for centuries, until at least the invention of the printing press in the 1400s and beyond before you can even get to a point where a common person is literate and could get a physical copy of the bible in a language that he or she could read. So were all the Christians from the time of Jesus until the modern era verbally told about this sin by the priests or whomever they heard the scriptures from? There could be millions of Christians who died without knowing anything about this sin.

readyforchange, indeed. The modern literalist position of protestant fundies implies that the vast majority of Christians who ever lived are in fact awaiting judgement, since they couldn't read and thus missed out on HUGE portions of Scripture. The average medieval farmer most likely just knew a few psalms and verses by heart. Religion was a way of living your everyday life, and rituals were more important than beliefs. They probably knew more about local (often blatantly pagan, or pagan in origin) folklore than Old Testament stuff.

Guest Furball

no. I have also not blasphemed Charlie Brown or Spider-Man.

Then it's not to late to re-commit your life to charlie brown or spider man! Repent and believe the comics!

readyforchange, indeed. The modern literalist position of protestant fundies implies that the vast majority of Christians who ever lived are in fact awaiting judgement, since they couldn't read and thus missed out on HUGE portions of Scripture. The average medieval farmer most likely just knew a few psalms and verses by heart. Religion was a way of living your everyday life, and rituals were more important than beliefs. They probably knew more about local (often blatantly pagan, or pagan in origin) folklore than Old Testament stuff.

Yes, indeed. Also brings to mind just how stark the differences are in Christian religious beliefs and knowledge, based on one's geographical location and era of history lived in. That medieval farmer with only a tiny amount of scripture knowledge is saved by God and gets eternal life in heaven. But take that same medieval farmer and place him instead within today's society, he may become an atheist after reading the Bible more closely and being exposed to Biblical scholarship and textual criticism, and thus is not saved but rather condemned by God. Go figure...

I cursed the holy trinity on a daily basis with words that are not printable. Seem a good therapy for decades of betrays, time waste that I never get back.  My feeling is mixed, I very much felt that heavy and dark Biblical condemnation that I doom myself to the other side of heaven.

The unpardoble sin. Cursing the Holy Spirit. When I was still a Christian and God's inaction caused me great pain I actually swore at God's spirit. So I guess I am damned beyond damned.

But since becoming an unbeliever I didn't really see a point in cursing at an entity that may not even exist. God became irrelevant.

What are your experiences and views?

Yep I'm living in spitual blasphemy, since my view of love is opposite to jesus and the God of the Bible. Frankly I can't wait till I go to judgment day, both the good and bad will be read and I'll take heaven offline for ever.

"The Christian God is a crazy-ass psycho who is genocidal and astronomically insecure one second (Old Testament) and loving and gracious the next (New Testament)."

There you go.  I've "cursed" the Holy Spirit.  Oh, and the fact that I've "cursed" the Holy Spirit is irrelevant given that I don't believe the "Holy Spirit" exists.

Anyhow...on a more serious note, most evangelists I spoke to back in the day considered non-belief to be the unpardonable sin.  But yeah...in a way, this entire topic could be considered null for that very purpose of non belief.

Hope this makes sense and that it helped. :-D

Andrew

No, I have never knowingly "blaspbemed the holy spirit. I never knew what that meant.

In recent times I've come to understand the "holy spirit" as a "pure and blameless mental disposition, so that whole idea is irrelevant to me.

http://live-anew.com/node/288

Stephen

• 2 weeks later...

Techinical answer: The definition of the unpardonable sin is debatable. You would have to study the Greek and Hebrew to find out exactly what it means.

Heartfelt answer: I have left God and committed the unpardonable sin (no sympathy necessary).

Techinical answer: The definition of the unpardonable sin is debatable. You would have to study the Greek and Hebrew to find out exactly what it means.

Heartfelt answer: I have left God and committed the unpardonable sin (no sympathy necessary).

The NT was written in Greek--no Hebrew necessary.  In context it was about attributing the works of Jesus in the fictional narrative to Satan, so it wasn't about "leaving God," though, if that helps you, "fuck you, God!"  Ultimately, it's all completely untenable bullshit. 

I rolled a joint with a page of the bible before setting the rest of it on fire if that counts.

