Goodbye Jesus

Waiting Your Turn To Get On Elevators!

Curtdude

Okay, why oh why do people insist on getting onto the elevator BEFORE those who are already in it are trying to get off the damned thing? These dorks actually have to block the door of those attempting to exit so they can get on, but then maneuver around while the rest of us thinking, coherent individuals are trying to squeeze past them just to get out. :49:

Wouldn't it make more sense to allow those who need to get out to do so FIRST so there's actual room in the elevator car? The same three people in my building do this all the time and I actually won't ride w/ them in the elevator because if the thing breaks down, I don't want to be stuck w/ them or depend on them to act w/ a modicum of common sense.

I mean, please. We all deal w/ thoughtless, careless, aggressive jerks every day of the week, but this seems just so on purpose selfish and pushy.

All right, rant finished. Blood pressure down. But geez...gimme a break.

I understand - inconsiderate morons who can't wait five seconds for the others to get off before they squeeze their fat asses on.

My solution - when you get in your next elevator, don't turn around. Press the button for your floor as you enter, then remain facing away from the door, just like when you came in. Stand right there in the middle like that - and watch everyone slowly shy away from you.

I do the courteous thing to do and let people out before I get in cos I need space for my wheelchair.

The same three people in my building do this all the time

Confront them...

Speaking of elevator etiquette, you know what I like to do? Stand right next to someone, even if we are the only two in it. And look at them. People want to look at the numbers over the door, or at the floor. They don't want to look at you, and they don't want you looking at them. Who made these rules up? I don't like them! If I want to stand right next to you and look at you and sing the freakin' Smurf theme song, I'm by golly gonna do it.

But I let the people getting off get off before I get on. That justs makes sense. :shrug:

Next time some middle aged dude stands next to you looking at you and singing the Smurf song, you'll know it's me. Unless it just catches on or something.

Hunh. I had to do a study on elevator etiquette for my cultural anthropology class, and that required me standing in an elevator and riding it for 15 minutes straight.

Never did I see anyone not wait for others to get off before they got on. ...Then again, it wasn't really a high traffic time, so there usually wasn't someone getting off when someone else was getting on...

But I don't think I ever really encounter that problem. (shrugs)

:lmao:

Curt you will get no sympathy from me. :HaHa: Just try riding the St. Petersburg metro once. After you get taken out by a rush of babushkas trying to get in as you are trying to get out you will have a renewed appreciation for the modicum of patience that I've observed most American's still have. Russian grandmothers have the least amount of patience of any set of human beings I've observed. Perhaps they had to learn to be aggressive standing in the meat lines during the Soviet rule. :shrug: On the other hand, even the roughest looking Russian will stand up and give his/her seat to the young and the old on the trains. They just have different rules of etiquette I guess.

By contrast, I can't recall once seeing anyone rush the doors of the DC metro in the 4 years I lived there. Oh, except for the tourists.

Ok don't all pile up on me at once, but I do this all the time. :woopsie:

Not on purpose, I just don't even think about the people getting out. I'm straining to remember what floor I parked on, whether I have the cash on me to pay, etc. Sometimes I just stare at the floor while I'm waiting and am not thinking about a single thing.

*Doors open*

If I realize people are getting out before I step in, I back away. Sometimes getting out of the elevator to that people can get past me just adds to the confusion so, I shrink in the corner until we're up to my floor.

BTW, Ro-bear. Standing next to someone and starring at them is seen as kind of agressive, that's why people are bothered by it. Although the smirf song would break the tension.

Curt you will get no sympathy from me. :HaHa: Just try riding the St. Petersburg metro once. After you get taken out by a rush of babushkas trying to get in as you are trying to get out you will have a renewed appreciation for the modicum of patience that I've observed most American's still have. Russian grandmothers have the least amount of patience of any set of human beings I've observed. Perhaps they had to learn to be aggressive standing in the meat lines during the Soviet rule. :shrug: On the other hand, even the roughest looking Russian will stand up and give his/her seat to the young and the old on the trains. They just have different rules of etiquette I guess.

By contrast, I can't recall once seeing anyone rush the doors of the DC metro in the 4 years I lived there. Oh, except for the tourists.

Ah, the Ruskie's have more in common with the people of my mother land than I thought. Polski's are a very pushy people. When I'm standing in line at the deli some of the old ladies has the fuckin nerve to push their knuckles (not hard) into my back when the line moves up if I don't IMMEDIATELY step up. It doesn't even bother me, I've had to deal with this my whole life.

I was downtown with my mother a while back and we were in a crowd of the upper-crust Americi. My mother just plowed right through the crowd while all the other people were patiently waiting for the crowd to move up. This blond chick turned around, completely astonished, and said to a guy next to her "she's pushing me, I can't believe the nerve of some people."

:funny:

I love my people.

curt, just forcefully walk out the door, they don't realise your not going to make room for them so when your shoulder smacks into them they'll get out of your way.

curt, just forcefully walk out the door, they don't realise your not going to make room for them so when your shoulder smacks into them they'll get out of your way.

Agreed!

just forcefully walk out the door, they don't realise your not going to make room for them so when your shoulder smacks into them they'll get out of your way.

I may be getting grumpy in my old age, but that's what I do. If you can't wait your turn to let people off the elevator before you get on I reckon you've earned a little jostling. :wicked:

Y'know what really weirds people out on elevators?

Standing there facing the other way.

Wow...never really noticed it that much in the states. Here in China, it's the standard operating proceudre, on the elevator, metro, bus, every door in every building....

