Goodbye Jesus

Hello!

garrisonjj

I am a 48 year old man who is fed up with the catholic religion and religion in general. My life was confessing,,,,receiving,,,,being "good",,,then sinning again my whole life. I never had a prayer answered and it all just became so stupid to me. I haven't gone to church for about 2 months and feel great,,,,although I do go through bouts of guilt.Ironically,,,my son is receiving 1st holy communion,,,and i would never deny him religion,,,let him decide when older. I go and receive"sacrilege"",,just to give an example.

This is very hard,,,but my life was living a lie.If there is a God,,,hell take care of me no matter what I do or do not do,,,Please give me your opinions Thanks

although I do go through bouts of guilt.

Of course you do. Isn't that what the catholic religion does best, instill that wonderful sense of guilt?

I'm an ex-catholic too, in case you didn't guess. ;)

I have my nephew's first communion coming up soon too, and I'm not sure what to do about taking communion myself. I really don't want to do anything that will take away from his day, but don't feel quite right about "playing along" and taking communion. Oh well, I don't want to take away from your first post either!

So, Welcome! :wave:

garrisonjj,

First from me, offer of a Welcome, and invite to spend on.ass/on.line time here for the time you can spare.

Tons to read, folks to contact, and people who have lived and done what you are living through.

When you first cast off beginning your journey into waters uncharted the fear is there. What can happen here at ExC is help you find some direction, clarification and support for what decisions you'll end up making.

Like a wine bottle opened, we all need to decant, normalize and find a comfortable spot in which we can learn to do for ourselves.

ExC is a good place for that, and again you are welcome to come and find a place here.

kevinL

I am a 48 year old man who is fed up with the catholic religion and religion in general. My life was confessing,,,,receiving,,,,being "good",,,then sinning again my whole life. I never had a prayer answered and it all just became so stupid to me. I haven't gone to church for about 2 months and feel great,,,,although I do go through bouts of guilt.Ironically,,,my son is receiving 1st holy communion,,,and i would never deny him religion,,,let him decide when older. I go and receive"sacrilege"",,just to give an example.

This is very hard,,,but my life was living a lie.If there is a God,,,hell take care of me no matter what I do or do not do,,,Please give me your opinions Thanks

I've been an atheist for about 17 years but forgive me when I say the following because it might sound odd coming from an atheist. When the Nag Hammadi library was found it was shunned by the Catholic Church for several reasons. One is that it showed a more human Jesus than the NT and the other because of Christianity's dirty little secret. The dirty little secret is this...God knows people sin, it was God's choice that we do sin, and God punishes no one for sin. Hell is a post-Jesus concept, there is plenty of information out there on the history and evolution of the Christian hell concept. Jews have no concept of hell, never did. Jesus was a Jew. One of the Catholic beliefs was that Jesus decended into hell, where the dead sleep, and brought those who were there out. His sacrifice and death freed us from the possibility of hell. The Church maintains there is a hell for control of the masses. If there were no threat of punishment, no one would go to church and pay their tithes. For a historical example look at the history of death bed confessions. You have to ask yourself what is really going on. Is the Catholic Church or any church stupid and that is why you left your religion or are YOUR beliefs stupid. Draw a line between yourself and the Church first, then see if you are really abandoning God and becoming an atheist or anti-religious establisment. the reason I say all this, being an atheist and all, is because people should be atheist because they don't believe in God and not because of the doctrine of a church or the weakness of a Bible.

Welcome JJ!

This is a great site for asking questions, getting other viewpoints or just venting. I hope you find some of what you're looking for here. I look forward to your posts.

Welcome garrisonjj,

You've found a great place to start your journey. This is a great site to read, relax, and learn from people that are all on the same quest as you. As you read more and more and learn about the TRUTH behind xtianity, you'll know you made the right choice. :grin:

Thanks for sharing, hope to hear more of your "story" in the future!

-Gliph

Welcome, garrison!

I too am an ex-Catholic, but my experience with the Church™ wasn't too terrible. I was an altar boy for forever, but never got molested, didn't get raised with the whole guilt-trip stuff, but eventually left it because I realized it is as inane as any other Xian sect. They just cherry-pick the Babble like all other Xians do and emphasize what they feel they should emphasize - but there's almost nothing but crap in the Babble. Shit under a magnifying glass is shit, no matter who's holding the glass.

But I digress. Xianity of any stripe teaches that we are garbage and without Jesus™ we will be burned up like garbage - but for all eternity. It teaches slavery to an invisible god who never shows himself, self-hatred and hatred for one's own family, friends, neighbors, race, and all of humanity, and it encourages one to revolve one's life around the sect. It is the garbage that needs to be burnt.

Welcome again!

Welcome, garisonjj! :clap:

You're among friends here. Come on in and get comfy!