Goodbye Jesus

Will Atheists Ever Be A Majority? How It Might Happen...

TABA

I'd like to think the Muslims are loosing a lot of children over to secularism, freethought and the general variety of non-belief and agnosticism that follows. They enter Europe and the US and the kids get a strong dose of secular society, the internet, education, etc. Hopefully the breed us out strategy ends in a complete back fire. 

• Like 1

On 4/20/2017 at 0:50 PM, Joshpantera said:

Here's a closer look at the Golden Rule and how apologists have tried to bolster christianity's version of it above those that came before:

http://www.debunking-christianity.com/2009/08/golden-rule-and-christian-apologetics.html

I think it would be a good idea for kids to be exposed to the full scope history of treating others in ways they'd like to be treated and how it appeared in various religions leading eventually into it's inclusion in christianity. And emphasize how it's relevant to believers and non-believers in god alike because it's a human social code of conduct more so than anything to do with gods handing down wisdom. I find it odd that so many kids are oblivious in the absence of a christian majority. 

Thanks for the link. It was a great read. I particularly like this:

An even more "finely tuned" rule might be what some call "The Platinum Rule," namely, "Do Unto Others as They Would Have You Do Unto Them." In other words, take time to learn about your neighbor's tastes, their mood, their nature, and their temperment, before you start "doing" things "unto them." Treat others the way they want to be treated.

I think I'll go with that one.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Loopylou said:

An even more "finely tuned" rule might be what some call "The Platinum Rule," namely, "Do Unto Others as They Would Have You Do Unto Them." In other words, take time to learn about your neighbor's tastes, their mood, their nature, and their temperment, before you start "doing" things "unto them." Treat others the way they want to be treated.

I dunno that could back fire lmao.

If my neighbor was a swinger he would probably love to swap wives with me, and that just ain't gonna happen!

DB

• Like 1

^:lol::lol::lol:

8 hours ago, Loopylou said:

Joking aside, I suppose we can fine tune it even more: "Do unto Others as They Would Have You Do Unto Them, Within Reason." 

1 hour ago, Joshpantera said:

Joking aside, I suppose we can fine tune it even more: "Do unto Others as They Would Have You Do Unto Them, Within Reason." 

That should cover it. We could call it the gold plated platinum rule. :)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Joshpantera said:

I'd like to think the Muslims are loosing a lot of children over to secularism, freethought and the general variety of non-belief and agnosticism that follows. They enter Europe and the US and the kids get a strong dose of secular society, the internet, education, etc. Hopefully the breed us out strategy ends in a complete back fire. 

It would be great if that was the end result!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Citsonga said:

It would be great if that was the end result!

I have a hard time seeing superstition increasing into the modern world rather than decreasing. 

41 minutes ago, Joshpantera said:

I have a hard time seeing superstition increasing into the modern world rather than decreasing. 

I hope you are right, but while the human need for superstition surely diminishes as knowledge grows, there may always be a need for 'something' immaterial to believe in.  That's why I think it's so important that atheistic versions of 'spirituality' be promoted, whether they involve meditation or other approaches.  I think that theism is becoming increasing discredited in the current generation, especially here in the west.  There just needs to be something else to meet the 'spritual' needs of the many who find strict materialism unsatisfying.  I use the word 'spiritual' in quotes because I wish I knew a word that conveyed the concept without having the accompanying baggage of belief in deities.

• Like 1

That's what I like about Sam Harris taken on the issue of spirituality without religion. It speaks to that need in society.