Goodbye Jesus

The Simplicity Of The Christian Message

ironhorse

3 hours ago, WalterP said:

Lies will get you judged, but if you have faith in Jesus, sins like lying will be forgiven.

So, its way better to lie by the mile than to yield one inch of faith.

If your faith fails you lose everything, but if you lie, then Jesus will intercede for you.

It would be nice if we could get one of them to admit to this.

Then we'd have to confront whether or not doubting is a sin. If so, then is it just as forgivable as any other sin? Like the sin of lying which is outlined as sin. Doubting Thomas, however, seems more questionable in terms of sin. 

As far as unpardonable sin, well, we've discussed that at length many times. Blasphemy generally means claiming to be god. Blaspheming the holy spirit in the same context would simply mean falsely claiming to be speaking from the holy spirit, another blasphemy akin to claiming to be god. Ellen White, founder of the SDA church in fact blasphemed the holy spirit in this way. She claimed to have the spirit of prophecy and has been found to have prophecied falsely. That sort of thing seems more in context with something unpardonable. 

That can go around and around. With differing opinions. Because the popular idea is that it means denying the holy spirit - probably most people are raised on that interpretation. Which I think is probably a wrong reading anyways. Out of context with the consistent meaning of blasphemy elsewhere. Jesus was accused of blasphemy for John 10:30. "I and the Father are one." 

Hopefully some christian will come along and we question them and see how far they're willing to go down which of many choices of rabbit hole. 

In a nut shell, we're facing several issues with this consideration. Seems like the making of a new debate when it pops up again. 

• 2 weeks later...

The simplicity of the Christian message:

We are all pigs deserving eternally burning for the crime of being created by an invisible being, who authors really really shitty books.

To add:

Christians are the cherry picking champions of the world. 

Hate gays, I'm in, says the believer

Give away all your wealth and live in austerity, no thanks, he adds, smugly, Jesus came to make me feel warm inside, He doesn't expect me to obey the stuff in the bible, I don't like.   

11 hours ago, JamesL said:

you all need to sell everything that you have and become homeless for god. follow luke 14 33

I'm not going to do that. 

https://kvoa.com/news/top-stories/2021/02/12/oklahoma-police-homeless-man-freezes-to-death-one-block-away-from-shelter/

"For an elder to die in a tent on a sidewalk in Tulsa, Oklahoma is a hard pill to swallow, and it should give us a moment for pause especially with what we are looking at over the next few days," Rev. Steve Whittaker of John 3:16 Mission said.

Tents dont keep people warm when it's subzero outside.

16 hours ago, JamesL said:

you all need to sell everything that you have and become homeless for god. follow luke 14 33

Nope.  I'm going to stay here in my fully-paid-off and modernized three-story Edwardian house, play my collection of clarinets, and occasionally go for a drive and bring home a tasty bottle of 18-year-old Scotch.

Why don't you sell everything you have, James?  (You can start by getting rid of your computer and any other devices that you use to connect to the Internet.)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, JamesL said:

if we die then we die. might as well since this world is getting worse and worse. at least ill be in heaven with my father.

No, James.  When you die, you'll simply be gone.  When your heart stops, the brain will die from lack of oxygen and everything you ever knew and believed will simply dissolve into organic mush.  Heaven is a myth.

• Super Moderator
54 minutes ago, Astreja said:

Why don't you sell everything you have, James?

Yeah, James, go ahead and sell your mom's basement and become homeless. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, JamesL said:

You first, Sparky.  Sell your tent, bike and computer and get back to us.

5 hours ago, JamesL said:

if we die then we die. might as well since this world is getting worse and worse. at least ill be in heaven with my father. why are you so afraid to die? is it because your scared that you know that god exists and are just trying to convince yourself that he doesn't

I'll be in the Summerland getting laid by Goddesses, pixies and nymphs. Have fun with your dad, bro. lol. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, midniterider said:

I'll be in the Summerland getting laid by Goddesses, pixies and nymphs. Have fun with your dad, bro. lol. 

And I'll be playing jazz in the house band in Valhalla, eating roast pork and drinking mead.

(For a while, anyway.  Lots to explore in the universe -- maybe I'll "borrow" a spaceship with Infinite Improbability Drive and swing through the Orion Nebula for a closer look.)

10 hours ago, Astreja said:

And I'll be playing jazz in the house band in Valhalla, eating roast pork and drinking mead.

(For a while, anyway.  Lots to explore in the universe -- maybe I'll "borrow" a spaceship with Infinite Improbability Drive and swing through the Orion Nebula for a closer look.)

The roast porks sounds delicious! 

I think I'm going to have Mexican for lunch today: carnitas-plate.jpg

10 hours ago, Astreja said:

Ahead warp factor 1. :)

12 hours ago, JamesL said:

I've already sold everything. I'm using a computer in the library to preach the gospel. god wouldn't mind since he knows im faithful, loyal, and obedient to him. look you can keep telling yourselves that nothing will happen. they did that in noahs days many years ago, they did that in jesus days, and now its happening again, ah history repeats itself doesn't it. just watch a voice in the desert and you'lll realize that everything you believe in falls apart when faced with reality. plus gary habermas has alreayd proven christianity

So you're using the fruits of other people's labor... the library, paid for by tax payer dollars ... by people who WORK ... so you can continue to be a lazy bum. I bet the library is a bit warmer than the tent you claim to live in. How many hours do you spend in the warm library a day? The library, where you can read, post nonsense on the internet, take a piss, stay hydrated and get a bum shower at the sink. 

