Goodbye Jesus

Alternatives To Saying 'god Bless You'

Wittyusername

I used to say 'God bless you' often. Today, the guy at the takeaway gave me free chips as they were soon to start a new batch. All I could say was 'thanks for that.' Before I would have said to the guy 'God bless you!' - I was invoking the power of the creator of the universe and now I am just me.

Could just saying'bless you' work in such situations? A shorthand for ' I don't believe in any deity but I just have general benevolence towards you and wish good things come your way'?

• Super Moderator

I never have the urge to bless anyone. If the occasion calls for it I go with a thank you, great job, I owe you, well done, hope to pay you back someday for your kindness, you did a good thing, etc.

I would just say "Aw thanks!! That's so sweet!"

"God bless you" is just Xian-speak for "I know you did something exceptional but I'm not going to thank or repay you--jeeziz will do that." It's a copout.

Just practice saying "Thank you!! I appreciate it" and variants; it'll feel natural soon!

I don't know if its just me, but I still say ""Merry Christmas" or "Bless you!" I look more at the social utility rather than being omni-consistent all the time about every utterance that comes out of your mouth.  Does hardly anyone today even believe in the superstitious roots of why we say "bless you" when someone else sneezes?  No not really, but it is perceived as a general kindness and acknowledgement of another person which I think is valuable.  

To thank, I say "Thanks." And if it needs more than that, I'll say, "Thanks. I really appreciate that."

For a sneeze, I say "gesundheit." Here is some trivia I found re. "God bless you" for a sneeze:

It was once believed that the soul could exit the body during a sneeze, causing ill health, so folks said "God bless you" to ward off this danger. (https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gesundheit)

• Like 1

Hey older, thanks for sharing that theory. I am familiar with that one as well as the 'ring a ring a rosies one' whereby you said bless you because back in the day, someone who was sick could easily die before you saw them again.

I still say 'bless you' in that context because it has just become a normal post-sneeze thing to say.

"May you be eaten first."

• Like 3

• Super Moderator

My post-sneeze remark is always, "science save you". If anyone asks why I say that, I tell them it is because science is more effective than god's blessing. Few sneeze twice in my presence; and I'm okay with that.

• Like 2

Jeddah,Burnedout, The Redneck professor - love those!

"Seven blessings"

"May the Force be with you" (I haven't seen Star Wars but there's an idea)

"May the odds be ever in your favor"

• Like 2

I don't say anything when someone sneezes. Unless they spew it around the room - then I say "cover you face when you sneeze!"

Anyone else feel like puking when someone says "Bless you!"  ???

Don't know why that bugs me so much. Perhaps it's because the folks that I am exposed to the most when that is begin said are for *&^%'ing pious.

• Super Moderator

If someone sneezes a big sneeze or several sneezes in a row, I laughingly say "Hope you didn't blow your brain out."  GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

• Like 2

"Did you get any on ya?"

• Like 1

"May the Force be with you" (I haven't seen Star Wars but there's an idea)

"May the odds be ever in your favor"

NYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERD

3RZC3Wq.jpg

I'll take that as a compliment, Jedah. thanks.gif

I never really got started in the "God bless you" thing .... I thought it was kinda dumb to bless people for sneezing too.

• 3 months later...

Even worse is when someone says "bless you" after you sneeze, and you look like a dick if you don't sweetly say "why thank you." Once back in high school I got "blessed" in class, I didn't say thank you, and the girl sitting behind the "blesser" whispered indignantly to her friend (loud enough for me to hear), "he didn't say thank you!"

I have similar hang ups. I still say "God knows" as in when I got in an arguement with the lead at work I said the next day "God only knows what he told the manager" but God doesn't know because god doesn't exist. But I've said it so long it's like second nature. 

Also "oh my god" "good god" as in good God! What are you doing? Don't do that lol. And probably some similar ones that I don't realise I'm saying.

I have come quite fond of "Goddamn" tho. I can Goddamn about anything now. And another fun variation is Goddamnit.  And I like the born again version with "Fucking Christ" Lmao!

DB 

Eh, I just say "Bless You" anyway. It's not like it matters. I'm just wired to say it. Hell, I'll say grace at the family table if it means keeping peace. Doesn't mean I actually believe in it. 

• 2 weeks later...

I find myself saying “Bless you” without the “God” when someone sneezes, just out of social convention. I don’t find any other occasions to use that expression.

As for when people say “God bless you” to me, that doesn’t bother me. If it did, I’d quickly go insane.

• Like 2

It's hilarious when someone is having a sneezing fit and someone else has gotten into a blessing feedback loop. "Bless you! Bless you! Bless you! Bless you! Are you done yet? Bless you!!"

"Bless you" is better than "God bless you" anyway. Saying "God bless you" is asking god to be the middle man on the blessing. Saying simply "Bless you" is like giving your own blessing directly.

Bless you! = I hope you have good luck/health today.

• Like 1

Some pagans say "blessed be", though I've never worked out quite why or what this means.

As I am the dealer in extra strength coffee in my workplace, I've been know to use "blessed bean" instead...

cf864d24dec6856c1b97c3c049790e5e.jpg

mwc

• Like 1

To thank, I say "Thanks." And if it needs more than that, I'll say, "Thanks. I really appreciate that."

For a sneeze, I say "gesundheit." Here is some trivia I found re. "God bless you" for a sneeze:

It was once believed that the soul could exit the body during a sneeze, causing ill health, so folks said "God bless you" to ward off this danger. (https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gesundheit)

My father always said gesundheit! when I was growing up and that's what I've said ever since. Bless you was never in our family's lexicon even though my family is religious. 

As you note, it means 'to your health'. In Russia, they say Byd'zdarovia, which is the same thing. In Italy they say 'Salute'! again, same. I think the bless you thing is unique to our culture. Most focus on health it seems. 

Just for fun, I usually say "namaste." Probably only works if you're Indian though. :)