For the record, I don't recommend using bible pages (or any book page for that matter, save perhaps Snoop Dogg's Rolling Words) to as any sort of cigarette wrapper.  Not out of respect, mind you, but because that ink they use is most certainly not meant for inhalation, and I dunno what the gold edging on some bibles is made of but I'm pretty sure it aged my lungs by ten years.

• Like 2

Oh, oh, I did! I did! For some time before I did, though, I was in contact with an "entity". It made it kind of interesting, praying to god and then carry out a conversation with "it". At one point I could'nt help but say,"YOU are the holy spirit!" Gads, bad I felt, hell, here I come! Well, after being shown where to look in the "bible", they became little more than "butt paper" at that point, and cursed the holy spirit to his own "hell" for a week. I did it that in case 1st Kings 18 applied to "god" too, as he must have been asleep or on the toilet, because I never got a reply. Spiritually, I'm a "Free Spirit". rolleyes.gif

• 2 weeks later...

The unpardoble sin. Cursing the Holy Spirit.

I have cursed the Holy Spirit, but I feel like maybe now I need to dabble in the occult, do some black magic or something like that in order to REALLY burn the last bridge and show I'm not afraid of the existence of the supernatural; but I am too scared LOL.

I have cursed the Holy Spirit, but I feel like maybe now I need to dabble in the occult, do some black magic or something like that in order to REALLY burn the last bridge and show I'm not afraid of the existence of the supernatural; but I am too scared LOL.

Stick with Hermeticism or the Cabala and you'll be fine. However, I'm not recommending it. There are just too many pitfalls.

Have you seen the documentary movie "The God Who Wasn't There"? You should get hold of it and watch it, very relevant to this question and a great great film.

- hilarious.

It's irrelevant whether anyone commits the unpardonable sin or not if they don't believe it anymore.

It's irrelevant whether anyone commits the unpardonable sin or not if they don't believe it anymore.

True, but some people still have lingering doubts/fears, especially those with mental issues like OCD, bipolar disorder and so on.

Hi rjn and Lilith666

I invited TrueScotsman to commit the unpardonable sin. Then he cursed me out. Did you know that there are Christian Atheists?

Stick with Hermeticism or the Cabala and you'll be fine. However, I'm not recommending it. There are just too many pitfalls.

I have a friend who was raised catholic but doesn't go to church, he did some black magic to get vengeance on someone and since then he sees demonic creatures hovering over his bed. I want to do the black magic myself just to show him he's just hallucinating things, but I'm scared I might start seeing things too.

Hi rjn and Lilith666

I invited TrueScotsman to commit the unpardonable sin. Then he cursed me out. Did you know that there are Christian Atheists?

I'm not even sure we've reached an agreement on WHAT the "unpardonable sin" really is. Denying the holy spirit? Cursing it?

Edit: To be fair, TS might just start to feel a bit fed up with your constant claims that he's an in-the-closet Christian. Personally, I don't really see any point in denying the holy spirit if you're an atheist, nor abstaining from it either. For a convinced atheist, it would be totally meaningless.

To answer the original post, no, I haven't. I've said God doesn't exist. I've said Jesus existed but he wasn't God. I have still never said that I denied the Holy Spirit or cursed it in any way.

There are so many superstitions I was raised with, like not saying you were sick if you were sick, because that would just be confirming it to the 'Enemy'. Not saying anything negative for fear that it would give permission to evil spirits to have free reign in your life. Stuff like that. I had a small car accident one January, and it was the third January in a row that I'd had a small car accident. When I said to my dad, 'this always happens in January!' he turned around and rebuked me for saying it because that would make it come true in future.

I was always raised with the belief that words have power, and I still can't shake part of it. Since I recovered fairly well from Christianity over the past couple of years (though with some anger or sadness flareups here and there) I don't think I ever will shake some predisposition to superstition. Maybe not about words giving permission to evil spirits--but that's small compared to never being allowed to enter Heaven again even if for some reason I change my mind and believe again. This is one case in which I think Pascal's Wager kind of applies.

• 4 weeks later...

hehe...no way man...I stick to the not so serious stuff like killing and raping - all that's totally forgivable.  Makes perfect sense

Dropped the Jesus Effing Christ bomb on my Assemblies of God mother. (Not at her, but in her presence) She was very forgiving being that I was 28. I traumatised myself with that release of godlessness, considering I never cursed.