If any of you all have seen the movie "Ghost", there is one scene on the movie in an elevator.... I am sure if you played that one out, you would get plenty of room :) lol

For those that have no seen it, 2 guys get on an elevator, one of which plays sick to weird out the others in the elevator. (coughing, explains the rashes on genitals, etc...) I did this one time at a bar with my friends (playing the contagious sick person)... cause some people sat at the table...so we decided to try that act out... let me say they were in a hurry to get away... it can be fun really.. hehe (bad me!!! bad me!!!!)

Ah, the Ruskie's have more in common with the people of my mother land than I thought. Polski's are a very pushy people. When I'm standing in line at the deli some of the old ladies has the fuckin nerve to push their knuckles (not hard) into my back when the line moves up if I don't IMMEDIATELY step up. It doesn't even bother me, I've had to deal with this my whole life.

I was downtown with my mother a while back and we were in a crowd of the upper-crust Americi. My mother just plowed right through the crowd while all the other people were patiently waiting for the crowd to move up. This blond chick turned around, completely astonished, and said to a guy next to her "she's pushing me, I can't believe the nerve of some people."

I love my people.

It sounds like Poles are exactly like Russians in this regard. When I first got to Russia an older woman pushed me because I wasn't getting on the train fast enough. I turned to her and told her "Don't push me." She gave me a look of confusion like "what did I do?"

You also have to give up your idea of pedestrian rights here. Drivers are just sure they have the right of way and won't even slow down if you are in the road. They just honk their horns and expect you to jump. When you fight it, it can be very stressful. After I learned to accept it, I just plan my street crossings around it and no more problems.

I love my people.

Ain't that the truth, though? My parents, especially my father, are very much like that. If you hold him up, expect to hear about it. Not in a rude or ugly fashion, but a definite message you're holding up the works and need to get your ass in gear. I am rather like that too, and recall a trip to the bank's drive-thru recently, when the teller for some reason had to do the transaction over again, taking 10 minutes to do a 30-second job. I patiently waited for an Iron Maiden song to finish, then yelled at her through speakers.

Pushy, mayhap, but I got my money a minute later. Slava! :)

Try getting off the bus in San Francisco when twenty elderly Chinese women (they always travel in large packs) are trying to get on. You need a baseball bat to make your way through!! :eek::eek:

Curtdude, you can verify this for me.

IBF

Thanks for all the moral support! You all are great. But since partners in my firm and clients use the same elevators, I'm gonna pass on the aggressive jostle (no need getting fired), and I plead the 5th on IBF's observation...hehehehehe.

Hey Vigile, I've heard that Russians are real aggressive...I don't mind a bit o' jostling on the subway and buses (IBF's observation comes to mind). Btw, I'm reading a history of St. Petersburg called "Sunset at Midnight" and it's really a good history! You're lucky to live there.

Dianka, don't sweat it...you're off the hook for now. :grin: (You can see this thread as a 70s consciousness raising group therapy session hehehehe - break out the flares and platform shoes.) I'm talking more about princess-types who look at the elevator as their personal in-flight service to their office and treat the rest of us like servants.

I guess I'd have more nuts if my bosses and clients weren't around. Maybe I'm too diplomatic, but damnit the rent must be paid! :wink: But you can jostle me around any time, Tex!

Someday maybe I'll just blurt out: "Obviously the helipad on the roof is being repainted, so you can't take your personal helicopter and have to take the elevator with the rest of us commoners." :fdevil: I've got a big book of bitchy stuff to say the day I win the Lotto. :yellow:

....Next time some middle aged dude stands next to you looking at you and singing the Smurf song, you'll know it's me. Unless it just catches on or something.

At least I know you won't be singing that disco song by Michael Jackson we discussed a couple months ago...how the hell did it go: "we'll swing down on the boogie" Ha! :grin:

People who stare at me in the elevator ususally get a negative clothes review, such as "I guess mismatched polka dots and stripes are in this year." Shuts 'em right up.

I'm gonna pass on the aggressive jostle (no need getting fired), and I plead the 5th on IBF's observation...hehehehehe.

Pleading the Fifth! What a copout Curtdude.

I suppose my comment could appear mildly racist, but it is the truth. I lived near Chinatown and had to put up with it all time. I am taking a trip back to San Francisco in two weeks. I will gladly put up with the hassle just to get my hands on a real San Francisco style pot-sticker again. My mouth is watering already. Those women may not know bus etiquette, but they sure know how to cook.

IBF

Oh, I almost forgot.

Ellen DeGeneres in of her comedy sketches suggests the following when sharing an elevator.

Make eye contact with the other occupant and then say, “Hey, you wanna smell something really weird?” It’s supposed to be a good icebreaker.

I would like to try that one.

BTW, Ro-bear. Standing next to someone and starring at them is seen as kind of agressive, that's why people are bothered by it. Although the smirf song would break the tension.

It's confession time, Dianka. In truth, I have done this but once, on a dare, and I have boasted of it ever since. It's quite out of character for me.

Damn it, Curtdude, it's "we can ride the boogie", and now you've got it stuck in my head again! :Doh: Aargh!

I can't believe you remember that rant. :grin:

....Damn it, Curtdude, it's "we can ride the boogie", and now you've got it stuck in my head again! :Doh: Aargh!

I can't believe you remember that rant. :grin:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA :HaHa:

What's amazing is that YOU remember that song :notworthy: I thought you'd gotten a damned lobotomy just to forget that infamous song. The trauma it caused you was why it was (and continues to be) very funny. (Sorta S/M of me, I know.)