Goodbye Jesus

Between A Rock And A Hard Place

Travellingfemme

Thanks once again to you amazing people.

Just wondering if any of you have been helped by anti depressants? I've resisted them until now, but am wondering if they would help. I know it's hard to comment as everyone is different.

Hi!

I have been using anti-depressants little over 9 years now and my experiences of them are positive. I have had the opportunity for a intensive therapy only for a year or so, and the medication helped me through all those years with occasional therapy. First, when doctors gave me the description, I wasn't sure if I'm gonna buy those drugs because I had the same fear that I'm not going to feel anything (though, being depressed makes you fell numb too). But the lady in pharmacy told me that the new kind medications that is on the market, are very different than the old ones (the ones that were invented 30+ years ago and which mostly made you feeling numb). The anti-depressants nowadays (SSRI drugs) are made to block the hormone called serotonin going back to wherever it came and that should make the serotonin levels higher than usually a person with depression has. Hope you get a right medication for you!

I encourage you to give it a try. :)

p.s. I'm not a pharmacist or doctor or something like that. I've just done some 'googling' over these years. :)

Thanks once again to you amazing people.

Just wondering if any of you have been helped by anti depressants? I've resisted them until now, but am wondering if they would help. I know it's hard to comment as everyone is different.

I've definitely been helped by them. They take away my unbearable, overwhelming feelings of sadness/anxiety, and I get what is hiding underneath, which is still a lot. However my initial problem was feeling too much, not numbness...and the harmful intensity still has a risk of coming back if I go without meds (I did for a while), but yes, they have been a great help.

• 2 weeks later...

So 2 days ago I said yes to the antidepressants and I feel an overwhelming sense of failure. Like I've committed the worst sin ever, worse than sex or drugs or anything like that.

Like I'm dysfunctional and hiding a dirty secret from everyone.

I felt I had no other choice and things have gotten so bad, but I feel like the self flagelation is even worse now. I feel like I should have been able to get over this and fix myself and move on.

Why do I want to move on and feel good and calm and free but something holds me back?

So 2 days ago I said yes to the antidepressants and I feel an overwhelming sense of failure. Like I've committed the worst sin ever, worse than sex or drugs or anything like that.

I felt I had no other choice and things have gotten so bad, but I feel like the self flagelation is even worse now. I feel like I should have been able to get over this and fix myself and move on.

Why do I want to move on and feel good and calm and free but something holds me back?

It's goodness that holds people back, trying to maintain positive mental coherence will eventually end in negative attractors.

It's completely normal with anti-depressants that you feel worse before you feel better. Give it a couple weeks at least, and please contact your doctor asap if you get impulses to hurt yourself.

It's no more a failure than getting a cast on a broken limb is. (hugs)