Claim your righteous non materialistic way of living ... while at the same time using stuff the 'unrighteous' materialistic supposedly hell-bound people provide for you. What a hypocrite.

tl/dr: JamesL uses stuff owned by other people to tell us all that it's bad to own stuff. lol. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/8/2016 at 1:16 AM, ironhorse said:

I love the Christian message for its simplicity.

I don’t need a priest, a guru or obey long list of man-made requirements.

I simply believe in Christ and go from there.

I believe that you believe this, but I don't believe it is true.

What is the very very basics of Christianity theology. Well I think it is that you should both fear AND love the Lord will ALL your strength and mind and heart. I think that is impossible. i really do. 

Love AND fear is just ridiculous, one or the other, surely. 
Then Jesus tells you to hate your family and yourself and give away ALL that you have. Some Christians do, I will grant, give up all that they have, but they are a tiny minority.

I love my wife and my family, trying to force myself to hate them and instead to try and believe myself in love with a murderous , invisible being would cause me extreme mental anguish. To love something you cannot see until after you die in place of your family that loves and supports you is not a healthy mindset. That way lays to the road of madness. 

What do you mean , "go from there". how do you make God happy, I am sincerely curious.

On 3/23/2021 at 6:27 PM, JamesL said:

if we die then we die. might as well since this world is getting worse and worse. at least ill be in heaven with my father. why are you so afraid to die? is it because your scared that you know that god exists and are just trying to convince yourself that he doesn't

Hope you have the 100 percent correct theology old chap. 99.9999999999999 percent will not cut it. Yahweh the merciless DEMANDS perfection. A bit like that kid in the "Twilight Zone", who forced EVERYONE to think happy thoughts all the time...OR ELSE. 

3000 Gods throughout human history. You disbelieve in 2999 of them and we just add an extra one. You are almost there, old chap, almost.

And what are we to do with the money we receive if we sell everything? After all, money is the root of all kinds of evil, which means we get rid of useful things like shelter and open ourselves to evil. So, do we have to give the money away, tempting others into evil?

Perhaps you should take that back to the prosperity gospel morons on christianchat and ask them what they think. I suspect they'll tell you to buy a gun and kill someone who isn't pro-life or something similarly stupid.

23 hours ago, AliT said:

And what are we to do with the money we receive if we sell everything? After all, money is the root of all kinds of evil, which means we get rid of useful things like shelter and open ourselves to evil. So, do we have to give the money away, tempting others into evil?

Perhaps you should take that back to the prosperity gospel morons on christianchat and ask them what they think. I suspect they'll tell you to buy a gun and kill someone who isn't pro-life or something similarly stupid.

I guess it's ok to just sell your stuff once eh?

• Super Moderator
27 minutes ago, JamesL said:

God is willing to provide for us like a father if we let him 

What are you waiting for?

• Like 1

Should tent and bicycle companies sell their stuff? 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JamesL said:

Well A voice in the desert burned money in public. Look we don’t need money if we could live like the animals then you would realize life is not hard. God is willing to provide for us like a father if we let him 

Give up the bike, give up the tent and don't dumpster dive or take anything from anyone or any source, I'll give it a week before you die of thirst. Sit under a tree and wait for god to come to you

No one is stopping you.  You die and you get to live with Jesus, What a WIN!!!!

What on Earth are you waiting for......

So they burnt money that could have been used for the sick and elderly to prove that they love god. Why didn't they let snakes bite them to prove that they would not be harmed. Is it because they would die.

My days, you really are a special kind of stupid. 

39 minutes ago, Castiel233 said:

Give up the bike, give up the tent and don't dumpster dive or take anything from anyone or any source, I'll give it a week before you die of thirst. 

No one is stopping you.  You die and you get to live with Jesus, What a WIN!!!!

What on Earth are you waiting for......

Apparently this hypocrite needs a warm library with internet and a bathroom in order to tell us all that we only need a tent and bicycle. Where does he eat? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, midniterider said:

Apparently this hypocrite needs a warm library with internet and a bathroom in order to tell us all that we only need a tent and bicycle. Where does he eat? 

Maybe he eats the bike and the next day a new bike is Risen, for all things are possible with God!!

18 hours ago, JamesL said:

Well A voice in the desert burned money in public.

Did anyone examine the bills?  They could've been counterfeits.

Look we don’t need money if we could live like the animals then you would realize life is not hard. God is willing to provide for us like a father if we let him 

It's not a matter of needing money.  Quite frankly, I think money is an excellent idea - it enables us to store up our work and get compensated for it whenever and however we want.  Much better than raising a flock of chickens and trying to exchange a hen for a pair of shoes.

You must also live in a rather warm climate.  If I had tried to live in a tent in Winnipeg in mid-February, when the wind chill was approaching -50C, I would have almost certainly died.

And there is no fucking way that I would put any trust at all in a mythological "father" that tossed its first two kids out of Eden, drowned virtually all the people and animals on the planet, allowed Satan to torture Job in order to win a bet, and finally set Jesus up to be executed.