Goodbye Jesus

How I Escaped Christianity (Original Post Over Simplified #1)

quinntar

It took about six years and I lost my whole family in the process, but it was worth it. The beginning of the end started with one question.

(I can't choose to love Jesus without a coercion, and I realized my choice was made for me.)

Frankly that pissed me off, and a six year journey into recovery began. But their God don't let go so easily, you just can't reason with brainwashed monkey's Lol. So I gave up trying to convince other Christians I was free from their cult, and I grew stronger.

But it wasn't that easy, facing the concept of hell almost drove me back into the church for good. The only way I got out of that mess was to accept I've done everything to love and follow Jesus, but to what end.

Yeah they'll torture each other to stay on the straight and narrow, yeah who's really in hell? Once I realized that the ball of yarn unraveled completely.

Welcome to the forum.

The only way I got out of that mess was to accept I've done everything to love and follow Jesus, but to what end.

That's the biggest thing that keeps me from going back, if for some reason my rational side feels weaker than my emotional one and I somehow forget the Bible is a horrible book, etc. 

I'd like to hear more about your story, but it's up to you to share as much as you're comfortable with. 

Yeah they'll torture each other to stay on the straight and narrow, yeah who's really in hell?  

Indeed.

It took about six years and I lost my whole family in the process, but it was worth it. The beginning of the end started with one question.

(I can't choose to love Jesus without a coercion, and I realized my choice was made for me.)

Frankly that pissed me off, and a six year journey into recovery began. But their God don't let go so easily, you just can't reason with brainwashed monkey's Lol. So I gave up trying to convince other Christians I was free from their cult, and I grew stronger.

But it wasn't that easy, facing the concept of hell almost drove me back into the church for good. The only way I got out of that mess was to accept I've done everything to love and follow Jesus, but to what end.

Yeah they'll torture each other to stay on the straight and narrow, yeah who's really in hell? Once I realized that the ball of yarn unraveled completely.

Welcome to the family!

Welcome to the forum.

The only way I got out of that mess was to accept I've done everything to love and follow Jesus, but to what end.

That's the biggest thing that keeps me from going back, if for some reason my rational side feels weaker than my emotional one and I somehow forget the Bible is a horrible book, etc.

I'd like to hear more about your story, but it's up to you to share as much as you're comfortable with.

Yeah they'll torture each other to stay on the straight and narrow, yeah who's really in hell?

Indeed.
It's weird, through my de-conversion my old ways of thinking was died. I became a new person, which is what Christianity promised. But I had to turn from Christ to get there, my whole family thought I was crazy at first. So I decided if I was going to give up on the truth I had I'd put as much as what I know about the bible to the test.

It failed the human test time after time, but I learned more about what being human was through the whole experience. Who I am now barely remembers my other self, but I get these eccos (Old memories) as if there is still a residual trace left over.

Welcome to the family!
Consider me one of the smurfs.

Hey mate, welcome on board. I'm a new member myself, and a neighbour just over the ditch. Good on you for recognising the lie.

Hey mate, welcome on board. I'm a new member myself, and a neighbour just over the ditch. Good on you for recognising the lie.

You too.

So there I was about 6 years ago and I had gotten to the point that something didn't add up. It was the complete lack of evidence of what I was supposed to be in Christ, and I've worked it every which way.

Where's the proof in my faith, I should be able to turn water to wine. Well if I'm a Christian I should be able to do what he did by now. That's another thing, why is every Christian I meet miracle challenged.

I'm thinking with so many Christians following God why is the world such a mess, is it because of religion the worlds a mess? So I decided to look at the other side of the argument.

At first I felt sick, like I was doing something wrong. But a little voice kept saying "Keep going, there are answers." Soon that sick feeling passed and I could learn unbiasedly.

And it became fun to, lots of information out there I could sink your teeth into. Everything became open to me, and I stopped worrying WWJS (What would Jesus say) Well since he loves me all so much I'm sure he'd love me to test all things.

It's what the bible says isn't?

So there I was about 6 years ago and I had gotten to the point that something didn't add up. It was the complete lack of evidence of what I was supposed to be in Christ, and I've worked it every which way.

Where's the proof in my faith, I should be able to turn water to wine. Well if I'm a Christian I should be able to do what he did by now. That's another thing, why is every Christian I meet miracle challenged.

I'm thinking with so many Christians following God why is the world such a mess, is it because of religion the worlds a mess? So I decided to look at the other side of the argument.

At first I felt sick, like I was doing something wrong. But a little voice kept saying "Keep going, there are answers." Soon that sick feeling passed and I could learn unbiasedly.

And it became fun to, lots of information out there I could sink your teeth into. Everything became open to me, and I stopped worrying WWJS (What would Jesus say) Well since he loves me all so much I'm sure he'd love me to test all things.

It's what the bible says isn't?

yes, that sick scared feeling, I experienced something very much like you describe when I started gathering the courage to really research and learn unbiasedly instead of pushing it to the back of my mind. that is an excellent description. It is SO much fun, to learn voraciously, especially with the internet, the world is your oyster. as far as testing all things, there is a quote by thomas jefferson that I very much like, even though I don't believe in a god: "Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blind-folded fear."

Welcome to the forum.

Indeed.
I plumb forgot to answer you, sorry.

Yes the bible is a horrible book written by people who had a horrible outlook on life.

Except revelations, that's a book that warms your heart.

I think you might find it helpful to read religious historians like Dr. Bart Ehrman to strengthen your conclusions. I was a Christian for 47 years but for me to let go I had to have proof the Bible simply isn't true either literally or historically. Dr. Ehrman, among many others, provided the evidence I was searching for.

Congratulations for your new found freedom.

I think you might find it helpful to read religious historians like Dr. Bart Ehrman to strengthen your conclusions. I was a Christian for 47 years but for me to let go I had to have proof the Bible simply isn't true either literally or historically. Dr. Ehrman, among many others, provided the evidence I was searching for.

Congratulations for your new found freedom.

Well, I still read the bible (When I need too) It's interesting that with freedom you can enjoy everything that's on offer, without the fear. I need to read the bible to keep up to date about the current mentality of a hell of alot people, people who can effect my freedom.

I think the hardest part for me was being excommunicated from the whole church and my family as well. I had to rely on the non christian community when I left, there was not a lot to go around but I didn't end up starving.

You just never know how dependant you become when you sign your life away to a Christian church family.

Continued

Growing up in a greek orthodox enviroment, Jesus was the centre of my families moral system. My parents love was the only truth, and in their eyes I'd never reach that love.

I lived all my life thinking the way I loved others was second rate, and Jesus don't like second rate love.

After many years of mentally abusing myself with their love, I imploded and found myself looking at what I had become. I did not like what I was seeing, so I decided to change my views.

In the begining nothing changed, I'm asking Jesus the right questions but I'm not moving. That in itself tipped me off, then I started moving foward.